Paragon Shutting Down April 26

#1 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

Epic announced today that the game is shutting down on April 26th. Here's their statement:

Hey Everyone,

It’s with heavy hearts we’ve decided to close down Paragon.

We truly appreciate everything you’ve put into Paragon. We received many passionate ideas for where to take the game; the outpouring of thoughtful suggestions is another testament to this incredible community.

After careful consideration, and many difficult internal debates, we feel there isn’t a clear path for us to grow Paragon into a MOBA that retains enough players to be sustainable.

We didn’t execute well enough to deliver on the promise of Paragon. We have failed you -- despite the team’s incredibly hard work -- and we’re sorry.

To try to make this right, Epic is offering a full refund to every Paragon player for every purchase on any platform. This refund will come directly from Epic rather than your platform provider.

To request your refund, follow these steps:

1. If you’re not playing on PC, link your Epic account (create one if necessary).
  2. If you play on PC, or have already linked your Epic account, you can request your refund here.

We’ll continue operating Paragon servers until April 26, 2018. As the player population continues to decrease, matchmaking times and quality will further degrade.

Thank you for joining us on this journey and for your dedication to Paragon.

While everyone will be quick to blame Fortnite, I think this game was always gonna die a slow death. Huge sweeping changes every few months, characters will no personality (they were working on voice lines and whatnot, but those never came), a card system that always felt needlessly complicated and tacked on, and what I can only assume is a declining marke for MOBAs all contributed to this game's death.

And while I had a lot of ups and downs with this game, I think ultimately, I'm sad to see it go.

On the bright side, depending on how much I am refunded, looks like I'll be able to afford Monster Hunter world now.

#2 Posted by TuxedoCruise (248 posts) -

This isn't solely due to the major success of Fortnite BR, but I think it is a contributing factor.

Even looking at Fortnite's main PVE mode, that thing is also dying a slow death in terms of players and developer support.

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (4417 posts) -

I tried to get into it a few times.

As a seasoned MOBA player the gameplay just always felt off and the progression systems were needlessly complicated.

Surprised they are giving people their money back, nice gesture though.

#4 Edited by floydeo (453 posts) -

Sad to see it go. I played a ridiculous amount of this game until they made that one update that changed the speed, the way the decks worked and the map.

#5 Posted by Zirilius (1700 posts) -

I tried to get into it a few times.

As a seasoned MOBA player the gameplay just always felt off and the progression systems were needlessly complicated.

Surprised they are giving people their money back, nice gesture though.

I felt the same as someone who plays MOBA's regularly. I thought for a 3rd person MOBA that Smite's pace and feel was just better.

#6 Posted by TheHT (15839 posts) -

Tried the beta and it didn't do much for me. Stylistically, the whole card, just the feel of the game, all of it wasn't my thing..

#7 Posted by splodge (2768 posts) -

Fair play on the refunds, they don't have to do that.

It's a shame but this game was a mis-fire from the start. Ironic that it closes down after adapting a different "fad". I hope no ne is getting laid off and they get moved to the fortnite team.

#8 Posted by HeelBill (159 posts) -

I liked what this game was doing but ultimately it lacked personality and they changed it up a little too frequently to ever attrack a long term base.

#9 Posted by NeoCalypso (752 posts) -

You know it's funny, at multiple points during the billion years Fortnite was in beta I complained that Epic was basically ignoring the game because Paragon was turning into what seemed like their big money maker and they were just putting all their effort into that. Now Paragon has dead, Fortnite is getting considerably bigger than even Paragon was, and Epic has gone back to focusing on only working on one other game while they forget that they are supposed to be making a new Unreal Tournament.

It's just crazy how quickly things can change around.

#10 Edited by OurSin_360 (6161 posts) -

Ironic that they shelved fortnight to try and ride the moba train and fortnight ends up being the success(thanks to pubg anyway).

Never got to try this out as it looked interesting despite being a moba.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (13817 posts) -

Taking bets on whether you think the first next casualty at Epic will be Fortnite's original, non-BR tower defense game/mode or the new player-content-provided Unreal Tournament.

Semi-related: bonus points if you can correctly predict the shutdowns of Lawbreakers and Quake Champions.

#12 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

@ajamafalous: I think UT gets the axe first. Is anyone playing that? Last I heard that thing was dead as fuck. People still play vanilla Fortnite and the fact it's attached to the Battle Royale which has been such a massive success means probably not only means it's easier to update, but also more likely people will try it out and dump money into it.

Lawbreakers and QC though? Oof, that's a tough one. I love the guy, but Cliffy B seems stubborn as all hell. As in he'll keep fighting even if both his arms and both his legs are blown off. That said - and I don't think this is some hot take - I don't think Lawbreakers survives the year. Even if it goes f2p, I fully expect to see it shut down by Dec 31.

Fucking QC...holy shit. I forgot this even existed. I think we have to wait and see what happens at E3. If Bethesda mentions this game, then that means it probably has another year left in it. If not a single word is uttered about this game, I think it's all but guaranteed that 2018 claims another victim.

#13 Posted by ripelivejam (13165 posts) -

I always liked the Unreal ass look of this game, though I only played a little of the tutorial truth be told. Thought it was doing better than this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b911d3722cb7
#14 Posted by deactivated-5b911d3722cb7 (70 posts) -

April 26th appears to not be a good day over the years. Paragon shuts down, the meltdown at Chernobyl, my birthday...is there a such thing as an anti-holiday?

#15 Posted by RonGalaxy (4936 posts) -

It is absolutely insane they are offering refunds of this magnitude. Was the game still in early access? Even if it was, they could easily have gotten away with offering nothing. Good on them for doing this! Not a big fan of their games, but epic seems to actually care about their customers.

#16 Posted by Sarnecki (1353 posts) -

It's the best looking moba, absolutely gorgeous, but yes the combat always felt... I don't want to say off, but I'd play heroes of the storm every day all day before Paragon. I love the idea of Paragon, but it just never brought it all together like Smite has.

#17 Edited by Napstar (187 posts) -

So bummed out they are shutting it down, put a lot of time in it. For me the gameplay just clicked, even when they made some drastic changes I just always stuck with it. It had a fun roster of character to play with, although a big thing the game was missing was more of a personality. Well I definetly have more of an appetite for MOBA's because of it, just never had the need to play an other. I'll try my luck with Dota and maybe some of the other MOBA's on PS4.

#18 Posted by BisonHero (11576 posts) -

Is full refund normal for this kinda thing? Giving back basically all revenue they ever gained from the game seems like an insane loss on a project that probably already wasn't turning much, if any, of a profit (though obviously only some percentage of players will take advantage of the refund).

When Donggate and Infinite Crisis and whatever else shut down, did they also refund all purchases?

#19 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

@bisonhero: Not to my knowledge. Some games will refund purchases made through certain platforms or purchases made within a certain time frame, but full refunds are almost nonexistent, so I would guess this is a first for a game that's "been out" for multiple years.

Reasons why I assume this is possible:

1. Paragon didn't actually make that much money.
  2. Fortnite is making that much money.
  3. They don't expect every single player to request a refund. The forms aren't complicated to fill out or anything, but you do need to provide proof of every purchases you want refunded. So between that and all the people going "meh, I just spent X amount of bucks on this game. No biggie for me.", assuming they're even aware of the shutdown to begin with, I can imagine what they're paying out isn't even remotely close to what they made.
#20 Posted by ajamafalous (13817 posts) -

Is full refund normal for this kinda thing? Giving back basically all revenue they ever gained from the game seems like an insane loss on a project that probably already wasn't turning much, if any, of a profit (though obviously only some percentage of players will take advantage of the refund).

When Donggate and Infinite Crisis and whatever else shut down, did they also refund all purchases?

Definitely not; I think it speaks to just how much they're making (or believe they'll continue to be making?) from Fortnite BR

#21 Edited by Veektarius (6409 posts) -

@sarnecki: I think that you're capturing exactly what my issue with it was. I liked the character designs, but the aesthetic (and perspective), seemed to indicate a MOBA with more action-oriented mechanics. That's what I wanted. But the mechanics and game length seemed pretty closely tied to League and Dota. Things like gun characters having no range to speak of, slow travel time, etc. Even though it doesn't try to be a shooter at all, HoTS really is the clear option if you want a more action-y moba.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.