Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Buying a New PC Advice

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Eidderf

Hey so first things first I am not really a technical person when it comes to this sort of stuff so please excuse my ignorance.

Basically my PC is getting pretty old and apparently due to how it's built it can't really be upgraded any more by switching parts out so I'm looking to get a new one. I've been emailing around a few places that sell PC's in the UK and got a few different build options back, mostly I will be using this computer for gaming and for design work. I want to get a relatively good one that will last me at least a few years before I have to do anything for it.

Anyway here is my list of options at the moment (the ports and stuff is just for me since I use a tablet and a few other things so I want to keep track)

No Caption Provided

What of these do people think is the most reasonable, alternatively any advice on where else to buy PC's (keeping in mind I'm in the UK) or superior PC's at a similar price range would be much appreciated. I don't want to build my own PC if any one is going to suggest that since it's just not something I really want to get into.

Anyway, any advice would be great, thanks!

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd go with that one from MESH, with the Chillblast coming in at a close second.

The only reason I put MESH on top is the 6GB 1060, all the rest are 3GB or a worse model (1050). The processor is better on the Chillblast.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in, cause you might run into upgrade problems due to the socket on the MESH one.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

How important is storage to you? Having a SSD really makes a difference for your key applications (for gaming, that's more secondary; nice to have, but start with a SSD for your OS and other applications you use a lot). Everything except the UK Gaming Computers has a SSD, although the CCL Computers SSD is pretty damn small, especially since SSDs are now relatively inexpensive. MESH Computers looks about the most appealing between the 1060 GTX, 16 GBs of memory, a 250 GB SSD, and a 1 TB SSD. I was first drawn to the UK Gaming Computers spec, but then I realized that system didn't have an SSD, while the others did.

I would also probably stick with the best 4 core processor you can get, instead of going with a 6 core processor like the one with Chillblast.

So either the UK Gaming Computers or MESH Computers specs. Others might have more thoughts, but that's my take between those five.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: Thank you, considering my situation with my current PC that I can't upgrade that is a good thing to know about the port.

@mikewhy: Thanks, I'll be honest I was unclear about how the PC uses the SSD and I do run multiple applications (usually a few different adobe design programs) at the same time quite often and that has lead to some problems with my current PC so that's something good to keep in mind.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that MESH one is the best. An i5 that can be OC'ed and 1060 6GB for 900 quid is not unreasonable IMO.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By clagnaught

@eidderf: In case if you don't know, here is the short version about hard drives. Hard drive disks (HDDs) are mechanical drives. All of the data is stored on a platter that spins and the speed is measured by rotations per minute (RPM); so the higher the number, the faster it is. Data is also fragmented, meaning a file can be spread across different locations on a drive. By today's standards, HDDs are slower and may have more issues of malfunctioning, since this is a component with moving parts. (Edit: It's worth mentioning for storing a large amount of files like movies, pictures, music, documents, etc. HDDs are totally fine. SSDs are more expensive, while HDDs are cheap and can provide more space to store your files)

Solid state drives (SSD) basically use flash memory (similar to a USB drive) and have no moving parts. Data does not get fragmented and the speeds are universally faster than HDDs. Not all SSDs are the same (they have different speeds and different interfaces; i.e. how they hook up to the computer), but all you need to know is SSDs are just faster than HDDs. If your OS and other key applications are stored on an SSD, your boot time will be faster, applications will open more quickly, and some tasks will be performed faster. In your case, I would put the OS and whatever Adobe programs you use. You may not even want to put any games on the drive depending on how much space you have left.

Regarding the performance problems you mentioned on your current PC, this could also be related to the amount of memory or how good your processor is. These can also create bottlenecks in a couple of different ways, depending on the circumstance. If you are getting a system that has a better processor, memory, and an SSD for some of your key applications, you should get an overall performance bump, in addition to a better gaming experience.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StressedOutCat

They all seem overpriced for whats in them, all the intel cpu's ones are not even the latest yet the price for the systems seems excessive for parts that were released last year.

I am not saying build your own PC if you don't want to.. but perhaps look at other places as well before you buy anything.

Also CES is next week which usually means lot of new products announcement, which results that old products/versions will drop in price.

so wait a few weeks perhaps and check again.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MESH followed by UK Gaming. That being said, you can probably buy the parts yourself and save some money and have a friend build it for you or DIY by watching some Youtube tutorials. There are lots of great PC building channels out there like Paul's Hardware, Linus Tech Tips, Hardware Canucks, JayzTwoCents, and Bitwit. All of those channels have step-by-step build guides in detail. If you want to learn, which I think you should to save money, those are good places to start.

Giant Bomb friend of the site The Other Will Smith did a detailed PC build video for Tested.com several years ago in the old basement office that while a bit old is still totally relevant for PC building today with Intel CPUs.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe get a SSD for your OS. if you got the extra money.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eidderf

@clagnaught:Thank you for breaking it down for me, hopefully I can learn a little about this stuff during the process of getting a new one so maybe I could upgrade it myself next time instead of depending on pre-built ones.

@stonyman65: I'll check those videos out, honestly I'll still probably go with a pre-built one this time but I would like to learn to understand how to build one myself in the future. Thank you for the advice.

Thanks for everyone's input, it seems like the MESH one is the most popular selection so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.