Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2014

Concept »

The fifth annual PAX East took place April 11-13, 2014 at the Boston Exhibition & Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Long distance travel tips?

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everybody!

So I was lucky enough to get passes for all 3 days of PAX, and I was able to grab a room fairly close to the convention center. With those two necessities out of the way that only leaves one thing left to do: get to Boston.

Instead of getting there the easy way and flying to Boston, I am going to be driving there all the way from San Antonio, Texas...alone. The farthest I have ever driven on my own is to Houston, Texas which is a 3.5 - 4 hour drive, depending on traffic.

I currently work overnight at my local grocery store, so I intend to travel at night. There are a few benefits to doing this, mainly there will be significantly less traffic, cutting my travel time by a bit, and it will be something my internal clock is used to. From my planning, I have planned out a 3 day trip basically driving 12 hours/~680 miles a day, which will hopefully land me in my hotel in Boston on Thursday the 10th.

So here are my thoughts/questions.

Does anyone have any travel tips for me? (food, motels, driving tips etc.)

What's the farthest you have driven? anyone drive 2000+ miles?

Does anyone have any travel stories to tell? I would love to here em.

This is my first time going to PAX, and I would like to extend a big thanks to Marino for his PAX guide, which helps a first timer like me a whole lot. Any tips for a first time solo PAX goer, that he may not have covered, would be greatly awesome.

Thanks again guys, I am super stoked for the show, and I hope to see some of y'all there!

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JJBSterling

I was not the driver, but my father and I drove from Texas (can't remember where specifically) back up to Calgary in Canada in a food truck we bought down there. Quite the experience with around 3,000 kilometers in the summer with no A/C. Make sure to have some sort of music or podcasts to listen to, it'll be your entertainment and keep you sane (the bombcast kept me alive). Keep a large bottle of water with you, and maybe some snacks that you can reach for that won't distract you from the road. Driving alone sounds rough though, I definitely have no experience driving alone for that long so I can't help you there.

I can't speak to driving at night, as driving tired is something I wouldn't recommend. But it sounds like you're comfortable with it, so the more power to you.

I'm not a ton of help outside of the obvious stuff it seems. Drive safe and I hope to see you at the show in one piece!

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcasts are a godsend!

When driving long distances, I tend to stop every 2 hours or so to stretch my legs. I cannot stress this enough, NEVER DRIVE WHEN YOU ARE TIRED! If you feel yourself slipping, just stop. A 30 minute break just walking around will get the blood flowing again.

But seriously, you can get yourself or someone else seriously hurt if you fall asleep at the wheel no matter where you are.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjbsterling: wow that sounds totally crazy, really in a food truck? XD Thanks duder!

@voxus: Totally, I dont plan on pushing myself, and will definitely stop whenever i feel weary.

Podcasts will probably be my main entertainment, but I also plan on listening to some audiobooks on during the trip, currently listening to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Rent a car for the peace of mind. If something happens to it when you're on the road or you are involved in an accident, the car can be quickly replaced by the rental provider. If you take your own car and it breaks down or gets in a wreck, you could be in a very difficult position and possibly out in the middle of nowhere as well.

Week-long rental deals on economy cars are inexpensive, and depending on the vehicle you planned on driving you could make up 100% of the cost in fuel savings anyway. Even if the rental car is only 5mpg more efficient than your own vehicle, at 4000 miles driven and $4 per gallon that would be $160 in fuel saved. Get a hybrid and pocket all the extra money.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: man as much as i would love to do that, I am not 25 years old, which is, as i understand, how old you have to be to rent a car. At least to rent a car without taking serious extra charges.

That being said, I have been getting my car ready for the trip for the past few months. I invested quite a bit of money in the car, and it is good functioning order, and I will getting an oil change this weekend. I'm not too worried about the car, I'm mostly worried about my sanity :P

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@meatsofevil: Fair enough...do you have roadside assistance, like AAA or something? Also for the future, there are plenty of rental car companies that will rent to under-25's, they just charge a little bit more. Enterprise comes to mind as the big one who definitely does.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: my roadside assistance consists of two concerned parents, that would kill to get to me if i got in trouble XD other than that, no. I never thought of roadside assistance, any thoughts on it? I honestly don't know much of anything about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.