Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Path of Exile

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2013

Path of Exile is a free-to-play PC online action Role-Playing Game set in a dark fantasy world.

Backlog 365: Day 55 - Path of Exile

phishyphishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By phishyphishy
    No Caption Provided

For Backlog 365 I plan on playing one game on my backlog everyday this year and write about it. For each game I will decide if I want to put it on my "Shelved" list (games that I plan to come back to and play in depth) or put it on the "Retired" list (games that I will delete or sell and move on with my life).

• February 24
    • PC
    • Time Played: 31 minutes

I have to admit that Path of Exile is clearly not a game that I can make any clear judgement after 31 minutes. But will that stop me? Of course not. What I can say is that Path of Exile is clearly trying to capture the essence of Diablo, but while I was playing I couldn't stop thinking that I would rather be playing Diablo. This is always the problem when a game gets too close to the original. But that isn't why I decided I didn't want to continue playing Path of Exile. The reason I decided to retire it is because of the endless scope of it's free MMO-like nature. I don't feel like putting too many hours into a game like Path of Exile until I realize that it has no satisfying end point. Or that's at least what I assume will happen.

Judgment: Retired

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There may be no other game out there with as good a cost/hours played ratio as Path of Exile. I mean, it's free, so technically that ratio is either infinite or undefined, but still, it's got an enormous amount of depth and costs zero money, ever, unless you want some cosmetics or a bunch of extra stash tabs to squirrel away mildly rare items.

The problem is that you are totally right. There is no end. You just keep playing, and they keep running new leagues, and adding new content, and rejiggering the skill tree so you have to relearn the game, and it continues being engrossing and fun and the loot-based slot machine is fair but slow and you just keep playing until you die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.