Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX West 2017

Concept »

The fourteenth PAX West took place September 1-4, 2017 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

PAX Guide 2017: West Edition

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

In ancient times (2011), after just four PAXs, I began giving advice to help people get the most they possible could out of their own PAX adventure. Now I'm about to go to my nineteenth PAX (third this year). With the help of countless duders over the years, we've built what I think is a pretty great strategy guide. Whether you're a PAX rookie or a seasoned vet, this guide is for you. As the last few versions have been, this one is mostly unchanged aside from some minor updates and of course the info specific to 2017. If you have something to add or a question, please let us know.

Seattle

Do some touristy shit.
    Do some touristy shit.

The Washington State Convention Center is a little old and a little small, but it is in a perfect location. Anything you could possibly want to see or do in Seattle is within walking distance (or maybe a short monorail ride). From the moment you get off your plane at SeaTac, you can walk to the Lightrail, pay less than $5, and ride all the way into downtown. At that point, you’re close to all the major hotels, the Pike Place Market, dozens of great places to eat, an arcade, a 5-minute monorail to the Seattle Center (Space Needleand pop culture museum), and, of course, the convention center.

Giant Bomb @ PAX

No Caption Provided

You might spot a Giant Bomb staff member randomly on the show floor (just don't bother them if they're shooting something), but your best bet is one of these panels.

For popular panels, you're going to need to line up early if want a good seat. As a general rule, I'd suggest going to most panels an hour early. For the super popular ones, there's a bit of loitering skill involved. Enforcers will not allow you to line up until the line for the previous panel goes inside, so...do what you need to do to get in the actual line as soon as that happens.

Note: The Main Theatre is at Benaroya Hall, which is a symphony hall located several blocks away from the convention center. It's located at the corner of Union & 3rd. Make sure you give yourself enough time to walk down there.

When/WhereWhatWhoStream
    • Friday
    • 2:00-3:00 PM
    • Sasquatch

The (Personal) History of Video Games

No

• Friday
    • 4:30-5:30 PM
    • Sphinx

So, Does the Author's Intent Matter in Video Games?

• Alex Zandra
    • Katherine Cross
    • Samantha Kalman

No

• Friday
    • 8:30-9:30 PM
    • Hydra
    The Improvised PostmortemPAX2
    • Saturday
    • 6:00-7:00 PM
    • Sphinx
    Waypoint Radio: Live!No
    • Saturday
    • 7:30-8:30 PM
    • Sphinx
    Let's Rank It!No
    • Sunday
    • 10:00-11:30 AM
    • Wyvern
    PAX RUMBLE V: The V Stands for Very Bad Video Game WrestlingPAX3
    • Sunday
    • 12:00-2:00 PM
    • Main
    Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of The Witcher
    • Danny O'Dwyer
    PAX
    • Sunday
    • 2:30-3:30 PM
    • Hydra
    404ing It: Breaking (Down) the InternetPAX2
    • Sunday
    • 8:00-10:00 PM
    • Sasquatch
    Come See Giant Bomb!No

The Enforcers

The Parlor Live (the comedy club CBSi rented out) shut down a couple weeks after this happened in 2015. Coincidence?
    The Parlor Live (the comedy club CBSi rented out) shut down a couple weeks after this happened in 2015. Coincidence?

Enforcers are a legion of volunteers that make PAX run efficiently. It would be a hot mess without them. In the old days, they would don the black. But, now that there are multiple versions of PAX, Prime Enforcers are coated in blue. If you need help with anything, just look for one of them. They’re never too far away. And if they ask you nicely to do something (like move out of an aisle/walkway), please do so.

#PAX

Take some time to explore the city whether you have a chocobo Uber or not.
    Take some time to explore the city whether you have a chocobo Uber or not.

Even if you don’t normally use Twitter, you should sign up just to follow these accounts while you’re at PAX. It’s the best and easiest way to get up-to-the-minute updates on what’s going on.

• @official_pax - The important stuff.
    • @pax_lines - Updates on theatre/panel lines and when they get capped.
    • @paxparties - An unofficial feed for the unofficial parties going on all weekend.

The Packing List

Here's what you need to bring with you especially if you're coming in from out of town.

Money

No Caption Provided

Most places (including vendors in the expo hall) will take credit/debit cards, but it’s probably a good idea to carry a little cash just in case. And if you need to hit an ATM, do it early in the day as they sometimes run out of money later on.

Backpack

No Caption Provided

Whatever your style of choice is, bring one. Don’t rely on getting a free bag at the show. They’re often cumbersome and there’s no guarantee you’ll find one anyway. Trust me…carrying a bunch of random stuff you pick up throughout the day is going to suck without a backpack. If it has weight reduction effects, all the better.

Phone & Charger

No Caption Provided

Duh. You need your phone. But don’t make a rookie mistake and forget your charger and/or wall plug. Pro Tip: Turn your brightness down as far as you can tolerate. Keeping up with your friends at night through texts and/or Twitter is gonna be tough if your phone dies by 2 PM.

Battery Pack

No Caption Provided

Strongly consider buying an external USB battery pack. It’s been a life saver for me the last few years. Worth every penny. Plus, if you get an adapter, it'll keep your 3DS and/or Vita truckin' too.

Portable Gaming

No Caption Provided

You will undoubtedly find some downtime (like waiting in line), and you will never be in a better place for local multiplayer. So, whether you're taking your Nintendo Switch out for an inaugural test run or getting one last run at StreetPassing, bring it with you.

Hand Sanitizer

No Caption Provided

There will be dispensers scattered around the buildings, but do yourself a favor and toss a little bottle in your bag and use it every time you play something.

Poster Tube

No Caption Provided

If you can fit it in your luggage, this is a veteran move. You might get a cool poster at PAX. You might even get it signed by Todd Howard. Make sure you have a way to get it home without crushing it.

Trash Bag

No Caption Provided

Yep. A trash bag. Just throw it in your luggage. Using it for dirty clothes will keep your stank-ass, sweaty socks off of the cool stuff you bring back on the way home.

The calm before the storm.
    The calm before the storm.

The Daily List

Here's a few things that you should do every day. Every. Day.

Shower/Deodorant

No Caption Provided

For the love of Bristlebane, please! It’s not difficult. You're probably paying an arm and a leg for that hotel room you got, so use those amenities.

Eat/Drink

No Caption Provided

Walking around for eighteen hours a day for four days requires fuel. It may sound crazy now, but you might actually forget to eat and stay hydrated. There’s a ton of awesome places to grab food in downtown Seattle. Try to eat two actual meals a day and carry some snacks for in-between. Alternatively, you could attempt to live on doughnuts for four days. Just don’t get trapped by that Subway on the 4th floor. You’re better than that.

Sleep

No Caption Provided

Time is precious at PAX, but you can’t go non-stop for 100+ hours. Try to get at least 5 or 6 hours a night.

Get Out

No Caption Provided

Don’t spend all of your time in the convention center. Get out of there once in a while, get some air, grab some real food, see some of the city, etc.

Be Yourself

No Caption Provided

There’s a special vibe that envelops PAX. If you’ve ever felt weird or strange about the nerdy things you love, know that you’ll never be in a place with more people that enjoy the same things that you do than you ever will be. So, be yourself. Talk to random people in lines. You’re going to have a blast. Welcome home.

Seattle has many great places to eat.
    Seattle has many great places to eat.

The To-Do List

Now that you've got a checklist of what to bring and some daily advice, here's some tips on how to prepare.

Download Guidebook

No Caption Provided

Guidebook is the best, easiest way to keep up with all the official PAX info (schedule, maps, announcements, etc.) Plus, Dave & Coonce work there now, so you know it’s gotta be awesome.

Gameplan

No Caption Provided

The schedule is out now, so start making a list right now of the panels you may want to see and any potential games you want to play. Compare your list with your friends and get a rough idea of what you want to see and do. Inevitably, you’re going to have make some tough decisions as multiple things you’re interested in will overlap. Accept the fact now that you can’t see/do everything, but if you go in there with no plan at all, you’re going to be overwhelmed.

Plan a Backup

No Caption Provided

Shit happens. Panels get full faster than you thought. Lines get too long to be worth it. The game you wanted to play might actually just be a presentation. Try to have a backup whenever you can. If all else fails, just go spend some more time in…

Indie Megabooth

No Caption Provided

Arguably the best part of PAX is the slew of indie games available. And, over the last few years, the Indie Megabooth has established itself as a primary feature of PAX. It houses over seventy games from nearly as many developers and you could spend hours there. It’s also great because you can play a bunch of games without waiting too long. If you see an open station, play it! I don’t care what it is.

Escape the Expo

No Caption Provided

The expo hall is an amazing spectacle. No doubt about it. But, it's also a trap. Get the hell out of there and do some other stuff once in a while. PAX has so much to offer aside from the expo hall and you shouldn’t miss it. Head upstairs to the Classic Console and Console Freeplay rooms. Hunt down the Classic Arcade. Head down the street to the Tabletop arenas. You get the point. Go do stuff.

The Indie Megabooth is always a good time!
    The Indie Megabooth is always a good time!

The To-Don’t List

A couple little words of warning from a PAX veteran. You'll thank me later.

SWAG

No Caption Provided

We all love free stuff, but seriously…don’t be that guy. Don’t wait in line for 45 minutes to play a game you don’t care about just to get a shirt. And please don’t loiter around a headphone booth hoping to catch an inflatable hat. You will get free stuff without trying too hard, so don’t let SWAG ruin your PAX.

Lines

No Caption Provided

Okay, lines are unavoidable. If you want to do much of anything at PAX, you’re gonna wait in some lines. But, this is on the “don’t” list simply to help you make good decisions. Do you really need to wait in line over an hour to play Destiny 2 when it comes out next week? Think about it. Do you really want to wait in line for an hour to watch a new Middle-earth: Shadow of War trailer that will be online Tuesday morning? Time is precious at PAX. Choose wisely.

Welcome home.
    Welcome home.

The Optional List

Three PAX traditions that should not be ignored. Your interest will likely depend on who is involved, so take note.

Keynote

No Caption Provided

The “Storytime” session is typically a great opening ceremony for PAX, especially for first-timers. But the Penny Arcade Q&A no longer immediately follows the keynote, so unless you're a fan of the speaker, it may not be worth it. This year’s speaker is Luke Smith, who you may know from 1UP years ago or, more recently, Destiny.

Music

No Caption Provided

On Friday and Saturday night, Benaroya Hall will be rocking late into the night. Whether you know anything about the performers or not, the concerts are a great time especially if you don’t have any other late night plans. Friday’s lineup includes Bit Brigade, MC Frontalot, and Mega Ran. Saturday night will feature the The Oneups, The Doubleclicks, and Super Guitar Bros.

Omegathon Finals

No Caption Provided

The Omegathon is an elimination tournament that takes place throughout the entire weekend between a couple dozen attendees who were randomly selected prior to the show. The final game is always kept a secret until the very end. It’s usually a great closing ceremony, but it totally depends on the game. I’ve seen some great ones like Vs. Excitebike, Ikaruga, Trials Evolution, and (inexplicably) a stuffed animal crane game. But, I’ve also seen some pure train wrecks like Spaceteam and Cornhole. So, I can’t recommend it as much as I used to, but it still has the potential to be awesome.

Let's Rank It! is back. Enter at your own risk. Some things you can't unhear.
    Let's Rank It! is back. Enter at your own risk. Some things you can't unhear.

<>

Well, that's all I've got. If you have any suggestions, comments, suggestions, or complaints, let me hear it. As always, hopefully this will help some people out and maybe I'll see some of you at PAX. If you see a guy with a red camera, that's probably me. Anyway, it's gonna be a blast. Have fun.

2017 Maps

P.S. - Don't forget to get all your eSports Entertainment news at LeagueOfHeels.com!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wait, I thought the Waypoint panel was canceled?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marino  Staff

Not that I'm aware of. Where did you see/hear that?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: They mentioned it on Waypoint Radio. I'm not sure which ep, maybe one or two back?

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You beautiful man thank you for posting this! I'm very excited for my first PAX!

5p3ktro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smoke weed, and go to Add-a-Ball in Fremont.

zomgitstoly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there an official Giant Bomb meet up planned or did they stop doing those? This will be my first year, but I remember they used to have them other years, where they would rent out a bar and all.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marino  Staff

Is there an official Giant Bomb meet up planned or did they stop doing those? This will be my first year, but I remember they used to have them other years, where they would rent out a bar and all.

Hasn't been one since 2015, unfortunately. And nothing officially planned this year. The staff usually hangs around after the panel (outside the room) for a bit to talking to fans though.

thurbleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember last year coming across a 'board game night' the Thursday of PAX in the Sheraton. Is that a regular thing on the Eve of PAX or just a strange happenstance? Haven't been able to find anything official but have seasoned veterans seen that as a regular thing?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Marino  Staff

I remember last year coming across a 'board game night' the Thursday of PAX in the Sheraton. Is that a regular thing on the Eve of PAX or just a strange happenstance? Haven't been able to find anything official but have seasoned veterans seen that as a regular thing?

Yes. It's been an "unofficial official" thing for many years.

There's a thread for it on the official PAX forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is the Giant Bomb panel being recorded? Just not live streamed?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marino  Staff

@dgtlty said:

Is the Giant Bomb panel being recorded? Just not live streamed?

Always recorded. The particular theater isn't set up for streaming.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Marino  Staff
    MStankow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave Lang panels? Sign me up.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention. But the panel list this year looks way better than like the last 5 years. Besides all of these, a few of my friends are in panels as well.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Ok, cool. Something must have changed... or not changed as it were.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By bemusedchunk

god damnit - now i want to play everquest...

unrelated question: will any of these be recorded for consumption?

emphulio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for doing this! I found it super helpful, just a shame so few a streamed.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Marino  Staff

god damnit - now i want to play everquest...

unrelated question: will any of these be recorded for consumption?

It makes me happy that at least one person usually recognizes the icons.

As for recording, the Personal History and Postmortem were definitely recorded yesterday. I don't know about Waypoint. Lang has said he has a plan to video Let's Rank It. All of the ones on Sunday are being recorded for sure.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

noxid3721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my brother and I's first PAX experience and this guide really helped us to be prepared for just about everything. We had an amazing time and this guide made it that much easier. Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to put this together. So thank you!

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Marino  Staff

This was my brother and I's first PAX experience and this guide really helped us to be prepared for just about everything. We had an amazing time and this guide made it that much easier. Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to put this together. So thank you!

Thanks. I'm glad so many people find it useful. I've had several people spot me and tell me in person this year, which is cool.

PanaMusica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Console freeplay was super dope this year. Also - pinball!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.