Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) took place at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington from September 3-5.

My PAX 2010 video blog-apalooza

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By vidiot

No Caption Provided

For the last two day's I've been taking all the video-footage I took at PAX, and have been trying to compile it into...something. The end result is this

I've worked heavily in AfterEffect before, but never something this big. (Let alone uploading anything to Youtube :P) Going back and compiling what video I would use, and not use, I was surprised at how much random video I took. So I decided to compile a video that focuses more on the event itself, and while they're are lots of shaky-cam footage of games being played, looking back at this I think the best parts are truly the conversations I had, and the giant set-pieces that acted as displays. 

Seriously, I've heard some of them were E3 booths but that doesn't stop them from being freaking amazing. 

So without further ado: 

Part 1

Highlights

• A genuine reaction to the Fallout: New Vegas booth.
    • Old games. Plus Panzer Dragoon Saga new is only selling at $500.
    • Footage from the surprisingly large Square booth.
    • Really freaking rad Mother 3 figurines, plus I talk to the awesome artist Camille who made them. "SCULPEY 3?!!!!"
    • Vidiot makes ball jokes with the publishers of The Ball

Part 2

Highlights

• Epic Mickey booth is epic
    • Nintendo games
    • "Jesus christ that's a lot of computers" <-Understatement of the freaking year. Way to go me.
    • A on-rails FPS where you shoot via playing a rockband drum-set.
    • A conversation about the how certain female Spartans look. :P
    • COSPLAY
    • Footage of people playing Kinect. 
    • Footage of people playing motion controlled fighting game... ... ... -_-
    • At one point I realized that simply taking video footage of people playing Kinect games was far more interesting than the actual games.
    • I do not know who you are, large man who danced near the end of this video. You are my hero.
    • AgentJ and Hailinel. Re-watching the video I realized I actually misspelled Hailinel's name. I would re-render this, but I've re-rendered this video like 12 times. :P My apologies, we should all hang-out again some time. Beers on me.
    • I accept Duke Nukem Forever exists. 
    • One last funny thing after the credits.

PAX was over-whelming. 
    I bought a Sega Saturn. For reasons I'm still trying to understand. ( Shining The Holy Ark is fun though :P) I went all three days, and by the end of the second day my legs felt like they were screaming at me. This year PAX pretty much took over the entire convention center area of Seattle, the main-stage was Benaroya Hall, a few blocks away but away nonetheless. You add 3-4 floors of walking in the convention center and you yourself a pretty elaborate set-up that requires a little endurance. 

What I'm trying to say is that I need to work-out some more.

...There were so many different moments this year that stood out. Whether it was one the lone Japanese producer for FFXIV who appeared on the main-stage, said a single sentence thanking us for coming, then left. (*Crowd began laughing*) Or the conversation with the amazing Eric Maruscak, who drew his annual chalk drawing that this year for Metroid Other M. He admitted that Nintendo, for better-or-worse, was very involved over how that piece of art looked. That makes sense, but I was perhaps most surprised that they actually made him add the ESRB logo. The logo appeared in his last work for Bioshock in the previous PAX, but I completely, and naively, didn't even consider that there were guys in suit's concerned about that. The moments of meeting genuinely amazing people was probably my favorite part of this convention aside from the games.  

Hat also goes off to the cosplayers this year. Damn dudes.

So I hope everyone enjoys the video. It was actually a ton of fun to make. It also has music from LCD Soundsystem, which means it's a capital crime you are not watching it now.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vidiot

No Caption Provided

For the last two day's I've been taking all the video-footage I took at PAX, and have been trying to compile it into...something. The end result is this

I've worked heavily in AfterEffect before, but never something this big. (Let alone uploading anything to Youtube :P) Going back and compiling what video I would use, and not use, I was surprised at how much random video I took. So I decided to compile a video that focuses more on the event itself, and while they're are lots of shaky-cam footage of games being played, looking back at this I think the best parts are truly the conversations I had, and the giant set-pieces that acted as displays. 

Seriously, I've heard some of them were E3 booths but that doesn't stop them from being freaking amazing. 

So without further ado: 

Part 1

Highlights

• A genuine reaction to the Fallout: New Vegas booth.
    • Old games. Plus Panzer Dragoon Saga new is only selling at $500.
    • Footage from the surprisingly large Square booth.
    • Really freaking rad Mother 3 figurines, plus I talk to the awesome artist Camille who made them. "SCULPEY 3?!!!!"
    • Vidiot makes ball jokes with the publishers of The Ball

Part 2

Highlights

• Epic Mickey booth is epic
    • Nintendo games
    • "Jesus christ that's a lot of computers" <-Understatement of the freaking year. Way to go me.
    • A on-rails FPS where you shoot via playing a rockband drum-set.
    • A conversation about the how certain female Spartans look. :P
    • COSPLAY
    • Footage of people playing Kinect. 
    • Footage of people playing motion controlled fighting game... ... ... -_-
    • At one point I realized that simply taking video footage of people playing Kinect games was far more interesting than the actual games.
    • I do not know who you are, large man who danced near the end of this video. You are my hero.
    • AgentJ and Hailinel. Re-watching the video I realized I actually misspelled Hailinel's name. I would re-render this, but I've re-rendered this video like 12 times. :P My apologies, we should all hang-out again some time. Beers on me.
    • I accept Duke Nukem Forever exists. 
    • One last funny thing after the credits.

PAX was over-whelming. 
    I bought a Sega Saturn. For reasons I'm still trying to understand. ( Shining The Holy Ark is fun though :P) I went all three days, and by the end of the second day my legs felt like they were screaming at me. This year PAX pretty much took over the entire convention center area of Seattle, the main-stage was Benaroya Hall, a few blocks away but away nonetheless. You add 3-4 floors of walking in the convention center and you yourself a pretty elaborate set-up that requires a little endurance. 

What I'm trying to say is that I need to work-out some more.

...There were so many different moments this year that stood out. Whether it was one the lone Japanese producer for FFXIV who appeared on the main-stage, said a single sentence thanking us for coming, then left. (*Crowd began laughing*) Or the conversation with the amazing Eric Maruscak, who drew his annual chalk drawing that this year for Metroid Other M. He admitted that Nintendo, for better-or-worse, was very involved over how that piece of art looked. That makes sense, but I was perhaps most surprised that they actually made him add the ESRB logo. The logo appeared in his last work for Bioshock in the previous PAX, but I completely, and naively, didn't even consider that there were guys in suit's concerned about that. The moments of meeting genuinely amazing people was probably my favorite part of this convention aside from the games.  

Hat also goes off to the cosplayers this year. Damn dudes.

So I hope everyone enjoys the video. It was actually a ton of fun to make. It also has music from LCD Soundsystem, which means it's a capital crime you are not watching it now.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

1st!

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By commandercup

I got a minute and 30 seconds into the first video and I'm enjoying it, but I just got Heavy Rain in the mail and it just finished updating, so I'll be finishing these videos later! Thanks for uploading them though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

You have video of actual GB users in the wild? I must see this! I always did want to see Halinel fight for a mate, even if I know that the video has no instance of him spreading his plumage to appear larger.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vidiot
    @Video_Game_King: It's terrifying how relatively normal we all are. 
    @commandercup: They had Heavy Rain move edition on display. Sadly I didn't get a change to try it out. 
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @vidiot: 

Really? Seems I have to step up my game, then. To the wherever-the-hell-they-sell-Organization-XIII-hoodies!
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By commandercup

Finally finished the video(s?) and I thought it was epic. Makes me want to fly over to the West Coast and check out some of these gaming conventions myself. Kung Fu Live looks horribly epic.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tiwi

Awesome vid. I really can't say anything else. that was good coverage of ce PAX.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By rargy

Nice job!  Those few seconds of Mortal Kombat made me realize i need that game now.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Great videos, Epic Mickey booth looked awesome. I'm getting a little hyped about that game. I don't believe it will be genre defining, just a great new title. We'll see.

I've seen a picture of AgentJ before, but that's the first time I've seen Hailinel. He looks a little like Lies. I'm glad that Video_Game_King wasn't there. I heard he has three noses for snorting moon dust. I also see that you didn't turn the camera on yourself. Three people I look up to on Giant Bomb together at once, surprised a black hole didn't open up.

Here's a picture of Lies I found. He's on the right of course. He looks a little like Hailinel. Take it easy and thanks for posting.

No Caption Provided
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Claude: 

Three noses? Where the hell did you get that? Did all that oxygen rush to your head and give you a stroke?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @Claude:   Three noses? Where the hell did you get that? Did all that oxygen rush to your head and give you a stroke? "
    I made it up. But now that it's written... it's fact.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Claude: 

Not really. Biologically us Lunarians are pretty similar to humans, but with key differences. For example, during reproduction, women store semen in their vaginal pouch, releasing it at a later time to make sure that the child is born at the best time of year, not unlike the octopus. Also, how am I supposed to be sure that you humans don't have tails that you shed in the winter so that you can more efficiently run from your penguin predators?
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vidiot
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @Claude:   Not really. Biologically us Lunarians are pretty similar to humans, but with key differences. For example, during reproduction, women store semen in their vaginal pouch, releasing it at a later time to make sure that the child is born at the best time of year, not unlike the octopus. Also, how am I supposed to be sure that you humans don't have tails that you shed in the winter so that you can more efficiently run from your penguin predators? "
    If that's how those things reproduce I'm happy they were all wiped out and had to live on the f-ing moon. 

I misspelled "Opportunity" at the end of the video. :/

There's a super-secret ending for those who stick with the final moments after the credits on the second vid.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @vidiot: 

What are you talking about? We're not octopi. Again, very human-esque, but some differences. We can see and hear a slightly wider range of stuff, and we only have to sleep once a month, usually for a few days. I understand that your women have a very similar function.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Red12b
    @vidiot said:
    " @Video_Game_King: It's terrifying how relatively normal we all are. 
    @commandercup: They had Heavy Rain move edition on display. Sadly I didn't get a change to try it out.  "
    Nah, from the various show your face threads that have shown up, most of the GB users are just like that, normal kinda good looking people,  

i was surprised,  

I hope that doesn't offend anyone but, yeah. 
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Red12b said:
    most of the GB users are just like that, normal kinda good looking people
    I feel that seeing me in public would break that trend :P.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

My name is misspelled, and I'm hidden in the shadows by terrible lighting.  I can't believe my voice sounds like that, though. :P

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vidiot
    @Hailinel: Probably going to re-render the entire second video. That's not the only misspelling I saw. 
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vidiot
    @Hailinel: Re-rendered and re-uploaded video to fix misspelling. Now...what do you say?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @vidiot said:
    " @Hailinel: Re-rendered and re-uploaded video to fix misspelling. Now...what do you say? "
    I say I still can't believe my voice sounds like that. :P  Awesome footage, though.  Go, dancing large man, go.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ

See, it takes a bunch of non-socially awkward FREAKS to meet each other at a CONVENTION. The remarkable thing is that three of them happened to go. 
    I find it hilarious that I was there for probably half of that footage.  

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Symphony

Good stuff, Vid. :)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Daveyo520

Ball jokes...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.