Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Papo & Yo

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Acting as a metaphor for addiction and escaping a hard reality through imagination, this depressing, though poignant game combines environmental manipulation and AI interaction to create a story-driven puzzle experience.

So I just finished Papo & Yo...

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By VincentVendetta

I... I don't like it. At all. I'm sorry. The level design is sloppy, the camerawork is never satisfying, and the story has no pacing and is too naïve for its own good.

But this isn't about me; what did you think about the game?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

Well as top wiki editor for Papo & yo, I have no idea. I looked up a bunch of videos of it to help the wiki. I don't have a ps3. So are you saying that I shouldn't play it?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I really like the idea, but judging from the quicklook it just looks like an extremely (like you said) sloppy game. The animations are horrendous. and it's such a drab thing to look at.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatdudeguy

I just finished the game as well, and I'm not a huge fan. I liked a lot of the unusual visual design, thought the music was amazing, and I thought the monster/boy relationship was a great example of the kind of impactful game mechanics Jonathan Blow talks about.

But the story, which I though would be the high point of an autobiographical game, is kind of a mess. There's no pacing, inconsistent metaphors, unnecessary tangents, and it ends predictably. Though the game wears its "abusive alcoholic dad" metaphor on its sleeve, both through the opening sequence and in the press, it would have been much more effective without knowing the metaphor ahead-of-time.

The controls are sloppy, but I never failed a jump or died because of them. I just got caught against protruding edges while running.

The game was really very interesting, though, and I'd recommend it for ~$5. The $15 it's currently at is too high. IMHO, this would have been amazing if it were half as long and everything were stripped out but the boy-and-his-monster mechanics and the ending.

Jpnkrck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jpnkrck

I think the game has a lot going for it in a narrative sense, and dealing with child abuse is not something seen all the time in a video game. The mechanics are broken, but I think this game will be talked about in the next few weeks quite a bit about how it goes about its material. I enjoyed it, but it is sloppy.

manicmyna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By manicmyna

going to find the other 8 stupid hats & put this purchase down as another one that I shouldn't have made

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mtcantor

Finally. I have been keeping this to myself up until now, but I am just completely disinterested in Papa y Yo. Everything about it looks just precious and dull.

Glad to know this doesn't make me a bad person, or at least if it does, there are a few of us around.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

Lula! LUUUULA!!!!

the quicklook annoyed the hell out of me

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By demarcon

I fell asleep sitting up while watching the quick look. The game looked that boring.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By sjschmidt93

I loved the demo. The bad reviews are kind of shocking to me...

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Kierkegaard

I really like this game. And what I like it for is the game part. The story is fine. There's a good, true message in their about how to deal with other's addictions. But what I loved was manipulating the world in ways that no game has ever done. There are new mechanics and ideas in here, they are fun to do, and the game's aesthetic is great. I'm happy I bought it, no matter the rough spots.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By VincentVendetta

@Kierkegaard: In some way Papo & Yo is a cross between Pan's Labyrinth and Inception, but it doesn't have the impact of the former or the pacing or weight of the latter. I agree that manipulating the world in the first half is kinda neat, but it runs out of twists very quick, right down to ripping off the curling city of Inception (Ok, this is cool... but I've seen this before). And the latter puzzles (the last three if I remember) are incredibly tedious and repetitive.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It looked really boring from the quick look. Stupid easy puzzles and a weird plot...No thank you.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Kierkegaard

@VincentVendetta: I guess I just appreciate that it was constantly playing with my expectations. Each new area had a little or big twist, in aesthetics, in mechanics, in solutions, that built on and shifted what had come before. That's difficult and rare.

It's not really trying to be Pan's Labyrinth or Inception, is it? Yes, it is a fantasy world that corresponds to a real-world psyche, which is not a new creation (see Heaven and Hell), but it doesn't require the bloodiness of Pan's or the exactitude of Inception. It's loose and playful. It has its rules and its themes, but it seems to revel in finding as many angles as possible to come at them.

That's how I felt. I'm sorry it didn't grab you as it did me.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By RedBullRacer

Well I just finished it and loved the crap out of it!

I played the demo and thought it was really cool, but then saw some not so good review scores so I nearly didn't buy it. I am so glad I did, cos it's awesome! Has this magical feeling to it from start to finish, I love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.