Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Australia 2013

Concept »

The first-ever PAX outside the United States took place in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on July 19-21, 2013 at the Melbourne Showgrounds.

Melbourne in July

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ninnanuam

Ive never been to melbourne in winter I usually go one or twice a year in summer/autumn and I just realised Melbourne is going to be cold as ice in the middle of July, and probably rainy as fuck.

I know the event is at the Showgrounds, Ive never been to the melbourne showgrounds, I assume its many small buildings and there will be lots of running between said buildings getting rained on. Can any locals allay my fears of being outside alot or give me an idea how many layers, water proof or otherwise ill need to pack? will i need to pay extra for check in flights due to a need to buy and pack rain coats?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

You're going to need at least one waterproof jacket with a hood. It will rain but its not (usually) torrential or anything like that. Apart from that just warm clothes? It wont snow or anything like that. It will probably be between like 10-15 degrees during the day, less at night obviously although the wind chill can be a bitch. As with the show grounds, there is one really massive space that I think the main show floor will be in so that's all under one roof, not sure about any panels etc tho. I am so sad I'm not going, this is the first year I haven't lived in Melbourne or at least Victoria and I get back from Europe the day the thing starts. Praying that the GB crew come back to it in future years.

Any more Melbourne questions let me know.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Melbourne in July is going to be cold and windy as fuck. However, it is Melbourne and I'm sure you've heard, we have the weirdest weather here. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a nice 28C sunny day in July.

Regarding the Showgrounds, the Showgrounds is a large, large open area. It has a few sheds and a few large exhibition centres that are under a roof. I don't know how PAX is going to make it work outside, unless it's all going to be inside.

Don't worry about buying a check-in luggage flight - my bet is its all going to be under the roofs, and even if it's not (which I HIGHLY doubt - since it is all games and technology and hence electricity) then you can easily buy a cheap jacket.

Personally, I'll be rocking my GB hoodie - aw yeah..

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm so damn jealous right now.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.