Championship Edition 2 has some features recognizable from the previous installments, such as the usual 5-minute timer, changing mazes by collecting fruit, and scoring big on chomping ghosts (many of them on DX). However, new rules have been put into place, modifying how the game plays in the meta of CE2, in addition to the older features. Listed below are the changes:
- There are now a maximum of 4 ghost trains instead of just one. As soon as a ghost awakens, it immediately attaches to one of the ghosts and forms a train there, instead of having just one solely follow Pac-Man.
- The maximum amount of ghosts present and attached to ghosts is now more than 30, but no less than 60 on one train.
- Bombs now bump Pac-Man to his starting point.
- Bombs are no longer accumulated by chomping ghosts.
- Power Pellets are no longer present on ghosts. Instead, chomping on ghosts not added to any train extends the Power Pellet timer.
- Fruits/Power Pellets can appear without clearing the whole maze.
- Fruits now change the whole maze instead of one side. They also spawn below Pac-Man's starting point.
- Fruits and Power Pellets can sometimes move around the maze, similar to Ms. Pac-Man.
- By clearing the whole maze, one bomb is collected.
- Extra lives are no longer claimed automatically. They will appear on the maze to collect.
- Pac-dots are no longer based on a 10-point scale and follow similarly to that of Pac-Man 256 (1, 2, 3, etc). It is now possible to score in the 1's digit.
- Ghost scoring no longer follow previous games, scoring in increments of 100 (up to 6000) instead of 400 (up to 3200).
- Pac-Man can no longer die from ghosts upon first contact. If a ghost is "bumped" too much, the ghost will become angered, leaving Pac-Man vulnerable to losing a life.
The following courses are as follows (3 more courses yet to be revealed):
- Championship II