Blue-Screen Errors and Loud Noises

#1 Edited by iDarktread (1263 posts) -
I posted this over at Tested, as well as here so as to get as much information on my situation as possible. 

So, for around a month, my PC had been blue-screening frequently. I went ahead and did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, and the same day, the computer blue-screened again. I've updated all of my drivers completely, and it still didn't fix the problem, which means there is probably something wrong with my hardware. The past week or so has surprisingly been blue-screen free, even though I made no big changes to software or drivers that I can remember.

Just today, when playing Call of Duty 4 and Bad Company 2, my computer started making a steady, loud noise, which included some strange buzzing sounds, until I closed the programs. When games aren't running, however, there is just the usual amount of noise present, and nothing to be concerned about. Edit: The computer can actually be pretty loud when nothing is running, actually.

It was recommended to me a while ago to try "Memtest86", but I held off trying it because the blue-screen problem had temporarily subsided on it's on, and has only just resurfaced. 

I will happily take any suggestions as to what steps I should take next, or program suggestions to help figure out the source of the problems, as I do believe there must be answers somewhere. I purchased all of my parts off of Newegg, and most of them should still be under warranty, having had the computer for only one year. I'm now also realizing that I haven't ever physically cleaned my computer, aside from a little through the case, which may be holding a fan back or dirtying a part somewhere. 

If I continue to use my computer normally while this problem is going on, would I be putting more of my hardware at risk? I'd hate to be directly responsible for any more harm that my computer could potentially experience.

Again, I'm open to following up with reports from software, and answering any questions to further my investigation, such as hardware information. Thank you. 

Edit: Something I forgot to mention in this initial report was that my computer sometimes makes a "beep" noise once in a while, and slows way down for a couple of seconds. 

Edit: I also forgot that my Windows 7 theme, background, window colors, and sounds, will go back to default at complete random. Furthermore, my monitor will flash on and off almost as if the computer was being choppy, for a few seconds at a time once in a while, which is odd.     

STOP: 0x0000001A 0x0000000000041790 0xFFFFFA8000C73F80 0x000000000000FFFF 0x0000000000000000
#2 Posted by Gonmog (671 posts) -

Mines doing almost the same thing. With a 560 card I just bought.. its very lame! I'll be watching this thread hope you get a answer

#3 Posted by Helushune (214 posts) -

I'd say take this to Tested and post in the forums, there's a lot of knowledge people there that don't really know this section of GB exists.  But, since I'm here... 

It sounds like it's overheating or might be a power issue.  Blue screens in Windows 7 are a pretty big deal and a sure-sign of something's wrong, this isn't Windows 95 where they're commonplace anymore.
The first step would be to disable the auto reboot so you can get the STOP code. 

Open your start menu, right click on "Computer" and select "Properties"...

No Caption Provided

Once the new window appears, click on "Advanced system settings" on the left hand side.
No Caption Provided
Click on the "Advanced" tab, then select the "Settings..." button under the "Startup and Recovery" section.
No Caption Provided
Uncheck the "Automatically restart" box and ensure the "Kernel memory dump" option is set.
No Caption Provided

This won't harm your computer but it will require you to manually reboot the machine when it blue screens.  The next time it does, there will be a STOP code.  It typically looks something like this:  0x000000C1.  Write it down and post it here; then the problem solving can begin.
#4 Posted by iDarktread (1263 posts) -
@Helushune: Alright, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to follow up.
Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
#5 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (870 posts) -
@Helushune:

That's a good trick. Couldn't he also get the stop code from the logs and dump files?
Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
#6 Edited by NoCookiesForYou (856 posts) -

Buzzing sound when playing games? I have that with my graphics card. Have you tried enabling V-Sync from your game options or driver software (Catalyst or Nvidia software)? That should atleast make it quieter. It's probably something called 'coil whine'. Pretty common in graphics cards. It isn't harmful or anything, you could try to RMA it if it really annoys you.

#7 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (856 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon said:
" @Helushune: That's a good trick. Couldn't he also get the stop code from the logs and dump files? "
Even better, if you did it like Helushune showed you. The next time you get a stop error (BSOD) it should write it in a .dmp file in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. You can then use Windows Debugger (WinDbg) software and try to locate the source of your crashes.
#8 Posted by Poki3 (570 posts) -

The fact that a computer makes a little bit more noise when playing games can be normal. Graphics cards fave fans that usually spin at mild speeds in windows, but when the card is heavily used (video games) they turn on to full speed to help with the cooling.
 "Buzzing sounds" however don't sound normal at all.

Getting the STOP code and the file where the error occurred would help pinpoint the problem, but I think it's a faulty graphics card. One of your fans is probably dieing. This should be easy to diagnose since you just look and listen at the fans. I'd run memory tests just to be sure. Hope it's not related to the motherboard :/

#9 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5452 posts) -

Yeah buzzing noises are the worst. I had that happen to me and it ended up being a bad stick of ram. Once I replaced the kit, my blue screen buzzers were gone. Of course I would just do what everyone is saying and get that all precious stop code. Hope we can figure it out. I hate that feeling of dread whenever your computer starts acting like it shouldn't.

#10 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (856 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85:  Totally, replaced my graphic card a while back because of it's buzzing. Had to wait 2 months to get an replacement part only to find out that it had the same buzzing dissorder as well.
#11 Edited by Helushune (214 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon: Possibly but the event log viewer in Windows 7 is so convoluted and messy, it can be hard to find if it was even logged properly; I've seen several cases where the system reboots before it's able to write a proper dump or event log and it's extremely frustrating.  This just eliminates any possible annoyance of not getting the proper information. 

@Verb4tim said: 

@TheKeyboardDemon said: 

@Helushune: That's a good trick. Couldn't he also get the stop code from the logs and dump files? "
Even better, if you did it like Helushune showed you. The next time you get a stop error (BSOD) it should write it in a .dmp file in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. You can then use Windows Debugger (WinDbg) software and try to locate the source of your crashes. "
^ Mostly this.  Doing a kernel debug is the most precise way to narrow down a problem.   He could run CoreTemp and CPU-Z to see if anything's overheating as well. 
#12 Posted by iDarktread (1263 posts) -
@Helushune: 0x0000001A 0x0000000000041790 0xFFFFFA8000C73F80 0x000000000000FFFF 0x0000000000000000 

My PC blue-screened on it's own, I restarted it after writing down these STOP codes. When I turned the computer back on, however, it made all kinds of beeping and clicking noises before shutting itself back off. I started it again, and it prompted me to put it in repair mode, but I actually just started it normally to see if it would work. It seems to be loading things slowly, though, and I'm not exactly sure what's up. 

I did look inside my computer, and it has gotten really dusty. Would you recommend I burst compressed air from a good distance away from the parts to clean them? 

I'd really appreciate a reply, and thanks for posting.
#13 Posted by iDarktread (1263 posts) -
@Verb4tim: @Poki3: @wolf_blitzer85: @TheKeyboardDemon: 0x0000001A 0x0000000000041790 0xFFFFFA8000C73F80 0x000000000000FFFF 0x0000000000000000 

There's the STOP error that I wrote down when my PC just blue-screened on it's own.
#14 Posted by Helushune (214 posts) -
@iDarktread: Taking a bottle of canned air to it wouldn't be a bad idea. 
That stop code indicates a memory management issue.  This could mean one or a few of the following things: 
*Outdated drivers 
*Components getting too hot 
*Ram faults 
*Memory controller going out 

How old is the machine or what are its specs? 

Download a program like CoreTemp and SpeedFan/HMonitor and keep an eye on the temperatures. 
Download and run MemTest86+ for a few hours.  I know this is included on several linux distro CDs such as Arch and Gentoo (you don't need to install linux to run it).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.