Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Your favorite hero?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Edited By shivermetimbers

Poll Your favorite hero? (1278 votes)

Bastion 2%
    D.Va 12%
    Genji 2%
    Hanzo 2%
    Junkrat 7%
    Lucio 9%
    McCree 3%
    Mei 6%
    Mercy 10%
    Phrah 7%
    Reaper 1%
    Reinhardt 4%
    Roadhog 6%
    Soldier:76 3%
    Symmetra 2%
    Torbjorn 3%
    Tracer 6%
    Widowmaker 2%
    Winston 1%
    Zarya 5%
    Zenyatta 5%

Which character/hero is your favorite and why? Mercy gets my vote, but that comes with the caveat that I am weird and don't particularly enjoy the game's combat feedback too much (it feels really limp, IMHO). It's just fun to heal people and be on top of everything.

Widowmaker is a close second cause her sniper is fun and I like her mobility. Tracer is fun, but her health is a bit too low and revolves a lot around boasting around. I should try McCree, too. I kinda get irked when I hear "It's High Noon!", but that's just me.

What are your thoughts on the game as well?

• 
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By finstern
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

MechWarrior checking in

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I've only played as a handful of heroes, both in the beta and now, but I'm gonna go with:

Roadhog. Hooking all of those annoying gnats like Tracer and Genji and just melting them never gets old. His beefy health and self-heal also make him great for defending objectives.

I also like Reinhardt and Reaper.

Basically the "R" characters it seems.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love Tracer and Genji. Still not amazing with Tracer, but I had a few rounds where I did pretty amazing.

My friends hate Tracer though, really really bad. Not because they don't like her or how she plays, it's just that every time I pick her, I can't for the life of me avoid talking in a waaaaaay british dialect for the rest of the match.

I regret nothing though. She's fun, fast and great for annoying the enemy team!

The_Spectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Genji and Hanzo, the brothers are my mains LOL

Scatter Arrow is lethal if used right and Genji's mobility is impeccable.

euantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zenyatta's definitely my favourite at the moment. Good healing ability, whilst also having decent combat skills. Also just a cool character really.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say Zarya for her character design alone. I play her too, but man, she just looks cool.

runtheflowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By runtheflowers

Mercy.

Herr Doktor is looking quite different from when I played him in TF2 but doctor assisted-homicide is still just as fun.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I've only put a significant amount of time into Lucio, Mercy, Soldier 76, and Winston. Out of those, I think Winston is my favorite so far. I do better overall and get more kills or medals with the other heroes, but there is just something about Winston that is so fun. Leaping over a building and jumping onto a healer or a sniper and watching them freak out and try to get away from Winston going ape shit is pretty satisfying. It may be because the game is still new or Winston isn't a very commonly played hero, but many players simply don't know how to react or deal with a Winston who is in their face. Winston is also a great counter to the countless Tracer, Widowmaker, and Hanzo players out there. 1v1 against any of those heroes and Winston is probably going to win, which I'm sure has caused no end of frustration especially for Tracer players who are used to just zipping around harassing the flank and accumulating massive kill streaks. He can also put in some work on objectives with his ultimate, which is always fun.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mei, Symmetra, and Mercy are the main ones I've been playing recently. Symmetra only on Defense though and only if we already have a healer as she's pretty great once you get the hang of her.

The only ones that I really don't play is WidowMaker, Hanzo, Torbjorn, and Bastion. I'll play WM or Hanzo in bot matches though to get used to them more.

elvicerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been enjoying Genji a lot lately due mostly to him being a hard counter to Bastion. Had some good games as Torbjorn and Hanzo as well, still trying to get the hang of Zenyatta.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By noboners

I'll play as anyone but Torbjorn. But that might really only be because by the time I wait to see what everyone else has chosen, there's usually 2-3 Torbjorns already. I was just in a match with 4 Torbjorns, a symmetra and then I played as Reinhardt just because I couldn't think of anything that might help out more than just shielding their turrets.

But if I get to choose who I like as opposed to who the team needs, I choose junkrat and just fire grenades and traps at random. I find his grenade launcher can be as annoying as Tracer popping in and out.

Avatar image for pullarius_capax
    Pullarius_Capax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose Lucio because it's really easy to feel like you are contributing to the team, the other healers require you to be on the ball all the time. I really really want to like D. Va, but her short range really bothers me even when Reaper's and Roadhog's don't, something about the design makes me think she should have more range.

On offense I go Pharah because even if you aren't a great shot, her rockets are good suppressing fire.

I think Reinhardt is pretty awesome even if I don't want to play him at all.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Soldier: 76

He can heal, he can kill, and he can sprint. What more could you want?

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Widowmaker!

Now if only we can get a Nova skin for her...

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During the beta I was playing mostly Pharrah, Roadhog and Mercy but since the game came out I've gained an appreciation for most of the characters especially Mei, Lucioand Reinhardt. Thus its tough to pick a favourite but I'm gonna go Roadhog.

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
    Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Torn at the moment between Torbjorn, Lucio and Mei.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I'm really really warming to Junkrat. He's a really well rounded hero. Excellent on defence with his trap being placed round a corridor corner basically cutting it off for the attackers. His mine can then be placed on top of the trap for an instant kill once you get the message of the trap going off, or you can keep it in case you let the opposition get too close.

He's also really useful on offense, too. He's good at making pushes with team mates, continuously firing his grenades into the general vasinity of the enemy, it causes them to fall back or take another route which gives your more attack or tank focused allies time to advance.

And his tyre is just devastating. I got a quad kill with it yesterday whilst on defence, just as the enemy teams Mercy had revived 3 players, then popped round the corner to finish the remaining enemy off with grenades to get my first "team kill" from the announcer. Really satisfying.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Symmetra. Even on offense she can do a lot of damage.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For each class I have one and its all team specific.

For Attackers I like Soldier 76 and Reaper.

For Rooks: I'm really suprised how much I like Jared Let....I mean Junkrat and was the one whom I ultimately picked for the poll.

For Tanks: I like D.Va for attacking and Reinhardt for defending.

For support: Symmetra is awesome.

Jwunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Junkrat is my favorite for maximum havoc and mayhem. Good for any map in either defense or attack. I am constantly pulling the trigger the whole time just getting random kills from ricochets. I also kill myself on occasion. Also rarely given credit for his vertical mobility.

D.VA is great as well easy to get 20+ kill streaks. Her little laser has good damage and range. Awesome for ruining a Torbjorn's day.

Mei. My god. For defense. If I only could get play of the game for harassing the other team and pissing them off. If two or three players are standing around waiting for my ice block heal to end so they can kill me because I pissed them off so much, then they aren't pushing the point and I have done my job. A character I completely ignored during the beta now one of my favorites.

Honorable mentions go to Symmetra, Genji, Hanzo, Reinhart, Lucio and Zarya

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite started out being Tracer. It's happened so many times though where I get wrecked by a character I never use and then I try them and find out holy crap their actually really good. So now I kind of like using all the characters.. They're all great situationally. I have the most fun playing Gengi wrecking bastions up and down a map. I feel like Zarya is an underrated tank. Soldier 76 if I don't feel like being healer and no one else does either. Hanzo cause I got a cool skin for him and that dragon move is a game changer. Micromanaging with Mercy can be really fun. I could go on and on lol. This games great.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Had a match as Roadhog yesterday where I saw someone as Pharah up in the air. Thought she looked low enough, but I jumped just to make sure, then I hooked her right out of the air. It's so great. Grabbing snipers off of ledges and healers from the back of a pack. It just feels cool.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Voted for Phrah because her name was butchered. Also rockets.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwunder: yep, this is how I play Mei and it's extremely effective. Far out in the front lines, separate the team with ice wall, freeze a few and then ice block. By this time they've normally been gunned down while thinking about how cool it'll be when they kill me, and I do it all again with full health. Mei is a righteous harassment character and I love her

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Zarya. I love her look, I love her abilities. She's just a bad ass who protects ya neck

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Efesell

D.VA is a character I want to be my favorite but she is seeming more and more like garbage as time is going on.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really like playing as Zenyatta, Mei, Symmetra, McCree and Reinhardt.

Roadhog, Lucio, Mercy, Genji, Junkrat and Torbrjörn are also a-okay.

I play whoever anyway (except for Winston, who I don't understand at all yet), since it all depends on the team.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starting to really take a shine to Lucio now.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tracer for sure. The insane amount of maneuverability and speed is so rare in shooters. It's funny, because when I first tried her in the beta she seemed practically unplayable on consoles, because I didn't think a controller could keep up with her speed and I kept dying in seconds. But then I realized I was playing her wrong and adjusted my playstyle and all of a sudden it was the most fun I've ever had with an FPS. Also she can counter Bastion and Reaper, my two least favorite people to fight.

D.VA was my go to for awhile, but I feel like since launch my ability to play her has dropped dramatically. It suddenly feels like her mech is made out of paper mache and even at close range I keep losing firefights. Maybe I'm also playing her wrong.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By gundogan

I like and play whatever's needed but:

DPS: Pharah. Jetpack and rocket spam.

Defense: Bastion. I like playing MG in Day of Defeat and Bastion is pretty similar. Yes you may hate me.

Tank: Winston is pretty funny as a fat assassin, but Zarya is kinda neat too because of her ult, shield support and decent dps.

Healer: Zenyatta. Orb managment is fun and great dps when you get the hang of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Mei is my dream wife, and is officially my most used character in Overwatch.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm beginning to, if we have no support class when on defense and sometimes even when we do have support, use Symmetra. She's so go at keeping the defending team going with her teleport and keeping the enemy at bay with her turrets. Her gun is decievenly deadly too.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I would love D.Va but her mech seems to break down like porcelain and her damage output isn't something to write home about.

I'm really enjoying Mercy, Black Widow and Phara.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy for me, I think this is my true play style for any team based game. Heal, buff and rez that's all I want to do to help my team win.

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just throwing this out there, but I think it's rad all the heroes are doing well in the poll and getting some love in the thread. Seems to me Blizzard has made a really spectacular team shooter if this is the case.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#86  Edited By DevourerOfTime

I'm actually shocked that Lucio is in the top 3. Played a ton of him in the betas, but didn't see an awful lot of him. But I finally got to play the live version and he's still so much fun. Also, I only opened one skin from boxes, but it was the best skin in the game:

No Caption Provided

Love this character.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I just love Hanzo so much....i'm sorry.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@slax said:

I just love Hanzo so much....i'm sorry.

It's ok, as someone who plays a lot of Winston I just love seeing Hanzos and Widowmakers on the other team.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Winston is soooooo good at taking out Symmetra's turrets. Always pick him when the other team has a Symmetra. He's a really good hit and run character which you dont expect from a tank.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Surprised Dva is winning. I like the design but I don't really like playing as her that much. Probably my least favorite tank.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure I have a favorite, but I enjoy playing Mercy quite a bit. I feel useful.

Hanzo feels great when you pull off your shots right.

D. Va is quite fun also, you can do some pretty tricky shit.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

1. Roadhog
    2. D.Va

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

I really really really like playing Tracer, who is probably one of the only characters I'm actually good with. (The other being Lucio)

I either have really really good or really really bad rounds as Hanzo, and then have really really really bad rounds with pretty much everyone else I've tried to play (Which is Torbjorn, McCree, Roadhog, and Mercy)

I just feel like everyone else is so unbearably slow compared to Tracer and Lucio and it drives me up the wall. I need escape mechanisms.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Widowmaker is my girl. Shooting down McCree's high noon and a lot of JUSTICE are some of the most satisfying things you can do as her. I also have a lot of fun playing as D.Va and Tracer. My favorite map to play as D.Va in is Ilios. Basically, use her boost to throw people off the map :p Mercy and Soldier: 76 not too far behind.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking D.va alot. Super straight forward.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

On the first page of this thread I said Mei was my favourite hero, I've changed my mind, I don't have a favourite any more. They are all good. I've developed this mentality as I'm in the level 30s now where I just use the character I need to use to help the given situation and balance the team. Who I like better doesn't even cross my mind now, I couldn't compare them, it's all about the team.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: she's incredibly versatile and can survive longer than almost anyone else. In her tank mode she can absorb damage, is great at flanking and escaping and her ultimate is great for clearing out an area and making space. Out of her mech her pistol is deceptively strong if you keep moving and jumping around.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reinheart is probably my favorite character to play, since he's incredibly strong on both defense and offensive teams. His charge is pretty much a one-hit kill if you can manage to land it on most characters, though I wish his ultimate was a bit stronger. It's such a narrow space to pull it off that I can never seem to hit more than one or two people with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mems1224: I just never got the feel for her yet. I can do better with Roadhog who is a great sponge, can heal and deals out massive damage. I did recently get a rare victory pose for her so I should try getting better. It's combination of having to play a tank like Tracer that trips me up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.