Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Parasite Eve

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 09, 1998

A strange mixing of survival horror and JRPG, Parasite Eve stars Aya Brea in her attempts to stop Mitochondria from destroying mankind.

Parasite Eve On PSN!! FINALLY!

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Deeveeus

After trading in so many classic PS1 games years ago to get my PS2, I have regretted losing some (Only MGS I regretted enough to buy in physical form again) 

PE was definitely one of them, this was such a classic awesome game, and now I can get it back for less than the money I got at EB for it.....faaaaaaaaaaaantastic :P 

What games are you folks waiting for on the PS1 classic list? I got RE back, PE (2 I did not like a whole lot, so meh) FF7 (didn't sell it, someone jacked it on me from a party), and FF tactics has shown up again in 80 forms, Soul Reaver and Silent Hill came my way...I can't seem to think of much else I would NEED from that era...most platformers just feel so broken now since the PS2 days, same with shooters (ever go back and play the first Medal of Honor...oh dear god NO lol) 

I realize this is broken as all getout, but hey, it's a day for random ramblings :P

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Deeveeus

After trading in so many classic PS1 games years ago to get my PS2, I have regretted losing some (Only MGS I regretted enough to buy in physical form again) 

PE was definitely one of them, this was such a classic awesome game, and now I can get it back for less than the money I got at EB for it.....faaaaaaaaaaaantastic :P 

What games are you folks waiting for on the PS1 classic list? I got RE back, PE (2 I did not like a whole lot, so meh) FF7 (didn't sell it, someone jacked it on me from a party), and FF tactics has shown up again in 80 forms, Soul Reaver and Silent Hill came my way...I can't seem to think of much else I would NEED from that era...most platformers just feel so broken now since the PS2 days, same with shooters (ever go back and play the first Medal of Honor...oh dear god NO lol) 

I realize this is broken as all getout, but hey, it's a day for random ramblings :P

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

You forgot to mention its only $6. Parasite Eve on PSN for $6. 

Everyone buy it now.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Going to buy this today!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monetarydread

great game. I am going to pick it up and make my way to the top of that huge tower.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I read the book and thought it was good.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By X19

Once again the EU gets jack shit compared to the US. Come on SCEE wake up.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deeveeus
    @MonetaryDread said:
    " great game. I am going to pick it up and make my way to the top of that huge tower. "
    Ahh yes, the Chrysler Building challenge...don't think I ever did it!
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deeveeus
    @X19 said:
    " Once again the EU gets jack shit compared to the US. Come on SCEE wake up. "
    Do you tend to just get them later? If not that is a BUMMER....
    Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Shady
    @InfiniteGeass said:
    " I read the book and thought it was good. "
    Just in case you didn't know this takes place in the same world but isn't an adaption. The story is pretty crazy, which is why I'd like to see PE2 on PSN even if it isn't as great. The 3rd Birthday is going to be something from what I've heard though in terms of story.
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I still have have both physical copies of the PE games. I don't think I'd ever be willing to part with them. They're both fantastic.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By AuthenticM

I'm going to buy PE this friday. 

And I'm still waiting for The Legend of Dragoon.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Jaktajj
    I'M STILL WAITING FOR WILD9!!!!!!!! WHY DID I SELL IT?!! I LOOOOVED IT!!!!!!!

.........however, I shall check out this Parasite Eve (it totally passed me by back in the day!)
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By monetarydread
    @Deeveeus said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    " great game. I am going to pick it up and make my way to the top of that huge tower. "
    Ahh yes, the Chrysler Building challenge...don't think I ever did it! "

Yeah, neither did I.  I made it to something like the seventieth floor and found out my gear wasn't good enough to continue.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By kingzetta
    @el_tajij said:
    " I'M STILL WAITING FOR WILD9!!!!!!!! WHY DID I SELL IT?!! I LOOOOVED IT!!!!!!!  .........however, I shall check out this Parasite Eve (it totally passed me by back in the day!) "
    wild9 really?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By animateria

Has this aged well? 

I'm very curious but PS1 polygons scare me.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X19
    @Deeveeus said:
    " @X19 said:
    Do you tend to just get them later? If not that is a BUMMER.... "
    We either get them a few months later or they just never come to the store. I think the only game we have had before the US was Vagrant Story. 
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Perfect timing, my copy of PE1 got torn up something fierce on my last move. And $6?  

Fuck yeah. 

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Jaktajj
    @kingzetta:  Oh man, I was like 11 at the time of playing it, I bet it was considered really bad but I loved it so much!
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta
    @el_tajij said:
    " @kingzetta:  Oh man, I was like 11 at the time of playing it, I bet it was considered really bad but I loved it so much! "
    I don't really even remember it either, something about floating boxes?
    It's just you never hear anyone say "Man remember Wild9?"
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @ESREVER: you guys get awesome shit for seriously low prices.... if it ever does come out on the UK psn it'll prob cost 100 billion dollars (£8) 

/jealous
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I might get this when I'm finished with what I'm playing right now.

I was looking forward to 3rd birthday but I've never played a Parasite Eve game before.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Driadon

Any news on how this plays with a lack of L2 and R2 on the PSP? I totally want to pull the trigger on this, but have no idea how the controls are.

CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CmdrSheppard

I want a PS3 now

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Cathadan
    @Driadon said:

" Any news on how this plays with a lack of L2 and R2 on the PSP? I totally want to pull the trigger on this, but have no idea how the controls are. "

Just picked this up as I had never played it and 3rd Birthday looks really cool. The R2 and L2 aren't used at all, so the game is 100% A-OK for PSP use.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm tempted to get this for my PSP, even though I own it on disc. I never finished it, and its such a damn good game.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Deeveeus said:
    " @X19 said:
    Do you tend to just get them later? If not that is a BUMMER.... "
    No, we just tend to not get them altogether!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@X19 said:
    Well, we never got Parasite Eve for the PS1 anyway in Europe. I remember importing it from the US. 
    And it came with an awesome demo disc with a trailer for FF8 which blew me away back then and a demo for Xenogears which made me fall in love with it. 
    Amethus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amethus
    @Driadon said:

" Any news on how this plays with a lack of L2 and R2 on the PSP? I totally want to pull the trigger on this, but have no idea how the controls are. "

The PSP maps R2 and L2 to the analog nub. So right is R2, left is L2, and up is both. Makes it really awkward in some PS1 classics but for most, it's fine.     
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Nasar7

This reminds me I started a run of PE 1 towards the end of last summer but never got around to finishing it once school started back up. Gotta get on that.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PixelPrinny

Parasite Eve was a terrific game with one of the most unique plots ever. It's a bit on the short side (the game is easily beatable in about 5 hours the second time through, not including the Chrysler Building) I played that game to death back on the PS including the Chrysler Building multiple times so I think I'm gonna pass on picking it up,  but it's a solid game that anyone into RPGs should try out if they haven't before. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Driadon
    @Drew4115 said:
    " @Driadon said:

The PSP maps R2 and L2 to the analog nub. So right is R2, left is L2, and up is both. Makes it really awkward in some PS1 classics but for most, it's fine.      "
    Which is why I tend to avoid games that use all four of the L and R buttons heavily when playing them on the PSP. 

After picking it up, however, I did find that it barely uses any of those shoulder buttons! Also: They mapped the directional stuff so that it assumes you're using DualShock the whole time. No tank controls! :D
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By jacksukeru

I've heard of Parasite Eve but have never seen any gameplay footage, is it like Resident Evil, gameplay wise? 

I got Soul Reaver just the other week and played it to completion for the first time. It was nice to finally have finished all the parts in that series (alright save for Blood Omen) and you sadly eventually get used to the graphics. 

As for PS1 games I'd want to see on PSN there are a few: 

• Alundra and maybe Alundra 2, I've never played them but they seem like fun, Zelda like, games so I'm curious. 
    • Tombi!/Tomba!, Played the demo an insane amount of times but never the full game. It was so awesome.
    • Jade Cocoon, Another case of me playing the demo over and over, would love this for my PSP. Edit: Checked Wikipedia and it was only released in the JP store.
    • Evil Zone, While I still have a working copy of this (only this and Monster Rancher) I'd still want to see it on there. Cause it's awesome.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iDarktread

Xenogears - 09.99  
    Vagrant Story - 05.99  
    Paraside Eve - 05.99

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deeveeus
    @RockmanBionics said: 
    As for PS1 games I'd want to see on PSN there are a few: 
    • Alundra and maybe Alundra 2, I've never played them but they seem like fun, Zelda like, games so I'm curious. 

Alundra is on the PSN in NA, I noticed it last night when I took a gander at what was there (Really considering Arc the Lad, never played it, but I love those tactics games) 

As far as the PE gameplay, PE 2 is a little more like RE, but PE 1....well I would say it's game play is actually a little closer to maybe Final Fantasy 12? Its more RPGish than Resident evil.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#35  Edited By zidd
    @animateria: Its very rough around the edges in terms of controls and presentation. Using either the stick or the D-Pad (but NOT both) for movement/menu navigation is my biggest gripe with the way the game works so far. Its important to note that I'm playing this game for the first time. I would find it unplayable if it had CCTV camera angles AND tank controls but luckily it only contains the former. I'm liking it so far though.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Driadon
    @Zidd: You can customize your control settings when you hit the PS button. I changed mine so that I can use either the d-pad or the stick for movement since it doesn't use the L2 and R2's that I was so curious about.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zidd
    @Driadon: I tried looking in the options for stuff like that but the only control options you get on the ps3 are "Analog Mode" or "Digital Mode". I want to be able to use the stick for movement and the D-Pad for menu navigation. Changing the game to "Analog Mode" uses the stick for everything and the opposite is true for "Digital Mode". Its basically like pushing the "Analog" button on the dualshock 1
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Driadon
    @Zidd: Ah! I haven't tried it on the PS3 yet. If I find anything that lets you do what you're looking for, I'll let you know 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zidd
    @RockmanBionics: Its got combat very similar to FF13 where you wait for a bar to fill up before you can attack. Its got (old) RE style pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles. The controls are very usable except for the albeit minor issue i'm having with the Stick/D-Pad being used exclusively for both movement and menu navigation. Pick it up if you are curious about it. 
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Zidd said:
    " @RockmanBionics: Its got combat very similar to FF13 where you wait for a bar to fill up before you can attack. Its got (old) RE style pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles. The controls are very usable except for the albeit minor issue i'm having with the Stick/D-Pad being used exclusively for both movement and menu navigation. Pick it up if you are curious about it.  "
    That and you do move freely...I cant remember now, but there is ammo and "parasite" or magic points aren't there?
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zidd
    @Deeveeus: Yep. Ammo is limited and your parasite energy also recharges. You can also glitch to make it recharge faster I believe.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Zidd: I can't, since it's not out on EU PSN. Not that interested either way.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By animateria
    @Zidd: Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of hitting up a walkthrough on Youtube, just to see if it really interests me.
    sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By sopachuco13
    @Deeveeus said:
    same with shooters (ever go back and play the first Medal of Honor...oh dear god NO lol)  I realize this is broken as all getout, but hey, it's a day for random ramblings :P "

I actually bought it on PSN. Yee Gawd! It is difficult to go back to FPS games. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.