Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

considering upgrading, need to know if its worth it.

nixatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nixatron

im considering upgrading my CPU. right now it is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor  5600+ running at 2.8 ghz. i think this is a bit aged but i really dont know. My motherboard is Asus m2n32 sli premium. i dont think a brand new processor will fit in to the socket but i just want a little upgrade. If i do this will i notice an improvement in how my games run on my computer?

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Figure out what is bottle-necking your game performance; GPU, ram or CPU. Your CPU sounds alright for average performance in the games currently going around but you may want to look at upgrading in half a year or so.

jonesrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jonesrm

Upgrading your CPU is rarely an effective route to take.  I would focus first on RAM. You need at least 2 GB for games, although 4 GB would be an optimal amount. Once you get above 6 GB, your returns start to diminish drastically. Your motherboard can handle up to 8 GB assuming that you are running a 64-bit OS. A somewhat recent video card isn't a bad idea. I would go to tomshardware.com and look up their monthly list of best video cards for the money. This month the card in the lowest price bracket was an ATI Radeon HD 4650 for ~$50. Even a relatively lower end card like that can still play most games at medium to high settings on normal-person resolutions.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno
    @jonesrm said:
    " Upgrading your CPU is rarely an effective route to take.  I would focus first on RAM.
    Er, unless you're looking at 2GB RAM, RAM is rarely a bottleneck. The first bottleneck for games is the GPU, followed by the CPU. A good GPU will not function without a good CPU either.  

For the OP, I think that you should upgrade to the AM3 platform and get at least a triple core CPU. Socket AM2 chips (the type that you're currently using) aren't being manufactured anymore and are much slower in comparison. 
    nixatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nixatron
    @Fragstoff:  i just got a new graphics card in december. i got the ATI 5870 so i think im good in that department 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

What amd cpus does your mobo support? Does it support am2, am2+ and amd3?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By korwin

I'd be turfing that CPU, the Athlon X2 is long past it's use buy date and will pretty much bottle neck any new card you may happen to through in the box.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

It's always worth upgrading a computer, in my book.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @nixatron said:
    " im considering upgrading my CPU. right now it is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor  5600+ running at 2.8 ghz. i think this is a bit aged but i really dont know. My motherboard is Asus m2n32 sli premium. i dont think a brand new processor will fit in to the socket but i just want a little upgrade. If i do this will i notice an improvement in how my games run on my computer? "
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"
    That motherboard supports the modern Phenom X3 and X4 and Phenom II CPUs in AM2+ packages.  I Think that would be your best bet, something like the Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition would be a good upgrade.   How much RAM do you have?
    nixatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nixatron
    @SeriouslyNow: i have 4 gigs of ram, witch i thing is pretty good for right now. correct me if im wrong, but a friend told me that i need 64 bit software to run more than 4 gigs of ram. 

thanks for your comment it will help a lot
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @nixatron:
    Glad to help.  You'll need a 64bit OS, like Windows XP, Vista or 7 'x64' to be able to access all of your 4GB of RAM at once.  32bit versions of Windows can only access a total of 4GB of RAM (2^32)but almost half a gigabyte is lost due to having to address your motherboard, graphics card and other attached system devices (everything in Windows or any modern OS is accessed via address maps, kinda like how people's houses have addresses so you know how to get to them or send them stuff) so that leaves around 3.5GB of actually usable RAM.  64bit Operating Systems can address up to 18Terabytes (2^64) of RAM but most common motherboards have a 16GB limit.  As you have only 4GB RAM at present you'll only need to go to a 64bit OS like Windows 7 x64 if you want to increase the amount of RAM past 4GB.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12  Edited By mrhankey
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @nixatron said:
    " im considering upgrading my CPU. right now it is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor  5600+ running at 2.8 ghz. i think this is a bit aged but i really dont know. My motherboard is Asus m2n32 sli premium. i dont think a brand new processor will fit in to the socket but i just want a little upgrade. If i do this will i notice an improvement in how my games run on my computer? "
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"
    That motherboard supports the modern Phenom X3 and X4 and Phenom II CPUs in AM2+ packages.  I Think that would be your best bet, something like the Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition would be a good upgrade.   How much RAM do you have? "
    The processor this guy recommended is pretty awesome. I recently built a pc for a friend based on the Phenom X4 955, kick ass is all I have to say.  

Are you trying to make games faster or just your pc? 

If games, what type of graphics card do you have? 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @mrhankey:   You may have missed it but he said he's got a 5870.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By DCFGS3

Hmm, then it does sound like a CPU bottleneck, also coodos for getting 5870 in december, they weren't manufacturing enough to supply Australia, so I've had to settle for a 4980. But I'm afraid I don't know too much about AMD cpus.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15  Edited By mrhankey
    @SeriouslyNow: 
    My bad, then I would definitely go with the AMD Phenom X4 955 edition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.