Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

What's with the Hanzo hatred?

Avatar image for deactivated-633cb947cdf08
    deactivated-633cb947cdf08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a fan of old school shooters, mostly for their easy to pick up and play but hard to master movement and style of weapons. Aside from Shotguns, my favourite weapons tend to use projectiles. I tend to find them much more interesting and varied than bullet weapons. I find it very rewarding to try and get a blue plate special (direct hit in the air) in Tribes because it's challenging. Even if I suck at games, I am a fan of difficult games and that satisfaction when I do finally succeed. While I've been liking Tracer because I mained Scout in my thousand+ hours in TF2 (I like agile squishy characters), for the rest I've found myself mostly wanting to play Junkrat, Genji and Hanzo, due to their projectiles being difficult but rewarding (plus I like their movement). I've mostly just been playing Hanzo in quickplay over and over and at first I was completely atrocious but it's getting better and better, and I like seeing that progress. It's something that's fun to me to try and get better at.

Thing is, Hanzo seems to be one of the most hated characters in the game, especially in Competetive. Appearantly that's because a lot of people pick him and can't aim for shit. Even if they can aim for shit, often Widowmaker is just considered a more effective choice. I've noticed Widowmaker is way less punishing and easier to aim with compared to the TF2's sniper as I'm atrocious with the Sniper yet pretty good with Widowmaker. However I just don't find widowmaker nearly as fun to play. And in competetive it's easy characters > Harder characters in most situations, and I happen to find harder characters more fun as even if I can still suck with easier ones, there's much more going on I can try to get better at with the harder ones. It's for this reason I've never really seen the appeal in Competetive Overwatch, I'll mostly have to play characters I don't like much just because they're easier for me to kill things with, and that never gives me any practice on the harder ones.

But even in Quickplay Hanzo is still hated on more it seems than any other character. I kinda get it if people suck ass, but where else are they supposed to learn to target human players? And then there's people complaining people pick him and Genji just because they're weeaboos? The fuck? The character's designs have had no influence whatsoever as to why I play them.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because 99% of the players that use Hanzo are garbage and in competitive he isn't nearly as useful as other characters.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

He's not hated more than any other character, there's Genji.

But really, you pretty much got it. Snipers tend to be pretty feast or famine(at least in my experience with quick play), and a lot of people play Hanzo and can't aim for shit and don't make good use of his sonic arrow. His ult is also trash. He's just a pick that on the surface doesn't have a lot of value in most team comps. Combine that with the fact that people tend to instalock or play him no matter what rather than use him to round out a comp. That's where the frustration comes from. It's not the character, it's the archetypal player.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because all 3 snipers aren't all that viable, or have a high skill ceiling. Torbjorn is seen as not that viable either.

Bottom line is these characters aren't as useful as other ones in higher level play, or they need players to be rrreeaallyyy good with them. Use quick play for practice. It's their loss if they get mad. Competitive is for when you need to win and quick play is relaxation.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

The main issue for me is that Hanzo is one of the characters that you most often see people "main" and lock into and refuse to switch regardless of the situation or team composition needs. Genji is the other character where you often see that issue.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hanzo is also seen as low skill by some, mainly due to the crazy hitboxes his arrows had early in the game's life.
    You could literally score headshots on people that were not within line of sight.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

Going to reiterate what people above are saying. A lot of people pick him and then contribute absolutely nothing to the team. I don't hate the character and I have a good friend who I team with that plays a mean Hanzo. But even he has to take a step back every now and then and really think about if his favorite is the right pick or not. He's not a bad character, but most people would be better off picking pretty much anyone else.

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's all down to consistency of damage. An average Hanzo isn't going to be providing much DPS or many kills. Additionally, they typically have no presence in a team fight. Unless you're godlike, it's just a better choice to select a hero that doesn't require such precision and intuition. Who cares what people think in QP, as long as you're not actively hindering your team, it's fine to roll a Hanzo - ignore the assholes.

Also: nerf scatter arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: Considering I get kills way easier with most other characters and so many complain about him being too weak on the average player, I'd say that's inaccurate as fuck. Junkrat can spam too, but aiming well is much more effective, and it's effective with hanzo too.

Also the dude saying Hanzo has a low skill ceiling the fuck? If hanzo's is low, than what thell is Winston's?

I do get it that if you main a char in comp you're gonna get flack (You gotta pick what fits most there), but I do do that in quickplay just to practice, as it's the place you can just fuck around.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and just in general, if you're just.....always picking your "favorite" no matter what, or if you heavily subscribe to the "main" mentality....well....you're a bad player.

I'm baffled by the amount of times there's one undecided person left, we have no healer, and the dude picks a junkrat or some crap. Then I'm the one who needs to change to a healer even though I already picked a specific critical role based on the composition. If you're doing competitive, you need to be a team player.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stayskeptic: I didn't mean it in terms of how it is now, but you have to remember that most Overwatch players, especially in competitive, have been playing since launch. The joke that Hanzo is firing logs of wood was made, and at a certain point it just stuck to the character, even after the hitboxes were tightened up.

Quickplay, do whatever you want. It's quickplay, it's non-competitve, it's casual. I wouldn't get too bothered about people yelling at you in there.

The issue with Hanzo in competitive is that people like their metas, and Hanzo (along with a lot of other characters) just does not fit into those metas. 6 player slots really is a limited number to work with.

If you really like projectiles maybe give Zenyatta a go. He's my main and people seem to love me for being good with him in competitive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: I've been wanting to give Zenyatta and Lucio a try but was doubting it since they're healers. However I noticed even Mercy's pistol can do quite a bit of damage so you know what I may as well try them out!

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I'll echo a lot of other people here when I say that most Hanzo players will lock in and refuse to play anything else throughout a match, typically to the detriment of the team. Obviously people can do this with any character, but in my experience 90% of the times this happens it really is Hanzo players. God damn, the number of matches we've needed a second tank or healer and just had a Hanzo.

Also, again as mentioned already: his ult is pretty garbage compared to many others.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

.Also, again as mentioned already: his ult is pretty garbage compared to many others.

I will say the one great thing about his ultimate is that it travels aaaalllll the way across the map. Players forget this all the time. One of the strengths of his ult is that it can sneake up on you. So you can use it at one end of the map, the enemy teal will hear it, figure the enemy aimed it wrong, then suddenly it comes out of nowhere.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By clagnaught

The biggest thing is there is a notion with some people who main certain character, even if it is not for the best of the team (and turns out what's best for the team, will likely lead to a victory or a possibly funner game) Hanzo feels like the epitome of a main character, despite of course there being Mercy mains, Reinhart mains, etc.

There are too many occasions where I join a game with people picking four out of the five of these characters: Hanzo, Widowmaker, McCree, Reaper, or Solider 76. And then there's the guy who picks Hanzo when we already have a Hanzo. Why not a tank? Why not a support? Why not an attack character? Why not another defense character? Why not literally anybody else? Who knows, but now we have two Hanzos, our team isn't staying alive that long, and the enemy team is hardly dying. Not to say it's either of the Hanzo's fault, but one or both of them could switch to make things easier for us.

As I mention, I think this isn't just a Hanzo thing. It feels like there are those games where people pick McCree for no other reason besides they like McCree. I don't have the science to say this happens more often with Hanzo than other characters, or maybe my brain just automatically thinks about that whenever I see somebody constantly picking Hanzo or Widowmaker.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are too many occasions where I join a game with people picking four out of the five of these characters: Hanzo, Widowmaker, McCree, Reaper, or Solider 76. And then there's the guy who picks Hanzo when we already have a Hanzo. Why not a tank? Why not a support? Why not an attack character? Why not another defense character? Why not literally anybody else? Who knows, but now we have two Hanzos, our team isn't staying alive that long, and the enemy team is hardly dying. Not to say it's either of the Hanzo's fault, but one or both of them could switch to make things easier for us.

The problem with this whole argument though is that you seem to be talking about quick play.

Quick play is a place where people relax and do whatever they want, practice with whoever they want, do whatever hilarious bullshit team composition they want. (Six Reinhardt his hilarious.) Really though, you want people to take the team composition seriously? You want no double characters? Just go to competitive. Now that competitive exists, I don't see the point in complaining about team composition and double character picking in quick play. That's what quick play is for. Casual play or silliness. There are times in quick play where the teams suddenly become friendly and start saying hi to each other. Honestly there's just no use in complaining about composition in quick play.

By the way, you'll NEVER see a widow maker in competitive.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@clagnaught said:

The problem with this whole argument though is that you seem to be talking about quick play.

Quick play is a place where people relax and do whatever they want, practice with whoever they want, do whatever hilarious bullshit team composition they want. (Six Reinhardt his hilarious.) Really though, you want people to take the team composition seriously? You want no double characters? Just go to competitive. Now that competitive exists, I don't see the point in complaining about team composition and double character picking in quick play. That's what quick play is for. Casual play or silliness. There are times in quick play where the teams suddenly become friendly and start saying hi to each other. Honestly there's just no use in complaining about composition in quick play.

By the way, you'll NEVER see a widow maker in competitive.

I have no problem with character doubling, or every once in a while doing something silly like everybody playing the same character (I have even done that with Hanzo and Widowmaker, who I never play). And I'm never going to tell somebody not to play so-and-so or they need to switch (which happens in competitive to the point where I have no real interest in playing competitive anymore...that and among a few other reasons).

That said, joining a game where you have a Hanzo, a Widowmaker, a McCree, a Reaper, and somebody like a Pharrah or Soldier isn't the funnest team you could ever be on. With a good composition, or even not a "good" team composition but one that's different or interesting, it can make for a more entertaining game or could lead to fun moments or setups you wouldn't otherwise have. Also, being forced to play a support character, because I joined a team with 2 snipers and 3 attack characters sometimes gets old. Of course this happening once in a while isn't that big of a deal, but there have been times where I play Overwatch for an hour or two and this happens multiple times in that session. Sometimes even back to back. When it happens that often, it gets old.

This isn't worth complaining about, I honestly don't really care, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy this stuff either. (Especially when maybe 90-95% of Quickplay is pretty damn great by itself) It's a weird trend I noticed, and when people play this game so much they are bound to notice random trends or have their random nitpicks.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Because there is this notion of Hanzo mains that won't switch and because to be effective with Hanzo you need to be REALLY good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude Zenyatta is the fucking shit :o

SpikeSpiegel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hanzo is a great character, with possibly one of the most popular Ultimate's in the game, which is very satisfying when timed correctly with Graviton Surge, Earthshatter or when enemy team is bottlenecked. However as stated above, he's been used to too may times by people who don't know how to effectively play him. Which in many cases gives you flak from your team if you pick him. At the end of the day its just a game, If you know you can play him well then chose him.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Because I've had my competitive rating dragged through the mud by teams full of people who refuse to change characters based on how the match is going. More often than not Hanzo tends to be a character that someone will lock in before anyone else and then they just fuck off for the whole match.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People always hate snipers in team fps games. I don't mind too much though because 90% I play the same character.

I do however completely fucking despise McCree. I already thought he was a lame, low-effort cliche of character compared to most of the others, but my hatred was cemented when he became the default meme response to any other use of cowboys in film or games.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know, i really like torbjorn....

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Socialone

My comprehension if the issue is that Hanzo infuriates people because somehow he is too good and too weak at the same time.

His arrows are very large and sometimes people feel they got headshotted through sheer luck because the enemy Hanzo was spamming the choke. This is not fun. On the other hand people are under the impression that the Hanzo on their team isn't hitting anything because playing a projectile sniper has a high skill floor. This is not fun either. The same argument could be made for most heroes but it follows Hanzo more closely.

There's also the idea that there are more Hanzo mains that play him no matter what but I don't really buy into that. I think this problem is more prevalent with Genji.

Edit : I just read the thread again and it confirms my theory. Back to back replies

Hanzo is also seen as low skill by some, mainly due to the crazy hitboxes his arrows had early in the game's life.

You could literally score headshots on people that were not within line of sight.

Going to reiterate what people above are saying. A lot of people pick him and then contribute absolutely nothing to the team. I don't hate the character and I have a good friend who I team with that plays a mean Hanzo. But even he has to take a step back every now and then and really think about if his favorite is the right pick or not. He's not a bad character, but most people would be better off picking pretty much anyone else.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By hermes

They do? I feel like every other week or so, people start hating on a new character. I still remember when Bastion, Torbjorn and Mei were the most hated characters in the roster.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hanzo defiantly isn't low skill. Yeah you can kill people you didn't properly aim at due to the hit boxes etc. But to actually contribute to the overall game and towards team fights rather than just getting run over takes some serious skill.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#28  Edited By sammo21

For most people who play its that low skill players frequently pick characters like Hanzo and Genji which can actually help the team lose. The characters are great and play exceptionally well and are great counter picks...but the amount of times I've had a Hanzo or Genji help lose it for my team is pretty high.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Hanzo players because, no matter what the game mode is or which side my team is on, there's always a Hanzo. Always. And they stay Hanzo for life.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's okay the new hatred will be directed towards insta-locking Sombras for the few weeks after release.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

People hate Hanzo because players like to troll with him because... people hate Hanzo. It's a vicious chicken/egg cycle.

For me, it's because when I Quick Play, if there's permanent duplicate characters on my team, most of the time they seem to be Hanzos. You rarely see what effect (if any) they're having on the other team, and as snipers they rarely (if ever) contest the point.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Among the many reasons people hate Hanzo:

• Most people can't aim with him.
    • He's only good on Attack and Escort Attack, but people pick him on Defense because of Blizzard's label.
    • People instalock him and won't come off of him even if he's not proving effective.
    • Scatter Arrow is a pretty broken ability and allows you to get some hilarious kills.
    • The bad Hanzo is always on your team and the good Hanzo is always on the other team.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree the scatter arrow is pretty broken :').

Speaking of hating to fight certain chars: I never understood people having issues with Bastion, and I've had the game since pre order launch but I've only started playing frequently recently. Bastion has always been pretty easy to kill for me. Mei I understand though, she has a lot of hp you need to get off before freezing to death despite it costing little effort for her but if you keep it in mind it's not that bad to deal with. Roadhog is the only character that I both pisses me off to fight and I find boring to play, despite loving shotguns. I also think Mcree's flashbang is incredibly annoying but again I can keep distance. With Roadhog though the every 6 second hook has quite a bit of range however and usually it's a 100% chance kill, while he has a ton of hp, a ranged secndary fire and can self heal which is often too fast to kill him while he's doing it. I get his lack of mobility makes up for it but I still find him annoying to fight, just like Mei.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stayskeptic: Bastion hasn't been a problem for people since the open beta. And Roadhog and Mei, yeah, that's their whole deal you ain't gunna tackle them 1v1 at close range that's their strength.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst trait that's prevalent in a lot of hanzo players is refusing to step on the point while overtime is ticking down and there's no one else around to do it. I've been death spectating a shit ton of hanzos who literally stand on the edge of the objective randomly shooting arrows when all the have to do is walk the fuck forward slightly to stop us from losing. I've also encountered a lot of hanzos who straight up run a away from the objective in overtime because they don't want to die. Fuck Hanzos.

In other news I sold my ps4 copy of overwatch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: I tend to go suicidal when overtime goes on for just about any character :')

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from echoing everyone, I really don't like the character. He comes off as a gruff angry man who is upset that he's not the head of the Shimada clan. He tries to come off as wise and mystical but compared to Zenyatta he comes off as a yakuza pretending. He says he can't forgive himself for mutilating Genji and then says "You are not my brother!" in the same breath.

He just suffers from the same problem I feel Widowmaker suffers. They come off as a "I'm a cool bad ass look at me," but have zero personality beyond that. They have as much character as someone from a Star Wars prequel. Even Mr. EDGE Reaper and Mr. DAD Soldier76 have more complexity than both Hanzo and Widow combined.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@cav829 said:
    • The bad Hanzo is always on your team and the good Hanzo is always on the other team.
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: Who the ass cares about the characterization? It's about how they play.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he required little skill. I got murdered by Hanzo a whole bunch and the arrows weren't anywhere near me on the replay, so I decided to play him and see what was up. Turns out you just didn't need to aim with him at all, I could throw arrows around willy-nilly and rack up the kill count with shots that went extremely wild and took zero aiming because that's how he was designed. That kind of zero-skill/max-reward gameplay was really not fun for me and put me off even bothering with the game for an awful long time until the Halloween event got me back in.

They seem to have fixed this though, which is nice. He's not awful to play as anymore and actually feels like he takes some skill to be effective with.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stayskeptic: A lot of people? People who draw and love fanart of the game? People interested in the story and universe and future movie? I got into Overwatch because it had interesting characters and charm that reminded me of why I loved TF2. It's not a coincidence that the heroes I play a lot and are good with happen to be my favorite characters. I think the personality and look of the characters were a big part of Overwatch's mass appeal.

You asked why people hate Hanzo and I gave just one reason why I dislike him. I didn't want to just repeat what everyone else also said.

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By TehFedro

Aside from the already mentioned, there seems to be some mental state some Hanzo mains have. Season 1 my team had a dude who didn't switch even when most said "we don't need Hanzo on attack" and never switched anyway.

Season 2 teammate didn't get him and just suicided as winston all game sometimes saying "can somebody teach me how to fly" , "I'll switch when I learn to fly". Also same round our other team mate stayed Hanzo the whole game, while it wasn't his fault the other guy was an asshole we don't really need a Hanzo on attack, but I guess we were destined for that either way.

Basically after that I wish he wasn't in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.