Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

5 Reasons why I'll NEVER get into PC Gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have a couple of friends who are super into PC gaming and they seem shocked when I tell them I'll never build a gaming rig and start playing PC games. So I figured I'd list the top five reasons why I'll never get into PC gaming. There is no particular order here so view this more as a list and not a ranking.

1. Too Expensive

I feel like it is way too expensive to get into PC Gaming, especially with all this crypto currency nonsense happening. As someone who has only a weak laptop to do all of my computing I'd have to spend money on more then just some RAM to get a Gaming Rig. A monitor, tower, keyboard, mouse and all the computing bits ends up being way more than a console and way more then what I'm willing to spend.

2. Warped Expectations

One of my fears of PC Gaming is that it is so awesome that it would warp my expectations in such a way where I could no longer play console games. Only 30 fps? Only 1080p? I can't play this!

3. Too Much Tinkering

The last thing I want to do after putting a game in is to mess around in settings for a hour and a half to make sure the game runs good. I already find some of the PS4 Pro choices in some games to be kind of annoying. I can't imagine all the nonsense sliders I'd have to fiddle with in a PC game.

4. Mouse and Keyboard

The keyboard is great for typing and my daily computer use, but using it for video games? Forget about it! There are so many keys on a keyboard just thinking about using it to play a video game is dizzying. And before people say "You can use a controller!" I like competitive FPS games. And using a controller against mouse and keyboard users would mean a super not fun time for me.

5. Too Many Cheaters

Another big reason why I avoid PC gaming like the plague is because of all the cheaters. PC gaming is like the wildwest where anything goes. So many hacks and mods chomping at the bit to ruin your gaming experience. I can't remember the last time I encountered a cheater on console and if I did it was because they were exploiting a glitch in a game and not installing the latest wallhack mod.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Casepb

Haha, majority of that stuff is just over exaggerations. I've been playing PC and consoles games since I was around 10 or so. I just couldn't imagine not having both. There will always be games on consoles that PC won't have, and PC games consoles will never have. I also can't remember the last time I ran into any cheaters on PC. All of the online games I play are either MMOs or Blizzard games that have top notch anti cheating systems. Also no game makes you use every single key on the keyboard. At least no game I've ever played has. I don't get how console gamers claim the expensive con, and then go spend $1500+ on a big TV.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm well past trying to convince you of anything (though I still haven't given up on @pyrodactyl). You do what you want, but you're missing out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mellotronrules

oh, i'm on to you bub. *winks terribly*

No Caption Provided

if this is performance art 9/10 would art again.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know if this thread is a joke or not, but either way people will never admit that most of the things you bring up are actual problems that are deal breakers for a lot of people who play video games.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bybeach

One thing I will defend is mouse and keyboard. Once you get used to it, the flexibility and preciseness of it is something gets too used to when using a controller. That said, it isn't necessary in all games, or even desirable in some(Dark Souls to my experience). I use a controller quite a bit with my pc set-up. But my core is always mouse and keyboard.

As for the rest, well, I'm not seriously arguing, especially these days. You could go expensive, come out with all three consoles, Sony, X-box and Nintendo. What is that?, 1,200+ dollars? Or resign yourself to a mostly dependable console of your choosing, with perhaps an eye that you want or started with the Switch. You'll miss out on a lot of pc games,..or will you these days?

Still, I love my pc. And it is in the living room. It doesn't hurt that it is also so versatile. And amazing in terms of gaming what you can do with it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That post count coincidence is pretty great.

But seriously - 1 is a recent development, 2 is really just a matter of having higher standards for yourself, 3 is almost a non-issue unless your rig is severely underpowered, 4... all right, fine, if you like controllers and lean heavily into conmpetitive shooters, consoles are a good choice. 5 is rarely a problem outside of PUBG.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool man. This debate is really boring whatever side you are on. You are happy with your consoles, great. I have only pc, because it was cheaper solution for me, great. Plus this thread is probably a joke.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. This argument is kinda BS when an Xbox One X is $500+

2. Not sure what the issue is here? I say you can live in both worlds, I certainly do.

3. I only have to tinker with games released in the early 90s-00s. Any recent Triple A release is probably just gonna work. Obviously, there are always exceptions to the rule. On the flip-side it's great to have the option to tinker. For a crappy console release you are stuck until the developer releases a patch. Kinda seems like a plus to me.

4. Personal preference, but ya you will get wrecked using a controller in Counter-Strike/COD on PC

5. No? Even with "rampant" cheating in PUBG I've encountered 5 cheaters in 70hrs+. Also, not exclusive to PC. I remember cheating ruining the GTA V economy on Xbox 360.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To each their own.

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool story, bro.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nnickers

I fully expected to see that this was the OP’s first post on this site.

Are you trying to start a console war thread? Is this a super-meta joke?

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@ballsleon: While I'm also with a lot of people in the replies here wondering if this is a joke thread, I think a rebuttal to your first point in the present is that most decent GPUs now cost more than an Xbox One X.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay tuned for my exciting thread, "Five reasons chocolate doesn't go with peanut butter."

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

lol

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a couple counterpoints for the hell of it.

1.Too expensive

I would argue against this, yes the HARDWARE is more expensive but the money i save on not paying 65$ on every game more than makes up for it. Games are typically cheaper(with sales and discounts all the time) and typically run better.

2. warped expectations

I think it depends on your personality, i no longer enjoy most games at 30fps unless they are slow paced and 1080p is kinda the minimum i would accept for a new high budget game. I don't really consider those warped expectations, would you play a 60 dollar AAA game that only supported 480p? 4k is also creeping up into the console space as well, so this won't be a pc only issue(luxury) to deal with for much longer

3. Too much Tinkering

Again depends on your personality. If you don't mind slightly lower settings or resolution, most games will work out the box at medium or low standard settings. You don't have to tinker with anything unless your on a real old system usually.

4. Mouse and Keyboard

I play 99% of my games with a pad, and most games that require a M/KB i use a steam controller(highly underrated controller). For competitive fps games probably stick to console(they aren't really my thing). But at the end of the day most people aren't good even with mouse and keyboard, so if your good with a pad you can still be competitive in most modern games(just probably not in the top).

5. Cheaters

Again i don't play much competitive stuff but I remember dealing with many cheaters on xbox 360 back in the day too. Cheaters gonna cheat console or pc lol.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this 2006?

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud: The winds of change are upon us fellow duder! I am seeing more and more sellers offering package deals (ex: MOBO + GPU) for pre-cryptobonanaza prices.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acidbrandon18: 1- Too Expensive - PC is definitely more expensive but perhaps by less than you think. Have you ever had a console die? I'm on my 2nd xbox 360, my 2nd ps3, and my 2nd ps4. Some people are on their 3rd or 4th console, so it's not cheaper for them. They're pretty fragile, and unfortunately meant to be disposable.

2- Warped expectations - This definitely happens, you just have to decide if the extra fidelity is worth it to you. I tried Assassins Creed Origins on PS4 first, then bought it sight-unseen on PC because I knew it would look way better. It's a 1080p30 -> 1440p60 upgrade in my case. That's huge. And that's not with a great new video card. It's just a GTX 970.

3- Tinkering - Don't tinker, just make sure the game resolution is set to your native resolution for your screen, and Set the game to "medium" or "high" preset. This will be fine 9 times out of 10.

4- Mouse and Keyboard - If it's a mainstream ps4/xbox/pc crossplatform game it's going to have Xbox 360/Xbox One controller support. The new white Xbox One S controller makes an awesome PC controller. Don't go up against the M&K PUBG stone cold killers with a controller, but for everything else it's fine. If someone is a stone cold killer on a controller they might even hold their own online. I'm on a controller 80% of the time on pc.

5- Cheaters - PUBG has a reputation for a big cheating problem, but in 100 hours, I've been lucky enough to only see a cheater twice, so perhaps it's overblown. Good job Valve and PUBG for creating a used market for in game items. Hmm, I wonder why people in my game are so incentivized to cheat. Let me go sit on my new yacht and contemplate that...

Also, if I may continue to try to sell you on it.

-G-Sync/Free-sync & High refresh rates: You have to see it to believe it. The first time I tried Battlefield 1 at 144 frames per second, my jaw dropped. It's like putting on glasses. Soon consoles and TVs may support variable refresh rate which is nice, but the real thing you want is 60+ frame rate, and consoles will never do that. They have committed to 4k/30fps as a target instead of high refresh rates. It's nice that you can choose frame rate over resolution for many games on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Also, realize that this is very genre specific. 30 fps in Battlefield is way worse than in Uncharted.

-The Glorious Steam Bargain Bin: I wondered why the console stores never have really low sales like steam, then I learned that it's because they can't undercut their brick&mortar retail partners. So if you wait 12 months for a $60 release, you can usually get it way cheaper on a Steam sale, than the PS or Xbox store. Disc retail inventory goes down in price pretty good too, just not compared to a steam sale.

-The Mighty SSD: Ever get sick of waiting for games to load on an Xbox One? That's a 5400rpm hard drive you're waiting for. Some of those load times are so long they have to play pretty music and give you flavor text to read. Try a PC with an SSD drive, and it loads so fast you can't even read the flavor text!

-Also, if you have a PC you can print out Word documents and boarding passes and stuff...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.