Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2014

Concept »

The fifth annual PAX East took place April 11-13, 2014 at the Boston Exhibition & Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

GB Family and Friends PAX Button eSports - CHANGE OF PLANS

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By bacongames

CHANGE OF PLANS, I REPEAT CHANGE OF PLANS. YO THIS IS HOW THIS GOES WHEN YOU WORK IN THE LANG ZONE.

As was so super professionally announced on Super Professional Fridays courtesy of Dave Lang, PAX East 2014 will host the sequel to last year's Giant Bomb family and friend button shenanigans. HOWEVER SOME OF THOSE DETAILS ARE RIGHT AND SOME ARE NOT. Please read below for what the for real plan is this time. The biggest deal is, the community now gets buttons, but there are still rules.

Here's the rundown:

1. Buttons will be held at the Iron Galaxy booth (#999) and the No Goblin booth (#1045).
    2. Over the course of two days, devs, friends of the site, fans and community members can come up to either booth and ask for one, and I repeat, ONE, button from the assortment they will be presented with.
    3. That's all anyone needs to know right now. I will hint that we've kept the spirit of the original setup on our end so to speak.
    4. This is (still) quite possibly the dumbest thing I've had the pleasure making a real thing.

(To give some background, last year I commissioned some custom buttons made of various Giant Bomb staff and friends of the site. I trusted Dave Lang (interpret that how you will) with the task of distributing them as he saw fit at PAX Prime. This was my way of "being at the show" as I'm usually absent from Prime. A bootstrap grab bag operation later, it was a huge success which naturally means I couldn't not do something again this year.)

So this means that if you want a GB family and friend button, come on down and ask for it by name!

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

"The *meat* of it"

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By rjaylee

This is like Steam trading cards but instead of playing video games on Steam, I'm willfully subjecting myself to the Lang Zone.

FUCK VIDEO GAMES FOREVER

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

No clue if I clearly understand all this, but I'm ok with that. Another reason to be hype for PAX.

GET BOPPED

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No clue if I clearly understand all this, but I'm ok with that. Another reason to be hype for PAX.

GET BOPPED

I'll take this as a sign that we're doing something right. Who knows when this all is actually supposed to happen. Oh god this is all actually going to happen what have I done this is all my fault.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

@bacongames: I'll take it you just want me to bother Dave Lang at his booth all weekend long about buttons.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bacongames

@finaldasa said:

@bacongames: I'll take it you just want me to bother Dave Lang at his booth all weekend long about buttons.

As it turns out, now you can! You just won't be getting more than one if you ask for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

so how does one get chosen to participate?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bacongames

@billymagnum: Well, "participants" are no longer a relevant concept anyone needs to worry about. All anyone needs to know is, go up and ask for a button!

endreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, does this mean that the associated GB staff and friends of the site will be wondering around with pins and it's our jobs to convince them to give us said pins by kindess/bribery?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bacongames

@endreo said:

So, does this mean that the associated GB staff and friends of the site will be wondering around with pins and it's our jobs to convince them to give us said pins by kindess/bribery?

Not as much but now you'll be going to those booths and ask for one button.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So this has nothing at all to do with the community?

Ok.

Yes, I'm an ass.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann said:

So this has nothing at all to do with the community?

Ok.

Yes, I'm an ass.

NOW IT WILL. SPIN UP THE CAFFEINE MACHINE.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FinalDasa  Moderator

Rules change.

I want my button.

plato84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This makes me jealous, why can't PAXAus have something like this...

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this was pretty funny. i went to dave lang's booth and he was just sitting there in a blob being a monster while i asked the booth lady about them. they were apparently all gone, so we headed over to the no goblin booth were it was a different story. as we walked up theres vinny brad and alex hanging out checking out Roundabout. it was that situation where we definetly wanted to say hey but at the same time we didnt want to bother them so we let them do their thing and asked about the buttons. luckily they still had some! i took a cowboy jeff, my gf took the second to last vinny, and my friend took a drake crotch. by the time we got more swag from them and turned around, the guys had already disappeared. we did not see another GB person until panel time which turned out to be a better time to interact with them anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.