Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Papers, Please

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 08, 2013

A graphical adventure game about Cold War-era immigration control, where players take the role of an immigration inspector who must control the flow of people entering a fictional Soviet-style nation. Glory to Arstotzka!

Lying liars whose statements don't match documents.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure what the general rule is for dealing with someone who lies about reason for stay or length of stay.

Sometimes I catch a discrepancy in their statement, and all they can say is "no wait, I actually meant to say X" and turning them away will get me a citation. Other times I'll deny them, and the game approves. Not sure what it wants from me.

The best I can figure:

Lied about length of stay, but they change story = Send them packing

Lied about purpose, but they change story = Let them through.

Is this accurate? I'm good with dealing with other types of discrepancies, but can't figure out the game's logic in this case.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Wemibelle

I've never had an issue with this. As long as their new story checks out, and no other issues arise, I don't get docked for it. Maybe you've messed other things up on those?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By GaspoweR

@mason: As long as the documents lined up anyway (it's complete or required documents are produced) and the reasoning found in the documents is valid to let them through regardless as to what the person said (lying or not or just nervous/forgetful) I think you wouldn't get a citation.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If they correct themselves on reason or duration of stay, they're clear to stay. I was cited for not letting them in at one point.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If they correct themselves on reason or duration of stay, they're clear to stay. I was cited for not letting them in at one point.

Yeah, this happened to me and on my second chance I let them through and I got no penalties for it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, if they lie (or make a mistake) just let them through and you're set.

Seems a bit strange to me, because someone could easily just be lying, but oh well...

Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Yeah, the idea is that you need to call them on it - if they then correct themself, they're good to go through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Same.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You bother to get their corrections?

You bring shame to Arstotzka.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@dekkadekkadekka: At a certain point in the game, you'll get penalized if you don't.

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By PsychoPenguin

What I don't get is when you can fingerprint someone when their name or photo doesn't match. Every time I've done that and let them through I get warned for it. I've just stopped fingerprinting people and just deny everyone with non-matching documents right off the bat.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

@psychopenguin: Are you actually comparing the fingerprints they give you with the ones that print out?

I was a bit confused about that at first. I assumed if the printout had the right name on it that I could let them through, but you need to actually visually compare the two sets of fingerprints.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone tell me how to check weight/height as a despecency? It comes up for the short term description ticket and I have no Idea what I should be highlighting besides that piece of paper and the person (I do it on every person and nothing ever comes up).

Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Khantael

@naru_joe93:

Weight discrepancy - highlight the weight on the document, and the weight given at the bottom left (you know where the clock is that you highlight if there's an expired document? On the other side of the desk, it tells the person's weight).

Height discrepancy, highlight it on the document that gives it and then highlight the person (there's a height chart behind where people are standing so you can tell when it's really off, but doesn't hurt to check sometimes with some hairstyles too).

-

@psychopenguin

Fingerprints can be used to check a few things. If you fingerprint somebody whose names don't match, it's not the fingerprint you're interested in. It's the aliases field, which is on the same paper.

eg. Somebody's name is John Doe on one document and John Doo on another. You finger print them, and look at the alias field. If it says, "John Doe - no known aliases", then they're lying. (You can check if you like by interrogating the 'no known aliases' bit with the fake name - it'll come up as discrepancy detected.) If on the other hand it says John Doo is an alias of theirs, you can let them through provided there aren't any further problems.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khantael said:

@naru_joe93:

Weight discrepancy - highlight the weight on the document, and the weight given at the bottom left (you know where the clock is that you highlight if there's an expired document? On the other side of the desk, it tells the person's weight).

Height discrepancy, highlight it on the document that gives it and then highlight the person (there's a height chart behind where people are standing so you can tell when it's really off, but doesn't hurt to check sometimes with some hairstyles too).

OH WOW. Didnt even notice that stuff. Thanks a bunch (also, someone tell GB to fix notifications again. I wouldnt have seen this if I didnt come back to this thread and looked for it).

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Wow, it never even occurred to me to compare the finger prints. I thought one was the person's prints, and the printed copy was something like lab results from those prints that confirmed the name of who the prints belonged to.

But in the real world, that would make no sense. Instantly knowing the name that goes with some random person's fingerprints is not technology that exists. At least not in this game. Not sure why I made that assumption.

It's really just a copy of the prints on record that correspond to the name on the passport, and not necessarily the person in front of you. Geez, it should have been obvious.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@psychopenguin: Are you actually comparing the fingerprints they give you with the ones that print out?

I was a bit confused about that at first. I assumed if the printout had the right name on it that I could let them through, but you need to actually visually compare the two sets of fingerprints.

...Well shit.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having an issue since the access permit became a thing. You used to be able to compare fingerprints from the supplement id to the fingerprints provided during investigation, but the access permit (which replaced that) doesnt seem to have a fingerprint on it like the id supplement did. I, occasionally, get cases where I would like to compare and have NO clue where the fingerprint has been moved to.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@naru_joe93: You don't need to compare the fingerprints to the Id supplement. When you take fingerprints two documents should show up, one at the bottom of the screen (where citations would usually pop up) and one that the person gives back to you.

Just compare them, the one that pops up immediately is what the fingerprints should be, it also has alias information in it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.