Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Things about Overwatch characters you want to see tweaked

• 191 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrostyRyan

So, the game just came out. It's an online only multiplayer game, so naturally shit will get updated periodically until the end of time. With it being new though, I'm sure there's quite a few things about characters we all want to change at least slightly, right?

Bastion: Tone that gatling gun damage down, guys. A little.

D.va: Tone that damage UP. For real, I feel like she's slightly underpowered for a character with a big mech? Either make her more accurate or pack more of a punch.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They basically said today that they will change D.va for the better but not change her damage output. It's weird to me because she's the character I'm having the most success with. She's super mobile for a tank and her special attack is extremely powerful.

I'm no expert for sure so maybe she's not great when you're serious about your Overwatch , but I did very well with her.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Efesell

Mei needs a once over. She seems incredibly strong across the board and I feel like even if you play a character that's good against her you have to really outskill that player a great deal as well.

D.VA has to get point blank to do reasonable damage and her critbox is the largest of the entire cast. I feel like I'm wasting everyone's time by using her since there are way better tanks and way better harassers. Her ult also seems kinda worthless once you learn how limited it is. Unless you can do sick bank shots with it.

@fear_the_booboo: What I saw a few days ago from Blizz was that they considered her to be very survivable which is heartbreaking.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bastion is the only one that I think needs a considerable nerf. Either lower his attack or health. I'm just tired of POTGs going to Bastions who killed 5 people by standing still.

Also, maybe turn Torbjorn's turrets from insta-lock to leading or something. It's not as big of an issue, but it's super frustrating when those things are tracking you the second one of your pixels enter range.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much of the Bastion woes are just people feeding themselves to Bastion. I don't think he seems particularly overpowered when you consider how many hard counters there are for him. Maybe his head not being protected in sentry would be a reasonable change. I bet they tried that though.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

D.Va is a tank character. She isn't there to deal huge damage, she is there to be a bullet sponge and to pop her shields.

Reinhardt's ultimate is pretty poor all things considered. It needs to be a radius thing, and not just who is in front of him.

HexyVexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For how long it lasts, I don't feel like Winston's barrier should break? More than one Tobjorn turret or Bastion, and it dissolves.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorbit

@drdarkstryfe: Eh, she's a flanker. Sure she's in the tank category but she's not a damage sponge. I wouldn't play her as a damage sponge. Her mobility would be going to waste if you did that.

In my opinion McCree needs a slight nerf when it comes to his ability to take down tanks. He's good against all heroes right now and I think he tears through tanks a little too easily.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ichthy

The only character that is super broken right now is McCree, which I'm glad they're fixing. His current design and gameplay is just braindead dumb and too strong. At least Bastion has some hard counters.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D.Va is a tank character. She isn't there to deal huge damage, she is there to be a bullet sponge and to pop her shields.

Reinhardt's ultimate is pretty poor all things considered. It needs to be a radius thing, and not just who is in front of him.

D.VA functionally has half health at all times because her model is huge and her head is gigantic and center mass. You can burn her down at range and demolish her if she even tries to get close enough to hurt you. She's a bullet paper towel.

What they clearly want her to do is harassment. Her mobility is fantastic and she could serve that role really well...if she could ever actually kill the people she ambushes without having the mech be headshotted to death first.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If anything they should just reduce D.Va's movement speed penalty while shooting and adjust her giant and easy to hit headshot zone. D.Va is already good, the last thing she needs to be is a flying armored tank with even more damage. Plus she already gets an "extra life" and can actually continue to do damage and be somewhat effective outside of her mech. If her damage is boosted at all then I hope Blizzard also looks at making D.Va reload those guns instead of having an unlimited magazine.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd be surprised if Hanzo doesn't see some sort of nerf. I understand the thought behind giving his ult such a huge range and making it go through walls...but at the same time it goes through fucking walls. I cannot tell you have infuriating it is to walk out of spawn after he's fired his ult only to be trapped in some small hallway, getting killed, and then waiting to respawn. It hasn't happened a ton, but it's happened enough that I feel like it's considered a problem. They don't need to take away it's ability to travel through objects, but I feel like they need to add some sort of background math that the more objects it travels through, the less damage is does. Judging by all the PotGs I've seen, most of the kills people get with the thing are clearly fucking accidents.

Mei is probably up there too. She has one of the best kits in the games in my opinion. That said, I feel like should just tone down how fast her gun freezes people and/or give the opposition the ability to destroy her dumb ice cocoon. Like, in my opinion, she's a bit too good at controlling at area and defending herself. Keep her zone control where it is, but make her think twice about picking fights.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drdarkstryfe: She's no bullet sponge. Her mech goes down super quick. In fact, fix that instead of her damage output

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Efesell

Even if you don't hit Mei with a lot of nerfs I would really appreciate her Ult having a more recognizable call out for how devastating it can be to a team. I feel like I only hear what she says in Chinese as I'm already freezing to death.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

McCree's Fan the Hammer definitely needs a change. Currently you can kill every hero in the game even when you are at mid-range because the accuracy and damage is far too high. I think a much wider bullet spread could work while still being viable for killing heroes if you are at point-blank range. For anything further away McCree should have to left click. I also think the flash bang could do with having the hitbox reduced.

I wouldn't mind seeing Widowmaker's charge time increased and base damage reduced too and possibly increasing Zenyatta's health to prevent him dying in 1 hit.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

Yeah, I agree as well that the rate of fire for Widowmaker's fully charged shots is too fast. It's kind of ridiculous right now actually.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bastion, McCree, Mei and Widowmaker are the top 4 OP characters currently in the game and each one needs a slight nerf to at least put them on even ground with everyone else (except for DVa she needs a buff)

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make Lucio faster. Maybe add a second character I want to play.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cerberus3dog

Bastion - decrease accuracy in turret mode

Mercy - increase gun damage or rate of fire (equivalent to D.Va by herself outside of her mech)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20 MattyFTM  Moderator

Bastion is super easy to flank and kill once you know where he is.The problem is too many people just run out right in front of him and expect to be able to survive.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Mei should probably get nerfed slightly maybe down here damage a bit, or let it take a little bit longer for her to freeze someone.

Also I think they should up the damage on Genji’s ultimate. It’s not cool that you need to hit people 2 to 4 times with it before you kill someone.

Bastion is the only one that I think needs a considerable nerf. Either lower his attack or health. I'm just tired of POTGs going to Bastions who killed 5 people by standing still.

Also, maybe turn Torbjorn's turrets from insta-lock to leading or something. It's not as big of an issue, but it's super frustrating when those things are tracking you the second one of your pixels enter range.

Completely agree for both of those characters.

dstreelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dstreelm

@cerberus3dog: I think the decrease in accuracy is a good compromise, or maybe increase the damage falloff at range. Bastion is annoying but he can be dealt with (except when protected by 3 Reinharts on the payload).

And I agree that Mercy could really use something to increase her survivability, I'm just not sure what that is. The problem with her mobility ability is it depends on your team being within line of sight. When youre in a pub filled with Tracers, Hanzos and Widows it can be hard to find a teammate to retreat to when you get in trouble.

I always see people being successful with D.VA but every time I play with her I cant help but feel like shes super weak. Her mobility is amazing but her guns do nothing at anything more than very short range, and with that huge crit spot, goes down super fast. Something that I think might make her better at being a sort of annoy tank is to remove or reduce the movement slow down from her guns. Maybe her LMB could be full movement speed but shorter range, and her RMB has the slower movement speed but increases range.

Mei can sometimes be a problem but she can be dealt with...the only thing that feels off on her is her ability to pick off snipers. Dont get me wrong, I love playing as Mei but her range feels like it may need to be brought down.

There may be more but thats my list

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With so many ways to cripple Bastion it just feels like if you nerf his damage output he just immediately becomes a total Why Bother of a character. Accuracy degradation or tweaking the effective range could work but I really think that character needs the ability to very harshly punish people who just think they can run directly into an area he's covering without consequence.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

I'm actually having more trouble with Torb's turrets than Bastion. I've never won a match against a team that had three or more Torbs. Once you have that many level 2 turrets (and eventually level 3 when they pop their ult) it makes getting through the area impossible. I almost wonder if the turrets should blow up when he dies, or if the cool down on his turret placement should not start until his turret is destroyed. As it is now, Torb can sit in cover and constantly have a turret up the entire match.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For how long it lasts, I don't feel like Winston's barrier should break? More than one Tobjorn turret or Bastion, and it dissolves.

Yeah, if we can talk about tanks other than D. Va for 2 seconds, I agree that Reinhardt's ult could use a buff so that it's useful on anyone other than super dumb teams. A handful of melee characters might try to flank around a Reinhardt and you could ult them, but other than that, the only time you're likely to be near a group of enemies to ult them is if you dash in, but if you're dashing then people are going to avoid you ASAP anyways. It needs some kind of minor range buff or just be an AoE all around him instead of just a cone in front of him so at least if you're really in the thick of things you can ult potentially a bunch of people.

And yeah, in general I think Winston is a pretty underpowered tank and he doesn't seem to get played very much in the matches I've played. His barrier can't absorb damage for shit; if it's going to be that weak, then knock like 3 or 4 seconds off the cooldown because it's near useless currently. His ult is a hilarious distraction but I've rarely seen it accomplish very much relative to some of the other tank ults.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than the proposed changes coming from Blizzard I'd like to see the following.

I think Torbjorn's cooldown for building turrets should be increased to 15-20 seconds. This would incentivize repairing turrets rather than just letting them do their thing and just instantly being able to build a new one once its dead.

It might seem a bit silly but I wish Soldier 76's ammo count in his gun was upped by 5 but reduce the amount of time his ultimate is able to be active. I think that the timer should last one full clip and allow rockets to be homing during that time as well.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: Rockets do in fact home during the ult. It's great.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because Bastion is play of the game bait doesn't mean he automatically deserves a signficant nerf. Might as well nerf Junkrat's super while they're at it. Kinda tired of seeing that thing get play of the game all the time too.

Bastion does have counters, you just have to learn to not run face first into him. Honestly if I were to change one thing about him it would have nothing to do with his damage output, it would be his self-heal. Having crazy damage ouput while in turret mode is one thing, but why give him a full self-heal with no cooldown and no restrictions on top of that? That may not be why people hate him, but he doesn't deserve it. At least force him to exit turret mode to use it.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I felt like they didn't for some reason. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the pro-tip.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buff the number of guns Reaper is able to pile on the ground.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one thing I wonder is how Blizzard is going to balance the game to satisfy both the casual and competitive players. It seems like a lot of people are having problems with Bastion and Mei, but according to the competitive community both are rarely used, and Reinhardt and Winston are both considered very good and probably don't need buffing.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bastion does not need a nerf. He has so many hard counters that if you're losing to him, it's because of your team fucking up.

Mei is a bit too strong, I feel. She is way to strong one-on-one due to her high health and quick freezing. Bring her down to 200 health and see what happens.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

@efesell: I felt like they didn't for some reason. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the pro-tip.

Well I guess more accurately it just auto aims the rockets the same way it does your regular shots. The rockets won't chase down a target that dodges them if that's what you meant.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Definitely give Bastion's turret an accuracy cone (yes it's counterable, but it's just such an asinine way to play the game).

I think Reinhardt's sheild could stand to be realistically breakable, rather than more or less indestructable.

As a pretty good Widowmaker I'm totally ok with the charge taking longer, it is too quick at the moment - but on the other hand I'd really like to see some kind of slow or disorientation effect from the mine. The early warning it gives is dandy, but the pointlessly low DOT is, well, pointless.

Roadhog's hitscan hookshot could stand to be a whole lot less hitscan too... that might be fine on consoles but put a mouse in that players hand and that thing is a free kill every 6 seconds.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I just don't think any character should be one shot killable by a charged Widowmsker or Hanzo body shot. One hit kills need to be reserved for head shots only no matter what class you're playing.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D.va is mostly fine. She's the one I currently play the most and I've had games with gold for eliminations, damage done and objective kills as her. She could move a bit faster while shooting, but outside of that, she seems quite strong if you know how to play to her strengths.

I'm level 25 now and it's been a while since I've seen a Bastion been a real problem in games. I think he's fine.

As someone that likes playing as the Zen-master if on support, the poor guy needs some buffs. They gutted him during the closed beta as he was actually too strong, but went way too far. Some buffs I would like to see (not necessarily all of them, but some would be appreciated):

- Extend timer for how long Orb of Harmony stays on an ally after LoS is broken. Zenyatta is the least mobile character in the game, meaning that it is very easy for LoS to break after you throw an orb on a Pharah or Genji or something.
    - Timer for Orb of Discord is fine.
    - Bit of extra health. It is infuriating to play as Zenyatta with an enemy Widowmaker. 150hp puts Zenyatta in a position to be constantly one-shot with a fully charged body-shot. Doesn't help that I've been on a lot of teams that just seem to be blind to Widowmakers or Hanzos making themselves comfortable and just taking constant free potshots at us. It's one of the reason I like D.va actually, as she is more than capable of disrupting these heroes.

Fuck McCree.
    Fuck his stun that has a hitbox the size of Australia.
    Fuck his 70 damage per shot right-click.
    Fuck his dodge roll that gives him an instant second right-click in case the first stun + right click didn't finish the job.
    Only entertaining thing about McCree at this point is that a lot of players are now very predictable with him. If I know that a McCree is waiting for me to enter a room to do his cool stun + right click combo I just activate Defense Matrix to nullify it and then try to kill him.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? No one is going to mention reaper? I think he is OP. I think the damage output matched with his health needs to be adjusted. That character almost comes off as a hero. He can move pretty quick I. Combat and those dual guns can whipe a tank pretty quickly if your not careful. He is the one character I feel like people will go to if they're struggling. I just got out of a match and I shit you not, of the 6v6 it was basically 3v3 reapers...... While I was bastion and mowing people down haha

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zeik

@lead_dispencer said:

Really? No one is going to mention reaper? I think he is OP. I think the damage output matched with his health needs to be adjusted. That character almost comes off as a hero. He can move pretty quick I. Combat and those dual guns can whipe a tank pretty quickly if your not careful. He is the one character I feel like people will go to if they're struggling. I just got out of a match and I shit you not, of the 6v6 it was basically 3v3 reapers...... While I was bastion and mowing people down haha

I really hated Reaper at first, but it was mostly because I was playing close range characters like D.VA, and he's a pretty hard counter. Once I started playing Tracer more he wasn't so scary.

His kit is still a little braindead though.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing about dva when i played was i got more kills outside the mech than inside. I dont know what it was but she was almost as good as tracer outside the suit for me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing about dva when i played was i got more kills outside the mech than inside. I dont know what it was but she was almost as good as tracer outside the suit for me.

Her gun is actually really really strong outside the mech. Sometimes I just stay out of the mech so I can kill people from afar.

ambulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mei and Genji seem a bit too strong imo. And Zenyetta is a bit squishy, so either give him more health or a better passive heal?

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Nerf widow's body shot damage
    • nerf tracer's cooldown on blink or rewind
    • buff zenyatta's health
    • buff symmetra so she's viable
    • nerf roadhog's hook so it's a little less "generous"

that's basically my salt list.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ares42

Nerf body shot sniper damage (both widow and Hanzo). Give Torbjorns turret at least some target acquisition time. Give Bastion one more disadvantage (I don't know what, didn't he use to have a targetting cone?). While all these things have "counters", they all share the same thing that the counter is "die once, then deal with it", which is terrible design.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McCree and Mei I feel are too strong.

McCree's stun is fine, but his right-click is ridiculously strong, and his ability to roll and do it again is overpowered. They either need to reduce the damage it does, or make it so he can't do it twice in a row.

Mei's stun on the other hand is ridiculous. She's a very hard counter to every tanking class, and it really feels like there's no one that can effective counter her given the fact that she can just ice block and be safe. Her Ult is also INCREDIBLY strong. It is one of best ults in the game, and for the life of me I can never hear the cue that she's using it. Furthermore, it's pretty much impossible to get out of it if you're caught in it. You're just pretty much screwed.

A few other thoughts:

• Widowmaker's charge up time is too fast, it needs to be reduced, say to how the sniper is in TF2.
    • Winston feels very weak. Maybe I'm just playing him wrong, but his gun and ult both do shit for damage.
    • It's interesting that people say Symmetra is weak, I think she's really damn strong, and her teleport is incredible on defense.
    • I would LOVE IT if Reinheart's ult had a larger cone, since it feels too weak, especially since the other ults in the game are so freaking ridiculous.
    Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucio's knockback skill should work on Junkrat's grenades, if only because I constantly forget and try to push them when they come flying at me.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Nerf every character I keep dying to and buff every character that I play. Basically, just buff everyone but remove Mei and Symmetra and maybe Hanzo. Thanks Mr. Blizzard.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I have with Mei is people on my team who block sightlines because they don't understand how to use her ice wall.

I actually don't have too many complaints right now, other than Pharah's ult makes her super vulnerable, but it's designed that way so I can't really be to mad about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d99c8cd85096
    deactivated-5d99c8cd85096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pharah's ultimate feels weirdly weak/underpowered...maybe I'm just not using it well? But I do incredible damage normally with her and then her ult just kind of feels like a big nothing

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombutler: The issue I have with it is that the rockets have a very long travel time, so it's easy for people to see you and dodge, or for a McRee or Widowmaker to blow you out of the sky. I have used it pretty effectively from the ground a couple times, though, after managing to flank a point unnoticed and using the ult to clear it out.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MezZa

McCree absolutely needs a nerf. He just wins against too many things right now. I noticed they said that they'll be buffing D.Va which is good as well. I know a lot of people will say nerf bastion because he's always play of the game, but honestly he's not in that good of a spot. He's a new player stomper and a good surprise tool. But if you're up against a team who knows what they're doing and switches to your counters you pretty much have to stop playing bastion. If you nerf his damage then he goes from being a surprise team kill swap to being a never picked. I really would just like to see him reworked in general, but I doubt they'll do that for awhile.

Widowmaker's damage should be nerfed. Body shotting Zenyatta is just stupid. Tracer at least moves fast enough to not have to worry as much. You have to be careful though because if you nerf it too much then suddenly there are some dps characters she should be good against who would survive a full headshot. That would be a problem for her usability. Maybe just give Zen enough health to survive a bodyshot to avoid that issue. The charge time should probably be increased as well. Not by much though. As someone who plays her often, it's too easy to gun down an entire team in a couple seconds.

@random45 said:

• Winston feels very weak. Maybe I'm just playing him wrong, but his gun and ult both do shit for damage

Winston isn't meant to do damage so that is actually intentional. They won't buff his damage for the same reason they won't buff D.Va's damage: it'd be too good at everything. He's actually one of the better heroes at what he does though. He disrupts. He does what D.Va does but much much better. You jump into the backline squishies, shield, distract some people, get them to run around out of position and stop shooting at your team, and when your jump is off cooldown you leave and go heal. Rinse repeat. Mix in an ult for a full heal and start knocking people around when available. He isn't meant to get kills although you will get some from people who ignore you or targets who can't really deal with you like supports and Widow. His main problem right now is McCree ruins his day so badly and most good teams will run a McCree if not two. There are some people you will never want to jump in on because you are just a big walking headshot to them. Also he's tougher in randoms because if your team doesn't realize you jumping in means "Push! Push! Push!" then you'll just die for nothing while everyone else is off doing whatever.

Oh and a Winston tip in case you try him, you can use your shield to counter certain things. Trap a Torb turret inside and suddenly it can't hit your team until the shield breaks. Trap Reaper or McCree inside while they're ulting and their bullets won't go outside until it breaks. Stuff like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.