Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Best way to record, compress and upload PC game footage?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Hey, I was wondering if there was a good, preferably free or inexpensive program out there to record game footage to upload to the internet. I tried FRAPS but it used up like 1 gig space within a minute and more than halved my framerate. I see plenty of HD videos running on Youtube with no loss in framerate, and apparently relatively small file size, so if anyone knows the programs and procedures to go about this I would greatly appreciate it if you could share it with me. Thanks. 

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By commandercup

Fraps is really the best way to record PC game footage. The reason the file that Fraps outputs is so large is because it puts out raw AVI files which gives you pretty much 1:1 quality. YouTube videos that have high framerates are recordings of games on high-powered computers as it's impossible to record gameplay footage without a loss in performance. If you want to save on your framerate, drop some of the settings in Fraps like lowering the recording framerate and resolution. 

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ColMirage

Recording video game footage will severely impact performance and eat away GBs no matter what program you use. The only performance-loss free option is to have a piece of hardware (IE; Another computer) do the recording but that's a no go for 99% of people.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I think a lot of people (casual game filmers) just use FRAPs.  Probably knock down their resolution and have beasty CPUs in some cases.  That's what I use anyways, doesn't actually hurt the framerate THAT much usually...  Sure FRAPs creates massive files, but real time compression would absolutely kill framerates.  In a few more CPU gens it should be practical though.

When I recorded Giant Bomb's Quake TNT I had over 38GB in uncompressed video.  Depending on what compression levels I used I could knock a 4GB file down to 200MB (for near-invisible compression), or much smaller if I didn't really care about the clip.  I use Super and VirtualDub (with codec installs separate in the case of VirtualDub).

Real, professional video game recorders use expensive video capture hardware.  Beyond spending hundreds if not thousands for good HD video capture, these things can be an INCREDIBLE pain to work with.  I'm not even willing to buy a $100 SD capture for my consoles just yet.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

I would also like to know this infomation. I don't wanna pay $35 or whatever for FRAPS!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Geno
    @commandercup said:

" Fraps is really the best way to record PC game footage. The reason the file that Fraps outputs is so large is because it puts out raw AVI files which gives you pretty much 1:1 quality. YouTube videos that have high framerates are recordings of games on high-powered computers as it's impossible to record gameplay footage without a loss in performance. If you want to save on your framerate, drop some of the settings in Fraps like lowering the recording framerate and resolution.  "

Another problem that I have with FRAPS is it only appears to record 30 seconds. If I want to record a whole match in BFBC2 for example, I think I would need something else. Is there any way to get by that in FRAPS, or is there another software I can use?  

On the hardware end I'm more or less fine; I can still get 40fps or so when recording. Just wanted to know if there was something else with less overhead so that I can get 60fps. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @Geno said:
    Another problem that I have with FRAPS is it only appears to record 30 seconds. If I want to record a whole match in BFBC2 for example, I think I would need something else. Is there any way to get by that in FRAPS, or is there another software I can use?
    You need the full version of FRAPs.  Along with the ability to record longer than 30 seconds, it'll give you 1/2 resolution filming and framerate choices.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

Have you tried setting the affinity for FRAPS to one cpu core, and the affinity for the game to the remaining cores only?

edit: also are you recording to a different physical drive than the one the game is running from?

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By commandercup
    @Scooper said:
    " I would also like to know this infomation. I don't wanna pay $35 or whatever for FRAPS! "
    Last time I checked, Xfire had a new video recording feature (a long time since I've used or read about it) which is free. Definitely not as good as Fraps, but it serves the same purpose.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Geno
    @Diamond said:
    " @Geno said:
    You need the full version of FRAPs.  Along with the ability to record longer than 30 seconds, it'll give you 1/2 resolution filming and framerate choices. "
    Sweet I'll do that, thanks. 
    leeauteprep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By leeauteprep

@Geno: you can use EZVID free screen recorder & video editor for YouTube. the output is not really big of a file size and totally free and very easy to use.. mine, i used it a lot as it's really a great alternative. i tried fraps before but aside from big file size, it is not free. you need to pay to use all its functions.. so better have some alternative options.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fattony12000

FRAPS, it's always FRAPS.

I use Bandicam for this type of stuff though, where I need to capture part of a screen.

EDIT

I just realised that this thread is nearly two years old, and that I've been enticed to reply by a spambot. I stand by my words, however.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.