Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Ati 4870X2 Guru 3d preview

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By albaker
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By albaker

Amazing product considering it beats the GTX 280 in every benchmark they did, (though they havn't included crysis, it's a preview btw).

Priced at around $449-499, pretty damn good for the price too, it gives amazing performance and framerates, PLUS it's 2GB

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Will1Lucky

As an ATI fanboy, I am proud to say it beats the 280GTX and i'm keeping an eye on it, double this with Intel's Nehalem launch in October and I have a feeling a lot of people will be having building new rig's.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By albaker
    Will1Lucky said:
    "As an ATI fanboy, I am proud to say it beats the 280GTX and i'm keeping an eye on it, double this with Intel's Nehalem launch in October and I have a feeling a lot of people will be having building new rig's."
    Oh yeah, definitely. Considering Intel is only going to let the Nahalem work on their X58 and won't let Nvidia use Nahalem chips on Nvidia chipsets
    Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nobility

Beast, though I think my PC would melt...

sgthalka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6  Edited By sgthalka

Looks great. My first PC gaming rig had a Radeon 9700 Pro, so I've been rooting for ATI even though my last two video cards were Nvidia.

Currently have a 640MB 8800 GTS. Don't really feel the need to upgrade anytime soon, unless there are some new games coming that deserve some boosted hardware purchases.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By albaker
    sgthalka said:
    "Looks great. My first PC gaming rig had a Radeon 9700 Pro, so I've been rooting for ATI even though my last two video cards were Nvidia.

Currently have a 640MB 8800 GTS. Don't really feel the need to upgrade anytime soon, unless there are some new games coming that deserve some boosted hardware purchases.
    "
    Yeah definitely wait and check out the reviews of the 4870X2 and the price I thihnk this is the card to get this gen
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By calf_exercises

Im getting a new pc next month, I think ill just settle with the 4870. I only have a budget of $2000 au. which can get me somthing quite good.

MachineHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MachineHead

Im thinking about going 4870 crossfire

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By sculsoldi3r

That cards rating is magical. Why didn't they put 9800gtx2 in there mmm?

MrRetep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrRetep

Yep i might put this in my new rig

y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By y0y0
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "That cards rating is magical. Why didn't they put 9800gtx2 in there mmm?"
    the HD 4870x2 outperforms the every single Nvidia dual or single Slot solution right now, including the 9800x2.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By VACkillers

interesting, it definitely looks like it could be a really good card, looking forward to more benchmarks and bit more of the top end running games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 when it comes out.  Flight Sim X is always a good test for benchmarking aswell but if this card performs THAT good on super high resolutions then its going to be the mac daddy of video cards right now. with 8800s becoming more of the norm with gamers these days, nvidia's newer lineups the 9 series and the GTX 280s haven't really impressed me that much at all over the tried and trusted 88's.... This will be brilliant i reckon......  and this comming from an nvidia fanboy lol

HipHopHitler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HipHopHitler

Hopefully they start to gain back some space. They've been on real shaky ground recently so it's good to see nVidia has to deal with some proper competition. In the end it's much better for consumers.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VACkillers

totally agree HipHop. (kool name haha)  but seriously..... ATI i feel have REALLY struggled ever since the release of the 8800s so this will be very nice for ATI, and consumers too, if this card really does what it looks like its going to in those benchmarks.... a much needed boost because nvidia i think feel they've had no competition for far too long and keep chugging out graphics cards like birthdays with no performance increase, not really.... and its costing the consumer a lot of dollors....

HipHopHitler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HipHopHitler
    VACkillers said:
    "totally agree HipHop. (kool name haha)  but seriously..... ATI i feel have REALLY struggled ever since the release of the 8800s so this will be very nice for ATI, and consumers too, if this card really does what it looks like its going to in those benchmarks.... a much needed boost because nvidia i think feel they've had no competition for far too long and keep chugging out graphics cards like birthdays with no performance increase, not really.... and its costing the consumer a lot of dollors....
    "
    Yeah, the obvious example would be the Series 9 range, which lasted a month. ATI have been picking up the pace ever since AMD bought them, and it's good to see them bring out a solid top end performer, but they need to hit that mid-range card. I'm not sure but i think the current 4800 cards haven't been performing too well on the sales front, but that'll definitely pick up with time.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VACkillers

From what i've read and going by some of these benchmark sites, ATI have REALLY struggled with adding AA on with a lot of the games especially at high resolutions, they kick ass right untill you turn on the AA and in a lot of cases just do a crash-to-desktop soon as u turn it on.... but going by this new card, it abslutely blows away that minus right out of the water playing at what was it? 2400 res with 4X AA?  thats WOW!! in my book....

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By unclejohnny79

Looks good but I think I might stay with my 8800gt for a while

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    y0y0 said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    the HD 4870x2 outperforms the every single Nvidia dual or single Slot solution right now, including the 9800x2.
    "
    Ahh IC, by how much?
    y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By y0y0
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "y0y0 said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    Ahh IC, by how much?"
    The gap is quite big between the 9800GX2 and the HD 4870 X2 (As if even beats the GTX 280 SLI in some tests) , here are the benchmarks, http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=4

Abunai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Abunai

With my monitor size, a HD 4850 is plenty for smooth frame rates .^.
    But this looks awesome regardless, nice for the people who can afford it

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By albaker
    y0y0 said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "y0y0 said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    Ahh IC, by how much?"
    The gap is quite big between the 9800GX2 and the HD 4870 X2 (As if even beats the GTX 280 SLI in some tests) , here are the benchmarks, http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=4

"
    Linked
    y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By y0y0
    albaker said:
    "y0y0 said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "y0y0 said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    Ahh IC, by how much?"

"
    Linked
    "
    lol thanks dont know how to link things yet...
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By albaker

haha pretty easy just highlight a sentence then press the link icon on the toolbar and insert the the link in the URL, happy to help

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GiantGUS

I am so glad I have a laptop so I don't keep worrying about videocards that are new and stuff.

I have a good laptop wit a GF 8400GS M and 4GB of ram so it runs every game.
    When it doesn't: NEW LAPTOP. Because I get too obsessive about which one to buy, and I always want to get the newest videocard when they come out.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By OGCartman

Wow, looks awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.