Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building my first PC. What games are absolutely essential?

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Farkas

Hi!

I'd say within about two weeks I'll have a crisp new 2060 to complete a PC I've been saving for and collecting parts for over the course of about 6 months. It's exciting! My question to you, the experts of the video games, is what games do I absolutely unequivocally need?

I have a wishlist that I've scraped together and I've covered a bunch of genres but I'm sure I'm missing some gems (and some essentials, let's be serious). Help? Please?

(also if you want to add me as a friend on steam i'd be real appreciative, i'm a nice boy, promise)

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Profile stuff private? Nothing showing up.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: I fixed the link to direct straight to my profile... steam is weird.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I always recommend Doom 2016 or Titanfall 2 as go-to graphical dingwhizzles to try out a new computer with!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TobbRobb

Jesus, that wishlist isn't enough? It's massive! That's enough to last years and years! But if you wan't to fill it out more, I'll do my best. LONG POST AHEAD!

Do you only take steam recommendations btw? Because I'd argue games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 2/3 are basically essential PC games. Same for checking out one of the MOBAs. Even if you don't waste your life on getting good at one, I think the genre is a major PC pillar at this point.

So I notice you have Bayonetta and DmC on there. But no DMC 4:SE or HD collection? Bayo is my favorite, but the DMC games are really worth getting, and they are great on PC. DmC is a weird one, because console is arguably the superior version (PC never got the definitive rerelease).

I notice you've put other games along those lines on, like Stellaris, Civ, Total War and stuff. But I think Crusader Kings II is a real unique gem of a game that's worth checking out. More about creating a story rather than being efficient/numbercrunchy.

You have Ikaruga on, which is easily my favorite shmup. But there's a bunch of other good ones on there. Mushihimesama is really hard but great, same people as Ikaruga. Jamestown is a solid one with an excellent ramp/learning curve which I wholly recommend to anyone who wants to get into the genre.

There's this cool time attack/speedrun focused shooter with a cute Katamari style aestehtic. It's called Lovely Planet and it's awesome.

If you haven't played it on your phone or w/e, then Super Hexagon is a fantastic simple arcade game.

On top of an already solid list of RTS games, I think Company of Heroes has a really solid campaign, and it feels very different compared to other games in the genre.

Dunno if you are interested, but modding the hell out of "insert bethesda RPG here" is quintessential PC games nonsense. Quite a lot of fun, even if it sometimes can feel a bit like work for the sake of work. I have a similar relationship with emulators. Sometimes it's just fun to configure and debug something until it works and then not play the game.

VA-11 Hall-A is a really cool little bartending game. It's really light on mechanics and more about soaking in some cyberpunk atmosphere and getting to know a solid small cast of characters.

If you haven't heard of Mount and Blade, then that's a weird thing to look into. It's kind of addicting. You just make a generic medieval person and then run around randomly generated towns trying to do whatever. Super sandboxy and freeform, and it has a lot of modding going on as well.

Frozen Synapse is a neat strategy/tactics game. It has the cool feature of letting you take your turn whenever, so you can have a game take all day if you and a friend take 2mins for a turn every once in a while during a work day or something. Almost like phone chess or word feud.

Pillar's of Eternity is great, but Baldur's Gate 2 is THE definitive classic in the genre. It holds up way better than you might think too. Just remember that lower numbers of AC (armor class) is better.

I really like this tactical stealth game called Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. It's a top down squad based game where you plan and set up stealth sequences to get all your characters through a mission.

Also looking at Exapunks on your list, you might also want to check out other Zachtronics games. I love Opus Magnum personally.

Welp, this got long. Hopefully you get something out of this. But I honestly just had fun looking through my library to find examples. <3

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Spelunky, Metal Gear Solid V & Ground Zeroes , Age of Mythology, Ori & The Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, Deus Ex 1 & Deus Ex Human Revolution. All the Bioshock games, perhaps Arkham City & Arkham Knight, Psychonauts, Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Monkey Island games, Brothers, The Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead season 1, Mark of the Ninja, Mini Metro, Prison Architect, GTA V, Witcher 2 & 3, Dark Souls 1 & 2, Hotline Miami, Xcom 2, Wasteland 2, Ziggurat, Max Payne franchise, FEAR franchise, Zeno Clash, Pacman Championship DX+, Bit.Trip Runner franchise, Hyper Light Drifter, Galak-Z, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, The Division, Dead Space franchise, Mass Effect franchise, Serious Sam franchise, Final Fantasy franchise, Brothers in arms franchise, Vampire the masquerade - Bloodlines .

I think i'll stop here :D Hopefully there are a few games listed that make you go ah yea!

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is giving me a headache! Too many games to list! I'm only going to throw a couple out because other people have this covered and a lot of the best PC games are on console too.

Stat Citizen, simply because it's only on PC and looks stunning. There's not much to do on it at the moment though.

Insurgency: Sandstorm. Only on PC, one of the best competitive multiplayer games around, in my opinion.

There are so many old games on Steam and GOG that I would recommend diving into. One of the best things about PC is that the catalogue goes back decades, and there are some absolute gems. Some of the best RPGs, shooters and strategy games ever are on PC and over 15 years old.

@farkas What kind of games are you into? It might be easier for people to recommend games if they can narrow it down to your tastes.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Farkas

Wow, y'all came through. Thank you!

I'm definitely not Steam agnostic, that was merely the easiest way to send out a list. I'm planning on getting games through Humble, GOG and playing the two games I have on Epic.

@the_greg: Honestly, I'll play pretty much anything outside of Dota, Overwatch and League. Genre-wise there isn't much I'll say no to. If it's good, I'm more than willing to give it a look.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoy have so many games on that list i dont think you need any more! Lol

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the older games on your wishlist are incredibly important from a historical standpoint, but they aren't always great to play these days if you don't have the nostalgia of originally playing them. For instance, GTA III, that's not a fun game to play today IMO.

Another important consideration, are you going to have a monitor or will you be hooking up your PC to your TV? Because some PC games, especially older ones plus almost everything Paradox puts out, have impossibly small text to read on a TV screen. Most games though, including all the big ones these days, scale appropriately and it isn't an issue.

As for newer games, you've got a good collection on your wishlist covering most genres, so it really depends on what you like. I'd suggest adding They Are Billions if you like base-building in your RTS games at all though; it's great.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fezrock: I'll have RTS and CRPGs on my monitor definitely and if I'm feeling froggy I'll hook it up to my TV whenever I shell out for Forza Horizon 4 and the like.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where you say that this is your first PC, have you never had any exposure to PC games in your life? That sounds more dramatic than I mean to, but you know what I mean.

If so, there are whole genre's that you'd have never even experienced. In this case, I would say check out World of Warcraft (MMO), Civilization V or VI (4x Strategy), and keep an eye out for the Warcraft III remaster that's en route (RTS). FPS's will feel radically different with a mouse and keyboard, as well, with my personal favorites being Overwatch and Destiny 2.

Otherwise, if the novelty of this new PC will simply be as a power-boost coming from consoles, then I could recommend the games that are graphical showcases. Like Rorie said, I'd also put DOOM 2016 at the top of that list with probably the recent Tomb Raider games as runner-ups.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is a huge list and a lot of older stuff that... may not have aged well. I love me some TIE Fighter, but if you never grew up playing it, the movement in those Star Wars games felt like you were a turret in a bubble.

For space shooters, I would start with Freespace 2. There is a huge modding community for it, and graphically modded original campaign is probably the best that genre and era have to offer. If you like that, then chase down the Wing Commanders and TIE Fighters.

I think New Vegas is awesome modded on pc. You don’t need to go over the top with those clean bodies. But, mods like making the Vegas Strip one big map along with texture mods, combined with near instant loads makes it feel like a different game.

I like weird B tier games like Dungeons 3 (fantasy bad guy dungeon management) and Spellforce (hybrid rts and rpg). I can lose hours in a Cities Skylines or Planet Coaster. Mount and a Blade is a game I should hate, but every once in a while I start a new campaign up and poof, I have sunk fourth hours into it.

interlude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I think New Vegas is awesome modded on pc. You don’t need to go over the top with those clean bodies. But, mods like making the Vegas Strip one big map along with texture mods, combined with near instant loads makes it feel like a different game."

Did this the other day. I have a mid-range i5-4760 with a GTX 960. Not chugging but definitely shuddering between 40-60fps. On top of that, FNV has a really simple .ini design. Good start for beginners in manual configuration.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max Payne.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: I've played a literal handful of PC games: original Doom, Wolf 3D, WOW, Rollercoaster Tycoon and Civ 5. I've had every Playstation so I've played quite a bit there (and I intend to emulate PS2/Wii).

Freespace 2 is a great idea. Elite seems like it's just too much unless that's one of 3 games you own.

Modded New Vegas is a good one too. Only played the choppy PS3 version.

Apparently my video card comes with a copy of Anthem, so that's cool I guess?

LifeQuixotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of great games listed already so I will just mention again Mass Effect and in particular if you add the HD texture mods to 1 & 2. It is pretty amazing what modders can do to 10 year old games... plus you can follow along with Mass Alex (if you are premium on GB). Welcome to pc gaming :)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Stanley Parable

Antichamber

DOOM

Divinity: Original Sin (1 or 2)

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By soulcake

Mount and blade is the weirdness you need in a pc line up. Big strategy games like a CIV V a Hearts of Iron, Crusader kings, Stellaris any thing with the paradox logo on is always a +. Grand Strategy is something unique to PC and i love it!

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Update! This is the slow build of my terrible, awful, beautiful backlog. Thanks everyone for the help.

I've been using Humble bundles, GOG and Kinguin (yeah, I know) until the big Steam summer sale rolls around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.