Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

ATI or NVIDIA

• 62 results
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Azteck

Hey there. 

As of a few months back, I've been looking into getting myself a gaming rig. I figured now's as good a time as any to get one. I would in that case buy components myself and build it instead of just buying one. Would be cheaper this way.

My question for you, however, is if there is an actual advantage with one of the two different manufacturers. Could be anything (Crossfire or SLI, etc.) I'm talking about significant difference in performance or other specifics. And which one you feel I should go for. I should probably add that I don't really have a set budget for it yet since it'll be a while before I can buy all the parts. Also know that I haven't got my eye on a specific product yet.

I'm guessing the question seems somewhat dodgy, and if I stumble onto some fanboy war thing then I am sorry. Was not my intention. 

(and if this topic has been brought up before, feel free to lock this one. Didn't seem to find anything in search. But I could've messed that up for all I know=

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its all a conspiracy. Like Pepsi and Coke, they're the exact game products.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " Its all a conspiracy. Like Pepsi and Coke, they're the exact game products. "
    Except Coke is good, so you're wrong.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

LIES they aren't the same! 

Different design philosophy, and I speak of the most current one, or the most overall one.   

Nvidia:  Stack em together, get some thermal tape and add more ram! MORE MORE MORE! 
    ATI:  Let's take this and make it work better, get that done and then add more.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

Except Coke is good, so you're wrong. "
    Ah, yet another fool in the big corporate game. 

Also, all consoles are exactly the same. When you uncover your eyes from the brainwashing the big businesses give you, you'll discover that the PS3 is just an Atari 2600 with a good paint job and the 360 is just a Game Boy with a phone attached.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno

Nvidia: 

Pros 

Best in absolute performance  
    Value added APIs such as CUDA, 3D Vision and PhysX (the former which allows more efficient folding and other GPU processing activities) 
    Performs higher in tesselation and high antialiasing
    Responsive driver team that often gives day 1 patches for games, and superior multi-GPU and 3D support 
    More accessible driver, which allows you to tweak almost any settings with programs like Nhancer

Cons 

Typically more expensive (ranging from nominally to extremely)
    Hot (which in turn means loud) 
    Higher power consumption adding to total cost in the long run 

ATI: 

Pros 

Good value for money (some Radeon HD 4000 series cards can still be considered good value for money while the GT 200 cards have long been left in the dust in that aspect)
    Relatively cool running (less noise, less ambient heat)
    Lower power consumption (saving you money in the long run compared to a corresponding Nvidia solution)
    In the current market, greater selection of graphics cards   
    Eyefinity

Cons 

Drivers not as responsive to new game releases 
    Shoddy multi-GPU support 
    Typically plays second fiddle in terms of absolute performance in any given generation.  

Both companies have their pros and the cons, and it's hard to choose which one is best based simply on their descriptions. It comes down to performance benchmarks, price, and what features you're most interested in. 

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jmrwacko
    @MysteriousBob said:
    Pepsi tastes like carbonated orgasm. Coke is disgusting, flat, sugary water.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

I just go for whichever offers best bang for buck when I need to upgrade.  I've never noticed much of an advantage either way - certainly not enough to warrant sticking with one manufacturer over the other.

The best single care on the market at the moment is the ATI 5970, apparently.  It does seem to cost about 3x as much as a 360 though.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

Ah, yet another fool in the big corporate game.  Also, all consoles are exactly the same. When you uncover your eyes from the brainwashing the big businesses give you, you'll discover that the PS3 is just an Atari 2600 with a good paint job and the 360 is just a Game Boy with a phone attached. "
    You're an idiot.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

Ah, yet another fool in the big corporate game.  Also, all consoles are exactly the same. When you uncover your eyes from the brainwashing the big businesses give you, you'll discover that the PS3 is just an Atari 2600 with a good paint job and the 360 is just a Game Boy with a phone attached. "
    You're an idiot. "
    I'm only joking, there's no need to be an asshole.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

You're an idiot. "
    I'm only joking, there's no need to be an asshole. "
    0_o 

You don't have a good sense of humor.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

You're an idiot. "
    I'm only joking, there's no need to be an asshole. "
    0_o  You don't have a good sense of humor. "
    Humour is subjective. 

What, you mean I actually think the 360 is a Game Boy with a phone attached? 

jsuuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By jsuuun

There isn't a huge difference, but every so often one company puts out better cards than the other and then a few months down the line they switch.  Right now nvidia seems to be floundering a bit, some of their cards are just an older generation gpu with a new model number attached to it, while ati has been doing pretty good with their 5 series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
    "The best single care on the market at the moment is the ATI 5970, apparently.  It does seem to cost about 3x as much as a 360 though. "
    It's a dual-GPU-card and therefore less than ideal, "micro-stutter" being the keyword. The fastest cards right now are GTX480 (nVidia) and HD5870 (ATI). However, the "most bang for the buck" cards in my opinion are GTX285 (nVidia) and HD5850 (ATI), with the former lacking DX11 support.

The problem is, all of those cards are kinda hard to get right now. The 200-series from nVidia is "end of line" and consequently out of stock, while the flagship cards are crazy expensive and hardly available. Currently the safest bet is a HD5770.
    ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ColMirage
    @atomic_dumpling said:
     However, the "most bang for the buck" cards in my opinion are GTX285 (nVidia) and HD5850 (ATI)

I'm pretty sure you meant the 470, right? As the performance increase over the 285 is MASSIVE and the price increase so little in comparaison. Of course, it'll require a nuclear power plant to run and you'll be able to cook some eggs on it, but if you're going purely for FPS/$, going for a 285 would be a big mistake.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Willy105

ATI 4 LIFE.

But yeah, they are pretty much the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ColMirage said:

" @atomic_dumpling said:

However, the "most bang for the buck" cards in my opinion are GTX285 (nVidia) and HD5850 (ATI)

I'm pretty sure you meant the 470, right? As the performance increase over the 285 is MASSIVE and the price increase so little in comparaison. Of course, it'll require a nuclear power plant to run and you'll be able to cook some eggs on it, but if you're going purely for FPS/$, going for a 285 would be a big mistake. "
    Power costs money. Besides, try getting a 470 right now. Good luck with that. Here in Germany the prices for both 470 and 480 are rising by the hour and fast. There are also many dicks who buy several cards, use one and put the others up on eBay, lowering the number of available cards even further. 

Sadly, the 285 is also hard to get, so it's a bad situation all around.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Ati is always the value cards with a lousy heatsink and stutters alot. Might improve this gen, however with such good value and with lousy drivers, you almost forgive it. Nvidia is the most expensive card out, it's not as good value because often times it's always alot more expensive. However it has decent drivers, a good heatsink and it always defeats ati at the very end since ati usually release their cards first. Still I like nvidia, I only buy nvidia dispite ppl saying you should buy whatever is out right now. Sorry to me ati doesn't exist and I could care less. Don't try to change my mind. I play for team nvidia.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By korwin

Again with the millitant loyalty lol.

Anyway I'm moved from a Nvidia solution to an ATi solution this round and it's great.  Multi GPU support has been given a complete overhaul under the cat 10.x series of drivers ditching the old method for something similar to Nvidia's SLI profile system.  I still dont think Cat Control Centre is a user friendly as the Nvidia control Panel but i've got used to it.  Currently Nvidia costs way to much for to little a gain.  I'm also pretty against things like CUDA and PhysX, trying to force propriatry technologies into such an open platform is just a bad idea.  I'd prefer everyone just go the OpenCL route for executing general compute and physics tech (i know Havok is working on direct compute and openCL based physics processing atm which is great).

Duckchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Duckchow

3DFX.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I'm going to be a dick and say whoever's making better cards at the time.

I'm pleased with my 9800GT, but before this I had a X1900XT or somesuch and liked it very much.

MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MaskedGamer

ATI all the way 

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By korwin
    @Duckchow:  Word son, Q2 running in glide on a Moster 3d 2 (The best voodoo 2) is the way it's done.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By captain_clayman

i could go either way but for my build i'm going ATI because they're cheaper, cooler running and wont blow up my weird off brand PSU 

and i typically like to root for the underdog, considering that i'm a mac user.

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chandu83

For now, I am going to stick with Nvidia. If Fermi performs really badly, then I am going to switch to ATI for the first time. 

I will upgrade when Crysis 2 come out - most likely to upgrade that is. Depends on the money situation.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By rjayb89

PEPSI 
    PROS 
    IT'S AWESOME 
    CONS 
    NOTHING 

COKE 
    PROS 
    NOTHING 
    CONS 
    IT SUCKS

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Evilsbane

Every time I deal with an ATI card, especially the on board chips, I deal with shitty drivers and constant problems same as AMD processors. Nvidia and Intel both just seem much more stable.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chyro
    @Evilsbane: 

I have had problems with ATI drivers before as well.

But other then that I just buy whatever card has the best price/performance ratio that's around $200.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30  Edited By mrhankey
    @Azteck said:
    " Hey there.   As of a few months back, I've been looking into getting myself a gaming rig. I figured now's as good a time as any to get one. I would in that case buy components myself and build it instead of just buying one. Would be cheaper this way.  My question for you, however, is if there is an actual advantage with one of the two different manufacturers. Could be anything (Crossfire or SLI, etc.) I'm talking about significant difference in performance or other specifics. And which one you feel I should go for. I should probably add that I don't really have a set budget for it yet since it'll be a while before I can buy all the parts. Also know that I haven't got my eye on a specific product yet.  I'm guessing the question seems somewhat dodgy, and if I stumble onto some fanboy war thing then I am sorry. Was not my intention.   (and if this topic has been brought up before, feel free to lock this one. Didn't seem to find anything in search. But I could've messed that up for all I know= "
    No. Do some research, figure out which is your best bang for buck. Don't listen to any of us pricks, we're all fan boys. 

WOOT WOOT! ATI! 
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aus_azn

ATi is usually faster to get new tech and make it cheap. Nvidia makes better stuff but is more expensive. 

I'm a Nvidia man, but if you ask me, ATi is leading right now.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By artofwar420

Nvidia, because they seem reliable. Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe it's just me.  

IN THE END however, you can't go wrong with either. Just do your research on the especific model you're looking for.

Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Teirdome

I've had bad luck with both ATI and Nvidia in terms of driver support.  For my current card I keep the previous drivers backed up in case I need to revert.  It's lame.  The ATI card I used through college had similar problems.

The best resource I've found is Tom's Hardware monthly guide to cards.  It's pretty much all ATI at the moment as the Fermi chips are just coming out, but you should still check it out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598.html

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Semition

I usually try to get the cheaper product, so it ends up being ATI most of the time.

prodromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By prodromus

I've owned cards from both companies and neither is de facto better. When you are ready to buy your card, you should go for the best "bang for your buck" card available at the price point that fits your budget.  For a quick and dirty overview I recommend checking out Tom's Hardware for pretty good break downs of the best video cards at each price level (newest edition just came out here).

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By animateria

I generally prefer Nvidia, since every time a graphical issue appears on a new game it's usually on ATI's side from what I've seen.

I'll pay a bit extra for that convenience, but who knows nowadays? If ATI gets better support with new games, I don't mind buying the one that's the most bang for the buck.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MysteriousBob said:
    hahaha i like :P 

Nvidia, simply because.... It's the way It's meant to be played (nVIDIAAAAHHHH)  didnt you know ?
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

I've had Nvidia cards in my systems for the past ten or so years, but when I recently built my new gaming PC I bought an ATI card.  

I'd go with ATI, much better cards right now. Simple choice really.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Azteck:  Both and neither.

I just go with whatever is better for the price at the time of purchase. I've had both Nvidia and ATI cards throughout my life and both have had their share of problems. However, don't listen to anyone that tells you that ATI's cards are lower quality or that their drivers are crap, or that Nvidia's cards are higher quality or that their drivers are perfect, because that's just simply not true.

Brand loyalty in anything is stupid, IMO. Just pick a budget, and go for whatever card is better within that budget. 
    Right now, you'll probably find that ATI's cards are a better buy at almost any price range, so for the most part it wouldn't be worth it going with Nvidia (for an objective person). At the time I bought my last card, Nvidia was on top because they offered a better product at a better price within my budget, so that's what I got.

Anyway, this should help you quite a bit so be sure to check it out when you have the time.
    Ceebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ceebs

Right now your best bet is the ATI 5800 series (5850 or 5870 depending on what you can spend). If that is out of your price range the ATI 5770 is the card for you. The new nVidia cards are just way too expensive and hard to get for the mild performance increase over the ATI equivalent.  

As for the drivers, ATI drivers are nowhere near as bad as people would have you believe. I have had an issue with one game out of dozens on my ATI card in the past year, and it was on the developer end, not the driver end.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @MysteriousBob said:
    No they're not.  They are two different products which provide different experiences and different focusses on features. 

@Korwin said:
    " Again with the millitant loyalty lol.  Anyway I'm moved from a Nvidia solution to an ATi solution this round and it's great.  Multi GPU support has been given a complete overhaul under the cat 10.x series of drivers ditching the old method for something similar to Nvidia's SLI profile system.  I still dont think Cat Control Centre is a user friendly as the Nvidia control Panel but i've got used to it.  Currently Nvidia costs way to much for to little a gain.  I'm also pretty against things like CUDA and PhysX, trying to force propriatry technologies into such an open platform is just a bad idea.  I'd prefer everyone just go the OpenCL route for executing general compute and physics tech (i know Havok is working on direct compute and openCL based physics processing atm which is great). "

Korwin, ATI don't offer open features, look at their Linux drivers or resounding inability to support a full OpenGL featureset which performs properly for clear indicators of that, let alone the debacle of three different DX9 sets (A, B and C) because they tried twice to lock Nvidia out of the market with underhanded practices (not the first time they've been underhanded either, QUACK ring a bell?) they just don't have anything on offer to compete with CUDA or PhysX so they get their viral marketers to go on Rage 3D and other forums to complain about closed solutions ad nauseum.  There's nothing wrong with CUDA or PhysX - they just take advantage of certain Nvidia features/products which ATI don't have or have been slower to provide support for (EVR comes to mind) and there are are plenty of other options for those devs who wish to remain agnostic such as DirectCompute instead of CUDA or a number of physics engines which are closed and open aside from PhysX.  ATI have plenty of closed features like AVIVO and Eyefinity and in both cases they have made deals with various vendors to get applications made which support these closed features.

OpenCL is a nice idea but I guarantee you down the road ATI will ignore it just as they did with RenderMonkey (where they claimed that Nvidia's Cg was 'too proprietary' and too complex being based on C, yet devs ate it up).  ATI don't give a shit about supporting developers or end users, they only like to complain when they can't organise a deal which falls in their favour.  PhysX floated around for a full 18 months while ATI sat on their hands and umm and ahhed and lied to their customers about about the x1800's supposed performance lead when in truth it was being bested by the 7800GT in many benchmarks.  Then once PhysX went to Nvidia ATI started complaining about proprietary this and closed that and all it really means is that ATI don't have a competing offering.  Nvidia would happily support OpenCL but with DirectCompute already in effect in Windows and VDPAU support in Linux why should they?  Most end users couldn't give two shits about accelerated physics so it stands to reason that it's a value add for the hardcore gamers.  HD Video Acceleration and realtime x264 encoding are proper value propositions and the only reason why ATI don't do the latter well is because they haven't got off their own arses to provide a proper solution for their customers (both retail and OEM/IHV) so in the meanwhile they should just stop talking about OpenCL and provide actual proper docs for their AVIVO HD encoder instead of just using bullet points to show what it's capable of.   Even my shitty 9600GT can do realtime (and faster) Profile 4.1 x264 codec stuff and has been able to since it was released.

Sorry but I have lost patience with ATI's bullshit and just because they were the first to reach market with DX11 (and DX10.1) support that doesn't prove much more than they do what ATI always does, push forward in top tier, selling based on bullet points and specific benchmarks while trampling their midrange and other tiered customers in process.  

That's not to say that Nvidia doesn't have their own share of bullshit and issues but overall when they say they support a product, they do so properly and for a proper amount of time too at every tier , not just the bleeding edge customers.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @Azteck said:
    is if there is an actual advantage with one of the two different manufacturers.
    If you put fanboyism at the door the cold hard facts are that ATI cards are better value for money, you get more performance per dollar. So what you should really do is wait until they release their new line of cards probably in the second half of this year. If you can't wait that long then the situation is this: NVIDIA has some single GPU cards that outperform ATI but are overpriced, ATI has the fastest dual GPU card still (I think?), the ATI 5850 benchmarks really well compared to the new NVIDIA fermi cards and is far better value for money.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @Korwin: Haha yeah I remember very similar comments from Hitman in another thread. I was trying to tell him the ATI card benchmarked the same or better across the board for less money and power consumption but he wouldn't listen... Fair enough if those are his principles though.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Sometimes value isn't enough, that's the point of my post here, having like 10-15% advantage for the gtx480 dispite price is more important. Having better drivers is more important and having cuda and physX support. If we all think we must go value or best bang for your buck for example, then we all should not use i7 processors and just get a AMD phenom X4 or whatever they made these days that no one except budget gamers cares about. No wonder ati/amd works together, bringing second rate products with good value to the market. If that's their business practice good for them, if you want power, reliability and drivers if price is not a concern, go nvidia and intel. Second rate products doesn't actually make you better or give you entitlement for value because your in second place. Value is just an excuse for those who doesn't need the best product to brag about their second rate product. 

Even if you think ati is leading now, it's obvious fermi hasn't been released yet. Ati did that same thing last gen of gpus, the hd4850, hd4870, everyone upgraded then got screwed when nvidia offered the gtx275 and gtx285, then they upgraded again to nvidia when they should of waited. Most of the hd4850 from other ppl I know had their cards fail, due to overheating, breaking and it stuttering non stop. This gen the hd5850 and hd5870 seems to figure out how to make a slightly better heatsink, however i'm not ever going to get an ati card, what if fermi cards later on has better drivers and more performance? To say the hd5850 tied with gtx470 is not true, sure there were alot of ties, however there were alot of instances depending where you read the benchmarks, the gtx470 outbenches ati's card. I will overclock it and probally votage tweak it to make up the difference. Having a new architecture will still be helpful imo for the fermi cards. I know this gen it seems like ati put a dent in the market share, I say it's nothing, just another trend of the hd4850/4870 being their first before the market realised they should of waited and bought nvidia as usual. If ppl likes geting screwed because they belive they should buy whatever is at the market at the time they want, they are just going to have to upgrade ealier again back to nvidia. If they release the fermi cards, it will sell like hotcakes. Don't try to convince me otherwise, I am unconvinced at ati right now and it's about trust, I trust nvidia to give me good drivers, a good heatsink, non stuttering framerates, fastest card dispite the price and a reliable product. 

Okay looking online, I found some canadian sites that now lowered their price to near $330, that's really cheap for a hd5850 and it even has a heatsink with it which will save me money from buying one and installing it voiding my waranty. However I still say no because it will still have all the faults i've mentioned. I will regret all the features like physX, cuda, drivers, better screenshots since my friend posted screenshots from his ati hd5870, looked worst than his gtx295. It's a problem because I post screenshots all the time. Sometimes saying no to compromises really is saying yes to a better product later on imo.

In conclusion, value = excuse for being second rate, nvidia = higher price, higher performance.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By korwin
    @SeriouslyNow: 

Eh I'm not using ATi cards at the moment due to the value for money, I had more than enough for 2 GTX480's.  They were just straight up to noisy and to warm and not quite quick as originally intended for my tastes, my 5870 E6’s sure as shit arent silent under heavy load but the scream from that delta on the 480 heat sink is just nuts.  I'm looking forward to the 500 series of the Fermi line, should allow them to make proper use of the new architecture, double up the CUDA cores and drop the heat levels down and they’ll truly have something great again (still waiting for another 8800GTX moment).

I'm still not a fan of closed or proprietary technologies on a platform that’s as open as the PC.  ATi true form was equally as ridiculous as any thing being thrown around today.   Also lets face it ATi only really started to come back into game with the 4800 series, the 3800’s were passable I guess… but the 2900XT was garbage and everything following the 9800 was pretty underwhelming.

At the end of the day even if everyone ditches OpenCL there’s still Direct Compute which is just as good in my eyes.   Not that you still can’t do some properly good physic’s work with CPU based solutions (the stuff done with Havok in HL2:EP2 springs to mind).

Also, props for the quack reference, I doubt most people here will know where you’re coming from.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bhhawks78

I think ati is better bang for the buck, but if you have driver issues?  Prepare to post in 100 long page customer service threads on  their site and NEVER GET ANY HELP.  I'd rather have a card be 5% shittier and have real customer service.  I will never buy ati again.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sanryd
    @jmrwacko said: 
    " Pepsi tastes like carbonated orgasm. Coke is disgusting, flat, sugary water. "
    Completely off-topic, but THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH! I've never heard it described so perfectly before. If this forum had sigs, this is one of those posts I'd put in mine, even if it'd be a little weird.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Skytylz

ATI is better than nvidia and coke is better than pepsi.

/thread

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thenexus

If your on a budget and you want to play the latest games, what card would you guys recomend?

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thenexus: I got a Radeon HD 4650, it was like $50 and runs everything I throw at it. Most stuff on Mid-High settings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.