Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2015

Concept »

The sixth annual PAX East took place March 6-8, 2015 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Thoughts on Skipping the GB PAX Panel

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is my third year at PAX and I lined up hours and hours ahead of time to get into the GB panel the previous two years. I enjoyed meeting people and playing Cards Against Humanity and Divekick in line. But I could have done a larger number of things (other panels or parties and meetups) if I didn't spend several hours in line. I am also growing a little tired of the enforcers being unable to handle the line. This is especially true of last year when I was told I was among the first handful of people to show up 3 1/2 hours early in what was being treated as the correct GB waiting area, only to then scrambled to the other side of the hallway where another enforcer had started what apparently became the real line. I showed up 3 1/2 hours early to end up in the back half of the room...

Since the panel is archived I can attend others that won't be available online after PAX or just do other things going on that don't involve the hassle of the line. Have others done this? Have you regretted not going to the panel in person as you watched the archive on the site? I'm still torn about what to do.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thatpinguino  Staff

This is my first Pax East and I don't think I'm going to go to the panel for the very reasons you described. The GB panel is archived and there are other panels that occur in the second half of day 1 that I want to see and participate in. As cool as meeting other duders would be, everything else can be viewed later.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

That fucking sucks.

If you think your time is better spent elsewhere go for it. You can always watch the panel when it is archived.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I am skipping the GB panel to go to a Guild Wars 2 thing, and also because of the reasons you mentioned. It is also my 3rd PAX East and the lines are starting to wear on me. My advice is to do something elsewhere, as it sounds like you are in the same mindset as me.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paul_tillich: Well from the sounds of it you have been to a panel and done it, all the true novelty of being so die hard has worn off, so unless you plan to try and make some memorable moments or be part of them E.G Breast milk, twerk contests. Your time may be more worthwhile spent elsewhere that does not get archived, be is a panel, be it a indie game with no que and is fun or even just making memories with friends.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh shit, guys, what if nobody goes to the GB panel this year? what if the guys have to do a panel ALL TO THEMSELVES?

how weird and surreal would that be?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

@thatpinguino: It's worth going to even if you have to wait. Granted I got a close seat thanks to some friends but seeing all the crazy happen in person is worth it imo. A lot of PAX is a give and take when it comes to the schedule and you'll have to make not so fun decisions about which panel, party, meetup, and ect.

My advice would be to try and plan stuff out the best you can. Prioritize events you want to go to because you can't see everything. Have fun, do what you can, and remember sleep is for the dead, the weak, and everyone not going to PAX.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@finaldasa: Yeah it is ether the GB panel or the Isometric panel and the review panel Jeff is on. I've watched all of the GB panel archives and I kinda know that they are zany fun that is cool to see, but I think the Isometric panel might be really special this year. Also I think listening to Jeff talk about the state of reviews is more my speed than the usual bombcast stuff at this point.

I feel bad about having to miss the fake glass and super kicks, but I think I'm gonna have to.

Do the other GB adjacent panels fill up like the main GB panel? Like will I have to get to the dad panel 2 hours early?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

@thatpinguino: You should get to any panel at least somewhat early (I always tried for about 30 minutes) but if I remember right the Production panel at least years PAX East didn't fill all the way up. Most lines don't even form until the panel before it has started, so no line should require a lengthy wait time unless it is something as big as a GB panel.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought the ground rule at PAX for panels (at least in the years i went) was to not arrive until an hour before?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm going to Pax East, but not to the GB panel. Granted, that has more to do with my not being able to get to Pax until Saturday, but I digress. Good points nonetheless!

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I've been to 2 PAX Easts and never minded the line for the GB panel. Got to meet some cool people, play some vita, get hyped.

But then again I came all the way from Australia, so waiting a little longer didn't seem to me matter to me.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm already hiding in a trash can outside of the theatre

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unclebenny: that is kaufmanesque in the most kafkaesque was possible.

Maybe also lovecraftian tbh...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.