Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Takes forever to get into a game

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Here's the process that happens at the end of every match.

Victory/Defeat -> winner poses -> play of the game -> vote on players -> exp -> game que -> skirmish -> skirmish -> skirmish -> skirmish -> assemble your team -> wait a minute for the match to start -> ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME

wtf

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Zeik

What are you playing on? Skirmishes are extremely rare on PS4 so far. I've only gotten one since launch. Usually it's just straight to the match.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By 49th

Yeah, I'm finding this annoying too. At the end of almost every match at least 2 people leave and then it sends me back to the menu to start searching for a completely new game again, even though I'm sure there should be enough players left. Is this just happening to me? Then inevitably it will connect me to a game on a map I recently played and don't want to play again. It's actually insane how you aren't able to select the map you want to play on. The times it sends me to skirmish I literally just leave and start searching again because it's a waste of time, it's not long enough to actually skirmish on and it's not short enough to justify existing. Skirmish is a weird half-step that happens for no reason. They could separate skirmish into a new mode because I would actually like to be able to practice heroes in a more casual setting against real players. Combined with the long 2 minute wait at the start it is frustrating. This is the worst part of the game for me, I really wish there were community servers.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Efesell  Online

I matchmake and get into a game in about 15 seconds on PC, not sure what's going wrong for you.

I do turn off skirmish though. Not sure it would matter.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

PC Americas server for me. I was pretty annoyed when I posted that, didn't mean to be so negative. The game itself is great. I'll try turning off skirmishes and see if that speeds it up.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

We've been playing the game for around 20 hours on PC (Americas) and barely seen a skirmish.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On Xbox I had a few 1 or more minute waits at first but now it's more like 15-20 seconds, which is perfectly acceptable.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MezZa

It sounded like there may have been some server issues causing more skirmishes than normal. I saw reports of people saying they were jumping from skirmish to skirmish and not being placed in a game. I just played for the last 2 hours though and was able to get into an actual game within the lower half of a minute each time, so it may be better now. Or maybe I'm just getting lucky. PC(Americas)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On Xbox, I've never been in a skirmish so i'm not sure what that is. Less than 30 seconds to get in most games for me, maybe you're just playing at odd hours?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm on PC in the US. I've loaded into a skirmish on a few rare occasions, but in general, after matchmaking into the first match (maybe 15 seconds max) every subsequent match loads in almost instantly.

If you do hit a skirmish that goes on for longer than a few minutes though, you should probably just quit and enter matchmaking again. It seems like they can occasionally get stuck in a loop of people leaving and new people joining without ever filling up. One skirmish I got into went on for at least 10 minutes with people joining/quitting before I eventually decided to quit and then was able to quickly just re-enter the queue and get into a match.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

What is a skirmish? Genuinely never seen one on EU PC.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a skirmish once on PS4 USA, hell i've only had a wait time for a match exceed 1 minute maybe 3 or 4 times.

Past that i've gotten into games in <30 seconds usually.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've never waited more than a minute or two in queue. I also don't have skirmish on though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaser324  Moderator

@bollard: It'll occasionally throw you onto a server that isn't full yet and you'll be able to run around the map and just skirmish with other players while waiting. It'll do this even if you don't have the skirmish while waiting option enabled.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@bollard: It'll occasionally throw you onto a server that isn't full yet and you'll be able to run around the map and just skirmish with other players while waiting. It'll do this even if you don't have the skirmish while waiting option enabled.

Oh huh, every time there hasn't been enough people after a game I've been dropped to the main menu until it finds more. Does it happen when someone quits after the teams have been found at the start?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chaser324  Moderator

@bollard: I don't know what the conditions are that make it happen because it so rarely does.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I usually roll five or six deep when I'm playing, so it takes us a little bit before we find a match. I don't know if there's something where they are trying to matchmake you with another group or not. However, we've had our fair amount of skirmish times, and only three or four times have we sat inside a skirmish map for upwards of five minutes waiting around.

But for the most part, it's pretty smooth and I never mind. If it weren't for those skirmish moments, I wouldn't have learned some of the tricks that I know now.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have not had that problem on PC with the NA servers. It happened once on launch day, but it is not a recurrent issue.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've barely had problems in that regard. I constantly get in matches

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.