Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Paradox Interactive AB

Company »

A Swedish publisher and developer best known for its strategy games, mainly released for the PC.

What's the best paradox interactive game out of

Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shotgunblast97

Crusader king 2, Victoria 2 and Heart of iron 3. So what was your favorite out of all 3 of them.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Mount and Blade: Warband.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By RadixNegative2

The idea of starting and learning Crusader King 2 was so daunting to me that I kept putting it off. I eventually decided to say screw it and just go in not knowing anything and starting off with the Holy Roman Empire.

I've never had so much fun "losing" and seeing my empire fall into complete chaos and everyone around me turning against me. Not only did I have fun, but I learned the game as well.

So my vote goes for Crusader King 2.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beeftothetaco

Crusader King 2.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By predator

I vote for Hearts of Iron III.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

crusader kings 2 deffo, as I hate the other two

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Animasta said:

crusader kings 2 deffo, as I hate the other two

This woman speaks the truth.

EDIT: To be fair, i don't hate Hearts Of Iron III because i didn't played much of that. But Victoria 2? Fuck. That. Shit.
    TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheKramer89

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Read the question dude. He didn't say "Best game of all time."

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gloomytangent

CK2 is definitely the most polished and approachable of them.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Animasta

@MikeGosot: hell, HOI3 has had like 2 expansions and just now people are calling it only alright and decent

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Animasta said:

@MikeGosot: hell, HOI3 has had like 2 expansions and just now people are calling it only alright and decent

So, i guess i shouldn't give that a second chance, huh?
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

nah. Most people prefer the games that were based off of HOI2; Arsenal of Democracy (why'd I say diplomacy I am dumb) and Darkest Hour

I'm not the one to ask which one is better, unfortunately!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I just bought Crusader Kings 2 a few days ago on that Steam sale, but I haven't played it yet. I forgot that a friend of mine gifted me Europa Universalis 3 months ago, so I figured I would start there. Let me say that the tutorials in this game don't really teach you anything, I've been having to rely on Youtube videos. Actually while I'm at it, any tips would be greatly appreciated (or a link to a thorough tutorial).

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slay3r1583

Out of the ones you posted I would have to go with CK2. It is the "easiest" and "most accessible" of the three. My personal favorite is Europa Universalis 3 however. I looked into HoI3 and even already having a bit of grand strategy experience that just seemed like too much for me. I played a little Victoria 2 and it just wasn't my thing. Check out http://www.paradoxian.org some of the articles on the wiki have not been updated to the newest expansion but it can still be a helpful site. Also I am FAR from an expert but I can try to provide some advice based on my experience if you have any specific questions.

No Caption Provided
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animasta

@SathingtonWaltz said:

I just bought Crusader Kings 2 a few days ago on that Steam sale, but I haven't played it yet. I forgot that a friend of mine gifted me Europa Universalis 3 months ago, so I figured I would start there. Let me say that the tutorials in this game don't really teach you anything, I've been having to rely on Youtube videos. Actually while I'm at it, any tips would be greatly appreciated (or a link to a thorough tutorial).

http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cameron

Of those games, definitely Crusader Kings II.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Rohok

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gloomytangent

@SathingtonWaltz: Here's something that I wrote about getting into Paradox games in another thread a few days ago.

@GloomyTangent said:

@BoG: There's some really good guides out there (and I'm hardly an expert myself) for EU3. That said, I think that you should try CK2 first, then move on up to EU. CK has a much smaller scale (particularly if you play a lesser noble), and since it's more personality focused it's easier to get into it like you would get into the Sims. That's one thing that's really hard to get into new players heads, is that honestly the games are often a lot more like the Sims than Civ. Sometimes you just need to let it go. Every once in a while you'll need to pause and micromanage an aspect of your economy, or put down a revolt, or whatever, but a significant part of the fun of these games (particularly CK) is just letting the game go and seeing what crazy shit happens.

If you keep that in mind, the fact that the game has no win state really becomes a lot more comfortable. I just like to set hilarious, ahistorical goals and see how that shit goes. For example, in EU3 I once played as England from the very start of the available timeline, roleplaying an irrational hatred of the Portugese. 150 years later, the King of Portugal had fled to the Azores, which had 30 settlers and 50 natives on it. I decided to let him keep it, because fuck Portugal. Keep in mind that during this game I figured out how the tech transfer and cultural assimilation stuff worked. Just by playing and letting things go. I still have no fucking clue how the trade agreements or anything work. Maybe eventually I'll play the Dutch or Swiss or someone and actually put in the effort, role playing as a trading power, but for now it just doesn't interest me. Would I play EU 'better' if I understood it? Sure. But I don't care, I was too busy grudgefucking Portugal into submission.

Basically, don't feel you have to win to have a good time. You're going to fuck things up, and in fact should. Because it's hilarious.

Oh, and stay the fuck away from Hearts of Iron until you have a good handle on Paradox stuff. Their games are ridiculous enough without having to manage a bunch of NATO unit symbols and supply lines.

The guides are good, but I find that the right mindset is more important than anything.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ben_H

Hearts of Iron III is insane. I still haven't figured it out. The tutorial is GARBAGE.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Animasta

@Rohok said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This.

mount and blade isn't a paradox game it's a taleworlds game goddamned people

also EU3 is the best with mods; my favorite mod is the colony name changer mod, so when I colonized north america as Norway instead of new york I got new oslo :3

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phampire

I can only assume that we are talking about games published by paradox interactive, since its a published and games such as Crusader kings 2 was developed by paradox development studio. If that is the case then mount and blade: warband gets my vote.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By granderojo

The only correct answer is Victoria II. In most other paradox grand strategy games, war is the catalyst which holds together the rest of the game. In Victoria II, it's all about political and economic stability. War is but a means, one of many tools to reach that stability & I found it infinitely rewarding.

No Caption Provided

Also I love how 'realistic' the game is. Certain countries have huge advantages, but the alliances keeps things balanced.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Leptok

I would go CK2 to get comfortable with a map game, EU3 to move up and get a bit more complex and grand, and then HOI3 to be both controlling a complex country as well as the tactics of each unit.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Leptok

And I would say cheat some to make it fun if you need to. I love to start an Irish empire in each game, but to jumpstart that I give myself some money at the start.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@GloomyTangent said:

@SathingtonWaltz: Here's something that I wrote about getting into Paradox games in another thread a few days ago.

@GloomyTangent said:

@BoG: There's some really good guides out there (and I'm hardly an expert myself) for EU3. That said, I think that you should try CK2 first, then move on up to EU. CK has a much smaller scale (particularly if you play a lesser noble), and since it's more personality focused it's easier to get into it like you would get into the Sims. That's one thing that's really hard to get into new players heads, is that honestly the games are often a lot more like the Sims than Civ. Sometimes you just need to let it go. Every once in a while you'll need to pause and micromanage an aspect of your economy, or put down a revolt, or whatever, but a significant part of the fun of these games (particularly CK) is just letting the game go and seeing what crazy shit happens.

If you keep that in mind, the fact that the game has no win state really becomes a lot more comfortable. I just like to set hilarious, ahistorical goals and see how that shit goes. For example, in EU3 I once played as England from the very start of the available timeline, roleplaying an irrational hatred of the Portugese. 150 years later, the King of Portugal had fled to the Azores, which had 30 settlers and 50 natives on it. I decided to let him keep it, because fuck Portugal. Keep in mind that during this game I figured out how the tech transfer and cultural assimilation stuff worked. Just by playing and letting things go. I still have no fucking clue how the trade agreements or anything work. Maybe eventually I'll play the Dutch or Swiss or someone and actually put in the effort, role playing as a trading power, but for now it just doesn't interest me. Would I play EU 'better' if I understood it? Sure. But I don't care, I was too busy grudgefucking Portugal into submission.

Basically, don't feel you have to win to have a good time. You're going to fuck things up, and in fact should. Because it's hilarious.

Oh, and stay the fuck away from Hearts of Iron until you have a good handle on Paradox stuff. Their games are ridiculous enough without having to manage a bunch of NATO unit symbols and supply lines.

The guides are good, but I find that the right mindset is more important than anything.

The guide that Animasta linked me to was fantastic, and I watched a few LP's as well. My understanding of the game has improved immensely since then and I'm thoroughly enjoying my current game as Castille. And yes, it sounds strange but I know exactly what you mean in reference to "the right mindset". It took me a little while to get out of that "Civilization" style mindset and instead of treating the games combat as "super Chess" (what I usually refer to Civ V's combat as), I treat is as "super Risk". With the "Risk on steroids" mindset I found it easier to understand the games mechanics of war.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By falling_fast

crusader kings II probably.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chrissedoff

Crusader Kings II is my favorite.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Will1Lucky

EU3 is my favourite, followed by Hearts of Iron 3, then Victoria 2 and finally Crusader Kings 2.

However if I was getting into Paradox games I would go EU3>Vic2>HOI3, I'd actually leave Crusader Kings 2 in its own seperate division given how different it it with the character driven as opposed to Realm/State gameplay. Regardless, if you learn how to play one odds are the others are picked up quickly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.