Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Path of Exile

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2013

Path of Exile is a free-to-play PC online action Role-Playing Game set in a dark fantasy world.

I have a problem. (hooked on PoE, endgame help)

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ares42

A few weeks before Witcher came out I was bored and decided to check this game out for the first time. Well, technically not the first time since I played a little bit very early on, but still. Anyways, I can't stop thinking about this game. The levelling system and skill mechanics have gotten me completely hooked. I want to try out all kinds of builds and I keep plotting out different tree setups etc etc.

The problem is, every time I beat Merciless Dom my desire to keep playing that character vanishes. For as much as the builds have caught me the loot just does nothing for me. It all seems like babystep upgrades with no real distinctable differences, all for no real purpose. So, if there are any more experienced players out there, please help me transition into the end-game of this game. What should I be doing ? Are there any actual tangible goals to reach ? I know about maps, but it just seems like more of the same grindstone. Is there anything more to it than just grinding the same areas over and over hoping for the dice to roll your way ? (or eventually just trade for better items). I guess the map bosses are pretty much the same as rift bosses in Diablo 3, but their loot doesn't seem to be meaningfully better in any way ?

Also, I haven't really delved into the hideout stuff. Is this something I should be checking out ? And if so, what am I supposed to do ?

PS: sorry mods, I suck at titles.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

From what I know, the endgame is just maps for better gear to do harder maps for more gear (and so on) until the level cap. It doesn't really change up. I don't blame you for wanting to make a new character each time you finish Merciless: this is exactly what I tend to do in games as well (Dark Souls is a great example, as I rarely touch NG+). Since most of the fun of a new character is in planning out a new build and watching them grow and gear up into something unique, I don't really think there's a problem in always rolling new characters. Leagues can be a fun side diversion, and since they reset at a point, you don't even have to worry about the endgame content. In the end, if making new characters is what you like doing, just stick to that. I don't really think you're missing much with the maps, and you can always poke around a few of them to see what they're like.

As far as the hideout stuff, there are some really nice benefits to be had. Leveling up the various masters allows you to bring them to your hideout and pay currencies to add specific stats to your gear. This can help you to round out an almost perfect piece of gear and make it work with your character. It takes a bit of grinding to level them up and unlock everything (either through finding them out in the game or doing their dailies from your hideout), so if you don't really care about gear or the endgame, it might not be worth your time.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ares42

@wemibelec90: Ye, I guess. It just feels like such a shame since most builds tend to only really come together pretty late.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing merciless Dom is when I feel like the real game actually begins, everything prior to that is just practice. Maps aren't just a grind for better gear, they get significantly harder as the levels ramp up and I love the challenge, especially when you alch a map and get a crazy 120% item quantity roll. Some of the bosses require a lot of preparation, some of them you shouldn't even try unless you have the build for it. The map system has a lot of depth, just like everything else in this game.

Also, you could think about maybe trying hardcore? Once I went HC I never looked back. Everything you do, your build choices, your gear, it all pays off so much more because you know it will matter in the long run.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

@loafsmooch: Please indulge more. I feel like many of my issues just comes from lack of knowledge (which also seem sorta hard to acquire). Does maps actually give improved loot compared to grinding other areas ? I guess they're higher levels so they might, but from what I've seen the loot in the game seems completely scattershot. I feel like the loot system itself is even too obscure for me to fully grasp. When levelling I often find myself going long stretches without changing out any gear, so levels doesn't seem to matter much. And how does maps really work ? Like I've gotten a handful, but when doing them I don't really seem to find enough maps to sustain doing them so I have to farm other areas for them ? And to get higher level ones I have to craft them (which seems like even more "game world" farming) ?

I've done a few of them, and I could see myself getting into a rhythm with them (just like rifts in Diablo), but all the stuff around it is making it hard for me to breach the "bubble". Should I just be chain-farming the maps I have and not worry about it ? I'm just afraid of doing the whole typical newb currency thing (and spend a bunch of valuable ones) again.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Yep, this game has layers upon layers of depth so even people who have been playing since the beta are still learning things. Just try to keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask the in-game chat or the forums.

The level of the monsters is what determines the item levels. Item levels determine how good the rolls can potentially be. Most of the mods max out at around level 72. Most of the really good unique items only drop in maps, some of these are "build-enabling" and allow you to do really crazy things. Granted, these uniques have low drop rates so you can't depend on finding one, but if you have a decent grasp of the economy almost all of them are obtainable. There will be times when you feel like you ain't getting shit, but even those vendored rares add up to a lot of alts. Also, you can do the vendor recipe for chaos orbs for a guaranteed steady income. If you haven't looked it up you should go check out the vendor recipes wiki page. Loot is very random and can feel underwhelming in the early maps but once you reach 72+ you will start to notice a difference. And the item quantity % on maps helps a lot.

When I start mapping I always transmute and alt/augment them until they have two good mods. Good is subjective, but I usually go for ones which don't have much impact on my build while raising the item quantity % as much as possible. Extra rogue exiles is always good because of them being loot piñatas. If you feel confident with your build/crazy enough and you have the alchemy orbs to spare, you can start using them on maps. This way I very rarely run out of maps. And when I do, trading maps is actually fairly cheap. You can usually get a big package of the lower level ones for a chaos.

Whenever you find something you don't know the value of, look it up on poe.trade, it indexes all the forum shop threads and basically acts like an auction house. You can even figure out the value of rare items by tinkering with the mods and appropriate numbers. Creating your own shop thread will drastically increase the chances of people buying your stuff. There's a program called Procurement which helps and automates some of this.

If you are alching stuff to upgrade your gear, make sure you pick up the items from the highest level maps you can run. Try not to ever alch stuff you buy from vendors.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loafsmooch: Thanks a bunch. Lots of good advice. Don't think I'd ever even think about upgrading the rarity of maps, which seems pretty crucial now that you mention it.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: No problem. I probably forgot a bunch of important info but I'm always happy to help with this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.