Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Patrick Klepek

Person » credited in 3 games

Senior reporter at Waypoint, former senior reporter at Kotaku and former news editor at Giant Bomb. He began a career in gaming journalism at fourteen, and once served as a news editor for G4TV. He has been credited in the "special thanks" sections of Guitar Hero II and The Silver Lining.

Favorite Patrick content/moments?

• 128 results
    lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, what happened to the "The End" article? I just saw it, I wanted to go to the comments, but it wouldn't work. When I refreshed the page, the article is gone.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, what happened to the "The End" article? I just saw it, I wanted to go to the comments, but it wouldn't work. When I refreshed the page, the article is gone.

You can still read it from the front page. They just seem to have erased the comment section for whatever reason. Maybe people were getting negative or they just didn't feel like moderating it. Hard to really know the motivation sometimes.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed hearing him talk about Earthbound and his playthrough of it. It's my favorite game to date, so hearing someone new discuss how weird and charming it is, if a bit old, was fun.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By gaminghooligan

That dump truck he did with the Metro 2033 author comes to mind. Also the Spookin with Scoops that featured the ghost face thing, I'm sure someone has mentioned that already. As well as the UPF where he tried to show the same game to them and Jeff completely ruins it by being hilarious. Man I'm really going to miss Patrick on this site :(

nixonsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By nixonsghost
    Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

All of these moments are pretty great, also really liked Jurassic Lark as well as him sitting in on the Pokemon Snap stream.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He kick started Jeff and Ryan's Yelp rant which was one of my favorite moments on the bombcast.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By cloudymusic
    Shinmaru007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily the whole Spelunkin' with Scoops series. I got up early every morning to watch it, and it encouraged me to give Spelunky another chance. Within the space of a couple of months I poured 100 hours into that game unlocking every secret and achievement I could. Might be the most fun I've had with a game all year.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 thatpinguino  Moderator

I enjoyed him highlighting smaller indie games and I loved the Interview Dump Truck. It was nice to hear some perspectives beyond the core crew on GB and with Patrick leaving I'm not sure who is going to take up that mantel. Every Worth Reading had a few articles that I would enjoy, but would not have found otherwise. By the end Patrick put out the most unique content of anyone on the site (I mean unique forms of content not most pieces of content). I really hope someone continues the interviews, community outreach, and indie deep dives that Patrick started because I would take one piece of unique content over 100 reviews any day.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Spookin' with Scoops has always been a favorite of mine. Especially the one where he plays all those crappy occulus games and gets super scared by them.

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xue said:

@mortuss_zero said:

@shagge said:

For humor: "Did that say Cyber Raptor?". Oh man. That could not have been more perfectly timed. Also, almost everything on Spookin', and the hot dog suit.

For seriouses: That one fan-made Ryan tribute game that Patrick played on Worth Playing. His silence completely broke me. What an incredible, raw moment.

You wouldn't happen to know which Worth Playing that was would you? I don't seem to recall that and I'd really like to see it.

Here you go! Starts at 13:23.

Fuck this one wrecked me too. I watched so many Ryan videos and this silent moment with Patrick was by far the most cathartic thing from that summer. Yeah. Patrick made sure to get all those New Balance for Ryan too.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Aside from him getting Spooked, I loved the Pokemon Snap stream.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By MocBucket62

I really enjoyed all of those Bombin' the A.M. shows with him and Alex. Seeing them talk about recent gaming news and stuff they've done was always a delight.

I also rather enjoyed seeing Patrick's excited reactions to the E3 reveals in 2014 to games like Phantom Dust and Captain Toad. And him teaming with Alex to banter with Jeff on Yoshi's Woolly World was pretty great (go to 18:00 to see)

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Christoffer

My favourite moments were all the out-of-the-field articles. I didn't know I wanted to know this, but now I do and I'm happier. For example:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-unpaid-bill-that-launched-a-thousand-starships/1100-4857/

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-conversation-with-wolfenstein-the-new-orders-jens-matthies/1100-4943/

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-tale-of-one-game/1100-4736/

I'm sorry these are all pretty recent, but there are much much more. I also love every Worth Reading.

Also this was wonderful (which kinds of gives you a hint why Patrick shouldn't work at Giant Bomb)

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/eight-women-eight-responses-and-one-dead-island-ri/1100-4527/

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By wonderva

Not to derail the thread but:

Patrick joined Kotaku

There's a good chance you're following me from Giant Bomb, too. In that case, my work is going to be a little different over here at Kotaku. You're not going to see as much video on a daily basis. In my goodbye letter from last week, I'd promised news about Worth Reading, Spookin' With Scoops, and other features I'd become known for previously. It's possible others will continue what I started at Giant Bomb, but that's also out of my hands. I had so much fun doing those features, though, and I intend to develop some new variation of them. Importantly, I'm going to keep sharing links to my favorite writing and streaming horror games. Stay tuned.

Best of luck to Patrick. Does Kotaku have a Chicago office or office closer to Patrick? felt maybe distance could have caused him to leave GB

================================================

Also, I'll add another moment that I remember from Patrick:

The TNT where Patrick and the gang played Monaco and everyone was just fooling around trolling each other. Patrick was the only person who actually did the missions. I think that summed up Patrick's impact and role on Giant Bomb pretty well lol.

Loading Video...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderva said:

Patrick joined Kotaku

Best of luck to Patrick. Does Kotaku have a Chicago office or office closer to Patrick? felt maybe distance could have caused him to leave GB

I guess that's a better fit for him, although I would have rather seen him at Polygon since I really hate the format of Kotaku. I really hope that this means the GB crew is going to find another local member to join the team... maybe one with an accent and penchant for pigeon dating sims...

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

District A in Fortune Street of course.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#71 FinalDasa  Moderator

@nixonsghost: Oh man, and here I thought flaming hotdog had my heart and you had to remind of that! Pokemon Snap forever!!

Telexen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Telexen

Favorite was the first time he got into Hell to Yama in Spelunky and died. He looked so defeated. Actually felt his pain. Here is is.

Also the (heavily edited) portion of the Bombcast that Vinny hosted that came out the day MS announced a Kinect-less Xbox One SKU.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main thing I think Patrick contributed to Giant Bomb was a different perspective. He championed independent games & diverse voices and he was the most willing to step outside of his comfort zone and give anything & anyone a chance.

As far as content goes, others have already mentioned most of it. Bombin' In The A.M. with Alex, Worth Reading & Spelunkin' were great. The extra effort he put in after we lost Ryan - well, he should have a special GB community commendation for that alone.

I will throw in one of my favourite Quick Looks that I don't think anyone has posted, yet.

Loading Video...

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@christoffer

Funny how the first comment to one of the articles you linked starts with: "Huh, thought I clicked a giantbomb link. How'd I end up on Kotaku?".

Those articles really did stick out when compared to the general theme of Giant Bomb's content. I don't find either to be superior, but I can see why Patrick may have wanted to move on.

T0FFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick's finest contribution is without a doubt the shock-game that drunk Patrick bought! :D

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By planetfunksquad
    Loading Video...

Gonna miss you Scoops

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This totally isn't a troll, but I don't think I had any. I didn't hate him like a lot of people did, though. I just wasn't into interviews and long piece articles. Not my thing. I did like his Spelunky runs.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

A lot of good moments here. I forget which bombcast it was but one time I think there was a user question about why someone would skip cut scenes in single player games. The example being used was specifically his friend playing Lara Croft: Tomb Raider I believe. Anyway what made it hilarious was how Patrick tried to spin it by saying something along the lines of "Maybe the guy just wanted to be surprised like, 'Holy shit I GOT A GRENADE LAUNCHERRRRRRRR!!!'" I remember busting a gut at that but I think overall Patrick has made his most memorable moments on video. I'm still pulling for District A...

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I just saw the Backflips 'n Bioforge videos last week, those are now some of my favorites. :)

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the time I met him at PAX and shook his hand while thanking him for getting me into 999 and Virtues Last Reward. Looking back if I was in his position I would have been worried about catching PAX plague from shaking hands with a stranger but he did it anyways with a smile. Great guy.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kiefer Sutherland trying to assassinate him during Spookin' is definitely a highlight.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still love his own play through of PT. Just going from amazed, to pants shitting, to the break when the game went in to puzzle mode and to kind of riffing on the game. I still watch that one in occasion.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still gotta be the Hunkadunked scientist. That shit cracked me right the fuck up, son.

Accolade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah, this really got me too.

@xue said:

@mortuss_zero said:

@shagge said:

For humor: "Did that say Cyber Raptor?". Oh man. That could not have been more perfectly timed. Also, almost everything on Spookin', and the hot dog suit.

For seriouses: That one fan-made Ryan tribute game that Patrick played on Worth Playing. His silence completely broke me. What an incredible, raw moment.

You wouldn't happen to know which Worth Playing that was would you? I don't seem to recall that and I'd really like to see it.

Here you go! Starts at 13:23.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for mattoncybertron
    mattoncybertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mattoncybertron
    scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick playing the blair witch game was pretty strange/hilarious. I'm hoping he still streams from tiem to time, like his dark souls play through!

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://whatisperspective.com

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By Nardak

I cant believe no one posted this Patrick moment:

Loading Video...

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick playing the blair witch game was pretty strange/hilarious. I'm hoping he still streams from tiem to time, like his dark souls play through!

I'm pretty sure he said he'll start streaming Demon's Souls later this month.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

First thing that comes to mind is him making fun of PSN being down when he first showed up in a few Happy Hours.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Gonna miss you Scoops

The best part is the people who didn't think this was just a big edited section and got angry at him for acting like a brat.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Rafaelfc

Not really a moment. But what I will miss the most about Patrick is that he would seek out different/weird games. He got to talk about Monster Hunter and Danganronpa on Bombcasts, and that was super amazing!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

His stuff with Ryan is really amazing. Loved the Jurassic Larks and the Spookin with Scoops where they did Friday the 13th.

I really miss having Patrick on the podcast. He was so willing to open himself up to new gaming experiences.

Having Dan around to fight for Nintendo is cool, but he gets a little too Jeff Jr. about some genres.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By GaspoweR

@hollitz said:

His stuff with Ryan is really amazing. Loved the Jurassic Larks and the Spookin with Scoops where they did Friday the 13th.

I really miss having Patrick on the podcast. He was so willing to open himself up to new gaming experiences.

Having Dan around to fight for Nintendo is cool, but he gets a little too Jeff Jr. about some genres.

@rafaelfc said:

Not really a moment. But what I will miss the most about Patrick is that he would seek out different/weird games. He got to talk about Monster Hunter and Danganronpa on Bombcasts, and that was super amazing!

Yeah, there'll be no one left who'll try out different genres on the site. ;_;

I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter or Fire Emblem, etc. because I've never had the chance to play them in the past but vicariously experiencing them through Patrick when he tried those games out and was genuinely having fun with them made me want to try them out, too. His perspective on having played certain games that he had dismissed in the past but eventually coming around to liking them is always a great contrast.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"GIVE ME BOTH YOUR HANDS" from the #teambrad livestream

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna miss that skinny dude and his scoops. Bye Patrick!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#99 sweep  Moderator

Watching him poop his way through the PT demo was pretty great :D

GoldenDomers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time I saw him and placing the voice with the face...or should I say hair!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.