Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Papers, Please

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 08, 2013

A graphical adventure game about Cold War-era immigration control, where players take the role of an immigration inspector who must control the flow of people entering a fictional Soviet-style nation. Glory to Arstotzka!

Anyone else having problems?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I downloaded Papers, Please for Steam today, and I'm having problems running. When I start the game, the screen flashes, and every on screen asset just becomes my mouse cursor. Anyone else having problems like that, and know of a fix? I checked the steam forums and the website, but nothing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I've fixed odd Steam problems in the past by disabling the in-game overlay in the Steam settings menu. You could try that.

Other than that, maybe try deleting the files and redownloading/installing.

Pyronite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm having the exact same problem - I cannot find a fix for it. What graphics card are you using? (ATI 4850 here.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee9f17c410ec
    deactivated-5ee9f17c410ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problems here comrade, but I'm running the DRM free version. If you buy it direct from their site papersplea.se it's the same price and you get the download version plus a Steam key.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alwaysbebombing
    Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Substance_D

What it looks like for me: http://i.imgur.com/hG8BzsD.jpg

Yep, I'm having the same issue. Just bought the game. I have an ATI Radeon 2600 so that could be the issue. I'll try disabling Steam overlay.

Sounds like this is the solution on the site:

[WINDOWS] The game starts but the graphics are all garbled and it soon crashes.
    SOLUTION

This is likely because your video card drivers do not have hardware OpenGL support. The game requires OpenGL 1.4 in order to run and was designed to check this requirement when starting up in order to print a useful error message. Unfortunately, this check doesn't work properly and the game will start up only to show garbled graphics. You can try updating your drivers to get the latest OpenGL support, but Windows 8 makes this difficult for many older video cards. Unfortunately, those cards are not supported by the game and there's nothing I can do to remedy this

Looks like this is a possible fix:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/184367-how-to-fix-opengl-problems-in-ati-drivers/

kickahaota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By kickahaota

This also happens on Surface Pros, and there's currently no workaround. That's a real shame, because this game would be awesome on a touch device.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.