Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Your favorite hero?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Edited By shivermetimbers

Poll Your favorite hero? (1278 votes)

Bastion 2%
    D.Va 12%
    Genji 2%
    Hanzo 2%
    Junkrat 7%
    Lucio 9%
    McCree 3%
    Mei 6%
    Mercy 10%
    Phrah 7%
    Reaper 1%
    Reinhardt 4%
    Roadhog 6%
    Soldier:76 3%
    Symmetra 2%
    Torbjorn 3%
    Tracer 6%
    Widowmaker 2%
    Winston 1%
    Zarya 5%
    Zenyatta 5%

Which character/hero is your favorite and why? Mercy gets my vote, but that comes with the caveat that I am weird and don't particularly enjoy the game's combat feedback too much (it feels really limp, IMHO). It's just fun to heal people and be on top of everything.

Widowmaker is a close second cause her sniper is fun and I like her mobility. Tracer is fun, but her health is a bit too low and revolves a lot around boasting around. I should try McCree, too. I kinda get irked when I hear "It's High Noon!", but that's just me.

What are your thoughts on the game as well?

• 
    Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Flux

I hate that D.va holds the highest percentage.

She is easily one of the worst characters when not paired with a second more applicable tank.

Everyone will just like her up because shes the Doritos and Mountain Dew character.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flux: Or they just think she's cute and has a charming attitude and design.

I'd say that's fair. This game has a lot of personality for not having a story

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Zeik

@flux: Or you know, they actually like playing her.

That whole "Doritos and Mountain Dew" meme seems like a pretty recent development anyway. I didn't know it was even a thing until earlier today. I know it had literally nothing to do with what led me to pick her up in the beta.

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry she is just the..sterotypical self-aware "Gamer" character.

Just threw that in there because whatever its the internet.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flux: Soldier is the stereotypical soldier, roadhog is the stereotypical wasteland apocalypse character, Mei is a stereotypical chinese eskimo, etc. etc.

and I'd say most gamers are aware they are gamers.

ApolloDynamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I'll be honest I love so many of them. Genji, Hanzo, Lucio, Mei, Zenyatta, D.va, Symmetra. I love their skills sets their personalities...everything.

Also I have a bias for cyborg ninjas <_<

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#157  Edited By gundogan

@flux: good thing double tank (Reinhardt + 2nd tank or double Winston/Zarya) + double healer (Lucio + Mercy/Lucio) works kinda well! Shame everyone goes damage dealer straight away so playing heroes like D.va and Winston solo doesn't always work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I guess it's a good thing I like Lucio and Mercy so much because nobody ever picks a support character when I play. NOBODY.

Also: I need to play with better folks.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D.Va is really good for harrassing and knocking people around. Running guys over with the boosters does decent amount of damage and it's a good way to counter opponent's Reinhardt because shield does not stop her. Weapons are bit meh and I think they are mainly intended to take out weak targets but she's a solid character who specializes in slowing down the opposing team. But still not quite as fun as Mei.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

As of now my favorite is probably Symmetra. Don't have to worry about healing as a support and the sentries are nifty to have when you're fortifying a choke point. It's sort of rough that her only advanced movement option is her ultimate but that's a cool way to add to her utility. I also like Zarya, Lucio, and Soldier. I've yet to find a defender that I really like using. I think art design wise this game is quite excellent at making all the characters look cool and unique but not so flashy that one overshadows the others. Makes it easier to want to mix it up often.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It`s Roadhog for me. Hooking a turret Bastion and then shotgunning him in the face is never going to get old. His insane health pool and ability to heal himself is also cool.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Roadhog is my favorite. I'm better at landing roadhog's hooks than I am pudge's hooks in dota 2.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Junkrat, you guys. Junkrat.

Torbjorn, Pharrah, and Mercy are my runners up.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Lucio is so much fun to play

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warming up to Zarya a lot. She can be pretty deadly when played well. Timing those barriers can be tough, but popping it to completely negate a Junkrat's super aiming to kill me is always good times.

Also came to the realization that playing healers makes bad players exponentially more aggravating...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I'm great at Lucio, but Reinhardt is my man. Born playmaker that boy.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

mercy is the most fun traditional style healer I've ever played, and her secondary pistol is also pretty good

i want to get in to lucio, but i don't understand his aoe heal?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorites so far, based on the situation and my teams hero choices;

Defense - Roadhog, Symmetra, Mei, Junkrat, Torbjorn.

Attack - Solider 76, Winston, Zenyatta.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Hanzo originally, but I think now that I've played the game some more, Zarya is my new favourite. I really like her survivability and throwing somebody a bubble shield at just the right time feels really good.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#170  Edited By mike

@scientificpizza said:

Lucio is always playing a song which when teammates near him can hear, either speed boosts or heals. The song can be switched back and forth at any time. The number of people who can hear it is shown near your crosshairs. Lucio has a cooldown that increases the speed or healing of his song for a short time. That's it, that part of Lucio is really easy.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By glots

I've taken a liking to Zenyatta and at times Lucio. Haven't really picked a favourite besides them, I guess. Junkrat maybe comes closest. Maybe that'd change if I had a decicated group to play with at all times, now I'm mostly joining random quick plays by myself.

I feel like I'll never play Widow, because she's just...urgh. I mean, I found great joy from playing Unreal Tournament 2004 a lot back in the day and becoming fairly good with the lightning gun and headshots, but I don't want others to go through the same " Okay, I'm out of the gate and...*headshot'd*...okay, let's respawn...and go out...*headshot'd* " route.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By dietomaha

Wow, I've totally been playing him wrong. I thought you had to shoot your teammates with the wub gun to heal them. No wonder I haven't really been feeling Lucio, shit.

@mike said:
    @scientificpizza said:

Lucio is always playing a song which when teammates near him can hear, either speed boosts or heals. The song can be switched back and forth at any time. The number of people who can hear it is shown near your crosshairs. Lucio has a cooldown that increases the speed or healing of his song for a short time. That's it, that part of Lucio is really easy.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent the most time on Mercy so far. I enjoy zipping around the battlefield, buffing and healing people. The other night I got paired up with a good Reinhardt, that seems like a match made in heaven. She is really squishy though. If an enemy gets even modest damage on you, you're probably going down. I find I'm always at a disadvantage in confrontations because I mostly have my staff out so it takes me a second to switch to pistol and sometimes that's all it takes. Couldn't they have given her like 300 health?

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The consensus seems to have changed to her being weak, but I still play D.Va when I want to win. I may not get as many plays of the game with her now that people are smart enough to run away from her Ult, but I love using it to chase people off objectives to secure the win.

And it is oh so satisfying to fly up and take out a turret, Bastion, Widowmaker, or Phara that think they are slick.

Avatar image for goodenoughforme
    GoodEnoughForMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

McCree is my favourite, because it's infuriating to get flashbanged --> hammer'd over and over, and I wish to inflict the same pain and suffering upon my enemies.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@dietomaha: Don't feel too bad, I made the exact same mistake in the open beta with Lucio. Honestly it's a bummer that there isn't a training mode for each of the characters to teach you their individual abilities.

I guess I'm in the majority here, because I love love love D.Va. I'm all about self sufficient characters who can disrupt the enemy and are best at flanking. I've seen some complaints in the thread about how she's useless at higher levels of play, which may be true, but in my experience I rarely see her played well. She's all about surprising the enemy, boosting in and isolating the weaker characters to mess them up.

But if you're on your own defending a point and more than one enemy comes at you, you'll probably be taken out. That's where it's best to leave the point and try to catch the team off-guard by distracting them before they get to the point. Boost in, try to take out a weaker support, use defense matrix and they'll usually come after you rather than going for the point.

Her ult doesn't really kill many people now that folks know to just hide behind cover, but it can turn a point to your team if you push the enemy team off the point and they scatter leaving them open to be picked off by your teammates.

I'm also way into Roadhog, Soldier 76, Junkrat and Lucio. Recently been trying to get better with Pharah, Zenyatta, and Mei.

Honestly though the only character I really don't like to play is Winston. He's solid and I've seen him dominate matches, but I really don't like how he plays personally.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zenyatta or Mercy if I can follow a good Bastion or Roadhog, Zeny is my favourite by far though, that damage orb makes his attacks brutal, even to tank characters, also I can look after my team by healing. I just wish that in a crowd my healing orb would got to the player who needs it most.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to change my answer to Winston. He has really grown on me.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or Trace is pretty cool too, I use her to get in behind, distract and destroy, she's also good for pulling enemies away, gaining your team some time.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winstons is so so so good at making pushes.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I have found my self to be very fond of Symmetra. You can always keep busy setting up sentry turrets, but half the fun is how you set up turrets and what the layout of your team is. Setting them up opposite of a stationary bastion is fun, coordinating with Torbjorns turrets can lead to some really nasty situations. Hell even setting up turrets with Junkrats traps is so satisfying. When things hit the fan Symettra can also be pretty sneaky with her limited range, and you can kill quickly if you can get the jump on someone.

If you can get in a rhythm with D.Va you find yourself cycling through mechs quickly and racking up tons of kills if you are mobile and anticipate what enemies you will be facing.

Between these two I give Symettra the edge but they are both my mains.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roadhog has definatly become my boy recently, ducking into and out of cover and reeling people in with the hook is so satisfying. I'm so much better with him than I am anyone else.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

I have loved Zenyatta since the character was revealed. Before he was buffed, I had already gotten three POTGs with him.

Post buff, I've been called a cheater a few times.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@frodobaggins: I faced a team running three Winstons yesterday, and oh god on a public match some of my teammates had no idea what to do. It was pretty funny. I was doing pretty well neutering the ults they kept popping with the freeze beam, but they ended up winning with about a minute to go.

@wmoyer83:Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Symmetra lately. She's really good at breaking up flanker attacks on some maps by serving as an early warning system and catching characters making blind charges out of buildings. On top of that, she's really good at luring players into traps. Players are pre-programmed to get in the face of healers, which is the one area where she can beat you. She's a very cerebral character and works well in sync with a lot of teams. And the shields she can put out are pretty nice since they constantly recharge and you don't have to babysit teammates.

On top of it, I've seen a weird amount of player obsession with popping ults just to take out my Symmetra. Symmetra herself is the least important on the field character on a team, so go right ahead? Maybe they don't get there's a bit of a spawn cooldown on her turrets. It's not like you can immediately put six back up if you take a group of them down. And if the teleporter is up and running, it's an even bigger waste of an ult.

On the actual thread, my favorite keeps changing. My main has been Lucio, but I've played a bunch of Symmetra and 76. Recently I've started playing more Tracer and Mei. I've also been experimenting with various characters to get better against the dreaded all Bastion/Torbjorn defense, so I'm starting to get the hang a bit of D.VA and Genji, but I'm pretty bad as both. I'd still probably go with Lucio overall though.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Torbjorn on certain King of the Hill maps can be deadly. I went something like 38 - 4 yesterday on Nepal, in competative (59). I think my team were a little sceptical at first of him but they soon realised he was alright lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba968afc02e5
    deactivated-5ba968afc02e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome to see D'Va in the lead. I have a hard time playing with her but good to see people got her figured out.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By ripelivejam

Want to recast my vote for Lucio. granted he's the only one that i can play decently, and i feel it's a waste of time to try to get to know anyone else well.

e: but who am i kidding i just suck in general :D

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Winston has grown on me a great deal, Tracer was a character I knew I'd love once I learnt the maps and I now love her, Roadhogg is just sooooooo satisfying to play, especially if you're doing well, DVa has also grown on me a lot.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soldier:76 is my go to hero.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know of any good, advanced play character guides? I feel like I'm sitting on the precipice between good and great, and just need that bit of extra knowledge to push me over. I've tried YouTube but there are literally so many different ones, half of which are basic run down of character abilities, and the other half I'm considerably better than the person giving the guide. So, any high level guides floating about?

happy_chickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not the hero we need, or deserve
    Not the hero we need, or deserve

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By RonGalaxy

I was down on pharah at first, but it turns out that it wasn't because she's not a good character, her control bindings just suck on ps4. Hover should not be bound to x, as it makes aiming while hovering impossible. Changed her rocket jump to x and jump/hover to l2. One of my favorites to play now.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: she can hover with L2 just as she can with X, without any kind of remapping.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the patch, Zenyatta has quickly become one of my favorites. He's so deadly, with good healing output also. Only thing he lacks is mobility. If the enemy has a good tracer or genji you may be in trouble.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Just checked and you're totally right. Not sure why her info page doesn't say that (it says it's x). Thanks for the info!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: yeah it's pretty silly that it says X on the info screen when L2 does the job much better.

Avatar image for perniciousdistortion
    perniciousdistortion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've liked overwatch from a distance but never pulled the trigger......then Ana came out and something about her play style felt right to me. I enjoyed the beta so I was familiar with the other characters but was planning on waiting for it to drop in price before I got it. Here I stand casting my vote for Ana because she's pretty rad and made me buy this game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: One binding on PS4 that is actually unfortunate is Lucio's wall ride though. It's mapped to x so it makes aiming while wall riding impossible.

However, I mapped the jump to R1 and his amp up ability to x and it's all good now. Good thing the game lets you rebind everything

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite hero to play is Soldier:76. His toolkit has a little bit of everything: strong sustained damage through his heavy pulse rifle, a bit of burst damage with his helix rockets, decent horizontal maneuverability with his sprint, and a AoE heal. His ultimate can mow down 2-3 lower-health heroes if used at the right moment. With a Reinhardt putting up a shield for me to hide behind I can do some decent work...

...however, most of the time I end up playing in PUGs where no coordination exists and everyone picks offense 80% of the time. I usually end up picking Roadhog because he at least has a self-heal. That wonderful, magical hook he has that pulls people to me from around corners and walls is just a side bonus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.