Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Buying new pc gamepad.. Decisions D:

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I dropped my Logitech F710 on the floor and when i put the batteries back in it ceased to function :(

So i need to buy a new gamepad pretty much immediatly. My motherboard has bluetooth built in so i was thinking maybe just getting a PS4 controller, but i'm unsure if that's a hassle free option. I also looked at the Xbox One controllers and am unsure if they work wirelessly?

Which one is recommended for hassle free use on PC? I mostly want the PS4 form factor because my hands are small and i never liked Xbox controller setups, not sure how they are on the Xbox One, but i remember it being hard to reach some buttons on it years ago.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

A PS4 pad is still not natively supported so there is always going to be some fiddling required. If you had issues with the 360 controller being too big then in my opinion the XB1 controller is just slightly bigger so that would probably still be an issue. For a hassle free experience your best bet is to go to a Best Buy or a local electronic store with XB1 stations and hold the pad in your hands to get a feel for it.

I would almost suggest a third party controller over the PS4 pad if you don't want to be worried about problems with connecting and such.

xagefu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can also buy a wireless adapter for the pc for the xbox one controller, however unless it changed recently it only supports windows 10.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS4 controller is no longer a hassle. You simply need to download InputMapper, install it and make sure you set it to launch on windows startup. Can't help you otherwise I've been emulating 360pads with my PS3/PS4 controllers forever and don't see a better option considering I like the PS pads so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Xbox 360 or Xbox one controller since its Xinput and thats whats supported in most pc games.

I dont recommend a ps4 controller unless you want to deal with 3rd party programs to bypass the fact that it does not support xinput

There is also the steam controller but its bigger then the xbox controller

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks like your used to the Dualshock style of controller but for the ease of use I’d recommenced a 360 or X1 controller.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Dualshock 4, definitely. As long as your Bluetooth connection isn't rubbish though - I originally had a dirt cheap dongle which lagged badly with the DS4 but a £10 Asus one is perfect.

The third party software (I use DS4Windows) is unobtrusive and pretty reliable.

I had an F710 and liked it a lot until I built a windows 8 PC - The controller hated W8 and Logitech didn't seem bothered in upgrading the drivers so I eventually sold it. Don't know if it improved on W10 but my old Saturn USB pad, which refused to work on W8, now plays perfectly.

EDIT - My main pad is a wireless Xbone controller which I love but as you don't like the form factor I'm not gonna try and sell you on it. ;)

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm question on the Dualshock 4. Does the touchpad function at all? And where are the start and select buttons?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can, I would try a 360 controller again.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jennifyre: If functions like a trackpad through the driver software and can be configured in a number of different ways - Extra buttons, swipes etc.

The Start and Select (Options and Share, here) are either side of the touchpad.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'd go with the DS4. I have way more games in my steam library that don't work with the Xbox one pad than games that require any fiddling with ds4windows (and that fiddling consists of checking a box for exclusive mode). Not to mention it's just a much better controller than the Xbox one one.

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox One Controller with wireless adapter if you are Windows 10.

Xbox 360 Controller with wireless adapter if you are not on Windows 10.

/thread.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You want hassle free; go with the xbone controller. I can guarantee you will struggle with your built in bluetooth with everything from input lag to dropping the connection completely. I do prefer the DS4 myself too but really it's just a matter of getting used to it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Out of curiosity, do you sit close or far from your tower? I have my DS4 wired up to my PC and I never have any problems. Just set DS4Windows to start on boot and then use it exactly like I would a 360 controller, it's wonderful. Can't speak to how well your motherboard would keep a connection via bluetooth though.

The Xbox controllers need a dongle to work wirelessly, so that's an extra cost on top of the controller itself, unless you buy the wired controllers specifically for the PC. If you're gonna do that, though, I'd direct you back around to wiring your DS4 anyway.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Xbone controller is a good bet, or you can get a cheaper wired 360 controller for like $30-$35 bucks that works with just about everything.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: I find that I get more latency when the DS4's wired compared to Bluetooth.

@kahi: The Xbone dongle now supports Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. ;)

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By zombievac

I like the PS4 pad a lot better than the XBox ones, and for a long time I used a PS4 Controller with DS4Windows and it was great. No compatibility issues after the app was updated enough (though I think that one is essentially abandoned now, they won't fix some windows 10 issues last I checked cause the author essentially got pissed that microsoft made changes to the controller behavior in Windows 10 and he claims it's on them to change it back, which won't happen, LOL).

However, when the XBox Elite controller came around, I'm a tech whore so I had to get one, and MAN is that thing nice. I think almost anyone who puts enough investment in to have a decent gaming PC should save for one, they're really that nice and the extra triggers to map to any other button are a game-changer. Plus it's durable, so it won't wear out like other controllers. Get one if you can possibly swing it... I didn't like the size quite as much as a PS4 one either but I think the Elite is worth it for all the other features.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

DS4 is pretty darn hassle free for me on windows 10. Never had a problem with it once I started using exclusive mode, and InputMapper actually gives me configuration options I wouldn't have otherwise. Feel free to measage me about any questions you have about using the DS4 on PC. I'd be more than happy to help and/or explain anything.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By hassun
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Buy a racing chair.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if i'm using windows 10 is the dualshock 4 is a bad option? I did see they make mini xbox one controllers but not sure if those are compatible with PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I still have a 360 controller plugged up to my PC.

I bought a Dualshock 4 and used it for a while but it wasn't quite as seamless and it felt like there was a slight bit of input lag because it has to go through a third party program that emulates XInput stuff. But that could have just been me. It's certainly not a bad option, but don't be surprised if, at some point down the road, you have to look up a tutorial or ask someone online how to get it working with a certain game. You haven't been using a 360 or Xbox One controller, so I imagine you're probably used to that anyway.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By Wraithtek

@xagefu said:

You can also buy a wireless adapter for the pc for the xbox one controller, however unless it changed recently it only supports windows 10.

@kahi said:

/thread.

As of late last year, the Xbox One wireless dongle supports Windows 7 and 8.1.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jennifyre: DS4 is a perfectly fine option. People just seem to over-exaggerate their issues. If you're okay with keeping it plugged in to your tower, there's a program to download and install some drivers which takes about two minutes, and then you never have to think about it again. You can even customize the colour of your light bar with an RGB slider! You can use the trackpad as a mouse, set up custom profiles for each game, map keyboard functions to unused buttons... it's basically the single greatest piece of technology ever conceived tbh.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By teaoverlord

S T E A M C O N T R O L L E R

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also a big steam controller fan but it is a pretty niche product. DS4 with input mapper works well but I eventually started using my XBONE controllers for their native support in Windows 10.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: You say i have to keep it plugged in? Does that mean it's not wireless?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Devil240Z

Anyone have opinions on the current line of Logitech pads? I've been looking for a new PC pad as well.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jennifyre: it can be wireless if your PC has Bluetooth.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Here are my input delay readings according to DS4Windows.

Wireless (about 3 feet from the USB Bluetooth adapter)

No Caption Provided

Wired

No Caption Provided

Go bluetooth if you can. ;)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wii U Pro Controller with the MayFlash USB PC Adapter. Love it to death. The Wii U Pro Controller also has a great battery life unlike the PS4 pad.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#33  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I tried getting a DualShock 4 running wirelessly in Windows 7 and it was a nightmare. It will stay connected for roughly four seconds to my PC's bluetooth before shutting off, and in that time I have to dig through like three menus to click on a specific button to get it registered properly so it won't disconnect, and I can then use a third party program like DS4Tool to get it to properly function as a controller. I have to go through this process every single time I want to use the thing. If you're on Windows 10 it might be better, but if you're on 7 I'd recommend just getting some kind of Xbox controller.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've had no troubles getting a PS4 controller to work via bluetooth or USB using InputMapper. Your mileage may vary, however. Bluetooth is not standardised on Windows 7, so it might not work. USB works fine, though.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: Have you checked those same readings while playing a game? Thats usually when the input lag will start to falter over bluetooth (but stays the same over wired)

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jennifyre: It can be Bluetooth, and by the looks of things it seems that there's even less input lag that way. I was just recommending wireled for ease of use purposes, but you did mention your PC has built-in bluetooth capability so that's definitely an option for you as well. Either way, though, it's a very simple and painless process.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@bson: Just for you, I've launched 3 or 4 games with DS4Windows wired and wireless and the readings are exactly the same as I posted. ;)

Now, I'd say a native x-input wired pad would have less input lag than the same wireless one but the DS4 is jumping through a wrapper. Maybe it's that which gives wired performance a hit? My figures aren't uncommon either - I'd seen it mentioned online before I even hooked my controller up for the first time.

EDIT - I'm running Windows 10.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox one. It's a nice controller and almost no games on pc have playstation button UIs

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

360 pad or One should be most straightforward. Plug in and forget (dependent on the price difference go for the former or the later).

If you don't mind running 3rd party tools in the background the PS4 pad should be fine as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is wireless a necessity (are you on a couch or are you sitting at a desk where cabling a controller is not a big deal)? If not, I would recommend Xbox One (the Elite version is great if you have the budget). DS4 is great too but it comes down to personal preference.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kahi said:

/thread.

I'm using a 360 wireless controller with Windows 10 and it's fine.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ravelle said:
    @kahi said:

/thread.

I'm using a 360 wireless controller with Windows 10 and it's fine.

Pretty sure kahi didn't know that they added XB1 wireless adapter support to older versions of Windows.

XB1 controller is so good. I feel like getting used to the layout wouldn't be that big of a deal.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heads up the ps4 controller doesn't work with darksouls II scholar of the first sin it has a weird bug where you keep spinning around.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jennifyre

Ended up buying a DS4. I really like how small and comfortable it ufeels but it's not perfect. Seems to require a bit of setting up before it works in all games. Was presently surprised to have it work in ffxiv natively though

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: I experienced this issue and then had it fixed by using exclusive mode with input mapper. Everything is perfect now \o/

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jennifyre: Yeah, a few games have those kinds of issues. Sometimes it's some input constantly firing, sometimes it's double inputs, but generally putting the thing into exclusive mode does the trick.

mindatlarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

I don't think you can go wrong with a cheap wired 360 controller for new games, games that don't require a good d-pad or just use analog controls. You're talking like $30USD for that. Then for retro games, I use a "Fighting Commander" from Hori. Sweet pad for emulation. 6 buttons on the face and a nice d-pad as well. The states got an oddly shaped one, but you can import one for like $30USD as shown in the pic. For like $60 you got yourself two controllers that will fill pretty much any need you'll have with no worries about driver issues. As long as wireless isn't a must, I really like these two for PC gaming.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By John1912

I just use a PS4 controller, with the USB cable. Dload input mapper to get it to work. Its really not hard to get running. No idea how or if it works wirelessly. I dont have bluetooth.

TheMadMan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used a 360 gamepad for the last few years and thought it was the best controller ever designed. When the Xbox1 came out, I was so excited for a better made controller.. but the bumpers were atrocious and I basically didn't use my xbox1 for anything because of the issues I had with the bumpers. Apparently they fixed them sometime last year, and that was perfect. Combine that with a wireless adaptor and it's the best controller setup you can have. If you have the money for it, the Elite controller is a Godsend and amazingly perfect in how its just a more well built and sturdier controller. I have zero regrets getting one. It's nice to be able to save two different configurations to the controller, and switch them on the fly. Like playing games with my girlfriend where we pass back and forth and can have the sticks inverted by the switch of a button instead of pausing and going through menus to invert every time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.