Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Alienware X51

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

Wow. Pretty sure this will be my new computer once I need an upgrade. I have an enormous tower next to my 46" TV. I so wished it would be smaller and much quieter, and sit in the rack with the PS3 and the Apple TV. Actually I hope this trends picks up so we get a variety of systems, because I do not like the Alienware-Flash. I would prefer it to be just a big black unmarked box. But still ...

EDIT: Forgot to add some specs just copy and paste from Engadget.

Alienware X51 Product Specifications:

• Intel Core i3 Dual Core (standard) and Intel Core i5 and i7 Quad Core Processor Options
    • Intel H61 Express Chipset Architecture
    • Mini-ITX Motherboard
    • Powerful NVIDIA Graphics Card Options
      • 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 (Standard)
      • 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555
    • Configure with up to 8GB of DDR3 Memory (4GB Standard); 2x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
    • Fast 7,200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (Standard) or optional Blu-ray Disc Reader
    • Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
    • Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN (standard)
    • USB 2.0 (6x); USB 3.0 (2x); Microphone In; Headphone/Speaker Out; HDMI 1.4 Output; RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet; Front, Rear and Center Speaker Ports; SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK); SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
    • Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply (Standard) or optional 330 Watt Power Supply
    • Dual-orientation tower system dimensions: h: 13.5" (343mm) x w: 3.74" (95mm) x d: 12.52" (318mm)
    • Starting Weight: 12.1 lbs. (5.49 Kg.)
    No Caption Provided
    david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By david3cm

Sweet, I guess... is this all the information on this product, any actual tech specs or just dimensions? I do like the somewhat sleeker design compared to Alienware's usual gaudy machines.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

@Wuddel: That's like posting the picture of a door and saying it's your new house. What do its guts look like?

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you'll get a very positive response to posting Alienware kit. 

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wuddel

@Ravenlight: Added that.

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: I really like more the concept of the very small, "no compromise" PC.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wuddel: That's fine, as long as you're prepared to pay a hefty sum for it. 
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wuddel

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: That's not really an issue as long as it does what it wants. They should add decibel values to such machine specs though.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

@Wuddel:

You do all of your PC gaming and web browsing from your couch? We truly live in a blessed age.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bybeach

@Wuddel said:

@Ravenlight: Added that.

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: I really like more the concept of the very small, "no compromise" PC.

Size matters in the long run, unfortunatly. But if the Alien laptop isn't expected to do too much, I do understand. In fact I was thinking laptop myself, but settled for my self-built tower. Otherwise I would have done what you have with some kind of decent laptop, and gotten a larger display (was thinking of the 27 inch dell ultra-sharp) in the den. I decided I will upgrade my tv (old now Samsung Dlp) in a few years...maybe. I've got Blueray w/the PS 3. on a shelf rack I bought at an on-line store.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty

I would much rather build my own than have some overpriced Alienware monstrosity to be honest. I don't like flashy or glossy cases at all.

Edit: the 545/555s are not particularly great cards. You can build fairly small PCs without having to settle for inferior hardware.

Get a nice little HTPC case, some of them look really nice and aren't massive or anything, plenty of space for a good card like a 560ti/570/580...etc

@Wuddel said:

The graphics cards are compromises, all the information I'm finding paints the 545/555 as mobile cards, the 555M can't achieve 60 FPS playing BF3 on all low. That's kind of really bad.

Maybe the 555 isn't out yet and that's why I can only find stuff on the 555M. But yeah if it's the 555M these things come with then that's a bad deal.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wuddel

@Ravenlight: Not really getting the irony here. Why not. Yeah I do all my gaming for an armchair actually. Even with M&K games this was not a tiresome as I expected it to be. I have a MacBook Pro for all my normal computer needs though. I can understand that no one would work like that.

@bybeach: I think this presents an interesting middle ground. You save the money for the laptop display and the bigger case allows for more horse power.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

That's a pretty shitty spec sheet though, and it will cost a hell of a lot of money knowing Alienware. You can just build yourself a HTPC with good components and it will essentially be the same thing, but better and cheaper.

Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Towers

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1216714p1.html

• Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz (3MB Cache), 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GT 545, 4GB RAM: $699
  • Intel Core i5-2320 3.0GHz (6MB Cache), 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GT 545, 8GB RAM: $899
  • Intel Core i5-2320 3.0GHz (6MB Cache), 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 555, 6GB RAM: $949
  • Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz (8MB Cache), 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 555, 8GB RAM: $1,149
  • Yeah, I'm not paying that much for a computer that can't be upgraded that plays BF3 at 30FPS. Not to mention the cooling...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@Wuddel said:

@Ravenlight: Not really getting the irony here. Why not. Yeah I do all my gaming for an armchair actually. Even with M&K games this was not a tiresome as I expected it to be. I have a MacBook Pro for all my normal computer needs though. I can understand that no one would work like that.

Not actually irony, though I should have probably written it better to reflect what I meant :/ I'm actually a little jealous of your sweet setup, duder :D

I'd suggest building your own box but you seem set on a pre-build PC. Which is fine but I don't have any recommendation on that front.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.