Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

casual computer gamer looking to upgrade need advice

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By charliesheen22

I want to upgrade my computer so I can play a few games, not much, mostly TF2, CS:S, Minecraft, that sort of stuff, nothing groundbreaking, but to be completely honest my computer that I thought could handle it runs most source games like shit. I need some advice on what I can do to make it better. I have 4gb of ram, so I don't think I can do much about that. I think it's my graphics card, I haven't upgraded from the one that came with the computer, an intel  g33/g31 chipset family card. is it the graphics card that needs upgrading? or is there some other way I can get more out of my system. 

Thanks in advance guys

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mrhankey

what you just listed as a graphics card is an integrated graphics chip on the motherboard. If we're talking about a desktop pc, i'm guessing one built over the past five years, you won't need much. However if this is a laptop we're talking about then---I have no advice. Anyways, to run those games: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500187

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By charliesheen22

sorry I'm mostly an ignorant console gamer :p 

and yea, it's a desktop

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By fattony12000

Whatever you do, don't get a GeForce FX 5200.

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By charliesheen22

how about a radeon hd 5570? that's what I'm looking at right now

bman3737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By bman3737

I don't have much advice in terms of graphics cards (just go with one that's in your price range and one that has good reviews), but I'd like to ask what processor you are using.  If your processor is too slow, upgrading your GPU won't have a massive effect on performance.

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By charliesheen22

I have an intel pentium dual cpu e2200 @2.20 GHz 

sorry if I put any superfluous information, I just put whatever I thought was pertinent

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlasherMan
    @charliesheen22 said:
    how about a radeon hd 5570? that's what I'm looking at right now
    If you get that, make sure its the GDDR3 version. I'd probably add a few dollars and a get a 5670 instead. 
    Either of those would satisfy your needs.
    reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By reddin

@charliesheen22: Just getting a proper graphics card should be enough to get to gaming. Intel graphics chips are notorious for being useless for gaming.

Whichever card you decide to get, make sure your power supply is able to handle it, otherwise you might end up with an unstable system.

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By charliesheen22
    @reddin: how would I know if my power supply can handle the graphics card I'm going to purchase?
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlasherMan
    @charliesheen22: Depends on the card's power draw and your power supply's capacity. Lower end cards like the 5570 and 5670 do not consume more than 50-60W at full load, and don't even require a power connector, so those should be fine with any 250-300W PSU, which is what you most likely have.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By fox01313

You might also carry this post on to tested to get some other tech answers from people that might miss this post here.  As for the power supply if it came with the PC it's probably not going to be enough to handle many graphic cards as every stock desktop pc i've bought (from brands like compaq & hp) all had rather dinky power supplies, luckily the power supplies aren't that expensive, you'll have to check to see what will work with whatever case you have.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No matter what you buy, your going to be bottlenecked by that shit processor. That means you can't go to something like gtx 460 1gb because it's too powerful for your card. Maybe get a hd 5770, anything more you won't see a single frame more. I would of recommending a gts 450, but that's too weak, then again maybe it's okay for your pc. Also get a new psu, to find out just open the side of your case and look. Get something that's 500 watts and up. 

To put in a new psu, just take the corrosponding wires out and put the new one in. then screw in the new psu. It's not difficult once your try it. If you didn't do that one at a time, you have to start all over and figure everything out.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devildoll

before we go any further , i think we should get your computers full specification. if it is a brand computer

find out the modelnumber or serial number , that way we could probably get the full spec of the manufacturers website.

or , you could download a couple of info/diagnostic programs that will tell you what you got under the hood.

cpu-z what i would like to know is the following parameters.

• CPU - Name
    • Mainboard - Manufacturer , Model , Chipset
    • Memory - Type , Size , Channels , DRAM frequency
    • Graphics - GPU Name - Memory Size

for the powersupply , you need to open your case and read the label on the side of the powersupply 

(click for larger image)

the important bits here are the watts (W) or amps (A) for all 12 volt rails  , some power supplies have 1 rail , some have 4,  just write down as many as you have.
     and the maximum combined wattage is also of interest.
    Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devildoll
    @rebgav: a c2d or c2q can drive graphics cards much more powerful than a 5670 though.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Devildoll said:
    @rebgav: a c2d or c2q can drive graphics cards much more powerful than a 5670 though. 
    Not the guy's current CPU, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.