Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

From consoles to pc

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Looking to make the switch from console (Xbox One and PS4) to PC.

Zalman case / FX-8350 / 16GB Ram

1TB HDD + 256GB SSD / 290X 4G

DVD-RW / Windows 8

That is the PC im looking at. Mainly after one to play stuff I missed out on such as Batman Arkham series, XCOM, GTA 5, Dark Souls, Marvel Heroes

Whilst also being able to play newer stuff like WWE 2k15, Arkham Knight, XCOM 2, Phantom Pain

Guys I work with say its a good PC and well worth getting. Those are the only specs the site offered. Theyve helped me with understand specs and say I wont have a problem running anything.

Looking for some opinions on this setup. I lack the knowledge and confidence to build one from scratch so I just want something that'll get me up and running with few limitations

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is this a PC you're buying from someone else, pre-built, or one you spec'd together? I couldn't tell from the post. What's the price if pre-built?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Giant_Gamer

-Instead of fx 8350 you can buy fx 8320 and OC it to get the same performance.

-If you running on 1080p then i suggest you buy gtx 970 instead of amd 290x.

-As for the ram, i don't think that you need more than 8 gb to play a game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

@bleedingstarx: Without knowing some of the specifics such as which motherboard and brand of parts there are being used...I just spent a few minutes on pcpartpicker.com and determined that I could build virtually that exact PC for $920. That price includes everything you have listed, plus an appropriate PSU and a copy of Windows 8, but no monitor, speakers, mouse, or keyboard. On that stuff you can spend as much or as little as you want, depending on what it is you want out of each peripheral. I erred on the side of inexpensive/cheaper hardware to more closely match a prebuilt, because in all likelihood, almost any prebuilt PC you find is going to be using the cheapest options possible, or close to it. Here is the link to the build so you can see it for yourself.

This configuration you have listed is definitely one way you could go amongst many, and it will have no problem running the games you listed. However, I just wanted you to have a baseline price of what all of those parts actually cost compared to whatever it is the site that is selling it is charging. Whether or not you think the premium they are charging is worth it or not is up to you, but building your own PC really isn't that difficult. Not to mention that you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself, and when issues arise or it comes time to change out parts or upgrade down the road, you'll have the knowledge and experience to handle it yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.