Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2011

Concept »

The eighth annual Penny Arcade Expo took place from August 26-28, 2011 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

PAX Prime 2011: Vocal Recap of PAX and the Games We Saw

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By ahgunsillyo

PAX was a really great time once again this year in Seattle, as I got to see and play a whole slew of big-name titles for which I am already very excited, as well as some new indie titles I learned about for the first time.  Not only that, but I was incredibly lucky enough to meet a number of people in the industry whom I admire very much, including the Supergiant team, Ken Levine, Randy Pitchford, and of course, the Giant Bomb crew.  All in all, I had a fantastic time.   

This year, my good friend Clint (his Giant Bomb user page is linked right there) and I had the odd idea of recording ourselves talking about PAX and the games we saw there this year.  We used Audioboo, which limits each recording to 5 minutes, so we dedicated 5 minutes to each game.  We failed at wrapping up each segment as the 5 minute mark drew near, so we often get cut off at the end of each segment before saying all that we wanted to say about the game.  

Thanks so much for those of you who actually feel like listening to these, and I'm sorry if my voice sucks; it's my first time doing these weird impromptu recordings.  And we'll probably do more of these sometime; Clint's iPhone overheated before we could finish talking about the games we had seen at that point, and we saw more games after we recorded these.

Intro (PAX in general)

The PAX 10 (2011 Edition)

Word Fighter

Antichamber

OnLive

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario Kart 7

Luigi's Mansion 2

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

BattleBlock Theater

Guild Wars 2            

TrackMania 2: Canyon

Monaco

Resident Evil: Revelations

Rayman: Origins

Qube

Kirby Mass Attack

Clint named it wrong, so it actually is about Kirby Mass Attack, not Kirby Canvas Curse. 
    ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahgunsillyo

PAX was a really great time once again this year in Seattle, as I got to see and play a whole slew of big-name titles for which I am already very excited, as well as some new indie titles I learned about for the first time.  Not only that, but I was incredibly lucky enough to meet a number of people in the industry whom I admire very much, including the Supergiant team, Ken Levine, Randy Pitchford, and of course, the Giant Bomb crew.  All in all, I had a fantastic time.   

This year, my good friend Clint (his Giant Bomb user page is linked right there) and I had the odd idea of recording ourselves talking about PAX and the games we saw there this year.  We used Audioboo, which limits each recording to 5 minutes, so we dedicated 5 minutes to each game.  We failed at wrapping up each segment as the 5 minute mark drew near, so we often get cut off at the end of each segment before saying all that we wanted to say about the game.  

Thanks so much for those of you who actually feel like listening to these, and I'm sorry if my voice sucks; it's my first time doing these weird impromptu recordings.  And we'll probably do more of these sometime; Clint's iPhone overheated before we could finish talking about the games we had seen at that point, and we saw more games after we recorded these.

Intro (PAX in general)

The PAX 10 (2011 Edition)

Word Fighter

Antichamber

OnLive

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario Kart 7

Luigi's Mansion 2

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

BattleBlock Theater

Guild Wars 2            

TrackMania 2: Canyon

Monaco

Resident Evil: Revelations

Rayman: Origins

Qube

Kirby Mass Attack

Clint named it wrong, so it actually is about Kirby Mass Attack, not Kirby Canvas Curse. 
    Demruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Demruth

Hey guys. Just a quick point about the screen tearing that you mentioned. That was only because it was plugged into the huge screen next to it so that others could see it being played, as it was updating the refresh rate for that TV rather than for the laptop screen. If the colours themselves were giving you a headache, I'm aware that that happens for some people, and there are already design solutions being implemented that also help get around that. It's just not in the current build yet.

Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Clint

@Demruth: Good to know. I generally take screen tearing as a "it'll be resolved before launch" sort of thing. Thanks for listening to the recap! I had more to say but 5 minutes per game was our self- (and Audioboo-) imposed limit.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahgunsillyo
    @Demruth: It's very good to know that the screen tearing isn't a usual occurrence in the game and that you're trying to accommodate for players with different tolerances of bright colors.   

And I'm sorry if I seemed to emphasize those technical non-issues too much or place too much blame on them; I'd actually like to think that the headache I had after playing your game was mostly attributed to the unexpected level of strain that the puzzles placed on my brain, a level which, admittedly, is not usually reached when I play video games.   Additionally, that kind of heavy thinking can sometimes make me do things like not blink or breathe normally, which can also help lead to headaches.  That's really not a bad thing; I fully appreciated the mental challenges that were presented in your game. 

Thank you so much for listening.  Demoing your game was truly one of the most fascinating experiences I had at PAX this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.