Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good games for short breaks

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By trylks

I am searching for a PC game that I can play in short periods of time. For example, FTL is great, but I have been playing it for the last two years and I could use some other game now. Good characteristics:

1. It is a good game, and not addictive like heroin (e.g. I may prefer not to try HearthStone)
    2. Executes windowed (on a window, not using the full desktop), it's easy to alt-tab and do something else. No controller needed.
    3. Easy to pause at any time (in fact, all the time), and issuing commands while paused is possible (mini metro is also good, I have it on the phone). Turn based may be good too.
    4. It is playable even when being near braindead. Sure, it takes attention and decision making, but reflexes and skills with the controls are not necessary.
    5. Separate battles/events so it is easy to stop a "session" anytime.
    6. Starts fast, and does not require many resources (so I do not have to close everything else on my computer)

FTL may be unique in these traits, but before giving up on searching for a substitute, I thought I would ask. Recommendations of Android games are welcome, but I have given up on searching in that area.

Thank you.

BTW: I do not like Into the Breach, it seems to involve too much thinking between turns.

PS: if there is nothing I will just embrace full fledged games like StarCraft 2, when possible (hopefully by November...)

PD: Browser based games could also be suitable, I do not think there is anything good there either.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Try Darkest Dungeon, maybe.

Oxygen Not Included is another good one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe SNES emulation or something... Maybe. Just saying, it pretty much fits what you want I think.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dungeons of Dredmor

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slay the Spire seems like a good fit.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Two great turn-based strategy games you could try are Invisible, Inc. or any of the new Shadowrun Returns series, I think Shadowrun: Dragonfall might be my favourite? Being strategy games they do require a bit of thinking though in my experience not as much as Into the Breach except for some really crazy turns on Invisible Inc.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to add 'renowned explorers: international society'. I think I got it in a Humble Bundle, and somehow ended up spending around 40 hours on it.

KakashiObito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love playing Prince of Pesia Warrior Within when I'm free or get a short break. It's really an awesome game.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crypt of the Necrodancer? It may not be something that's playable when Braindead though, but at least you get to hear that sweet 1-1 theme over and over.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ironcast is a good run based match 3 game with a steampunk setting. Low requirements and not a whole lot of thought needed, basically Puzzle Quest x FTL.

Stardew Valley might suit but it's addictive as sin and many of the goals are long term, having said that each day lasts ~15mins, there's no real pressure to get anything done in a hurry and it's simple to play.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I saw this thread title and thought it was another place to talk about how awesome Picross 3D: Round 2 is. Sadly I then read the PC part.

In terms of recommendations Rogue Legacy is a lot of fun and runs can be pretty quick. Rocket League is also great and games only last 5 minutes.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By millionthlayla

If you're interested in something a bit more niche, I'd recommend SkyBoats. It's a single-player, turn-based, randomly-generated strategy board game that gets progressively harder as you rank up. The concept is...pretty strange, but it's very easy to learn. You pick up goods with your sky boats and deliver them to towns, which earns you victory points, and each round the value of the goods changes. Where it gets weird is each good has a wind pattern that can be placed on the board that your boats can ride on, thus saving you fuel. There's also a bunch of different cargo abilities to gain that, when used efficiently, can help you gain more victory points. Each game only takes a few minutes to play, and it's simple but satisfying. Also, you can save and quit at any time, and it can be played in a window.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spelunky

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Oobir

Fotonica is a good 3D endless runner, so it has basically one-button controls, and is a low-impact game mentally. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is also good for short sessions, but it may require a bit more of your attention than you'd like. If you're able to get past how intimidating it looks at first, Crusader Kings 2 is probably my favorite "in-between" game. Most of it is spent sitting around and waiting, and even the action is basically pushing numbers around on a spreadsheet in the form of little armies clashing.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oobir: I think CK2 might break the rule of starting up quickly. I suspect this is a laptop scenario.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slay the Spire has been named once, but I’m going to say it again. The difficulty is pretty malleable with the ascension mode so you can make it as difficult as you want. You can save mid-run and it’s turn based, so there’s no stress about quitting the game in a bad spot.

There’s a daily run mode that add modifiers every day, I’ve been playing mostly that and I’m enjoying it tremendously. You can’t save during them though, so be warned (a run is about 45 minutes long without the fast mode option).

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lineman60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lineman60
    totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Slay the Spire is very good, but maybe a bit long, as soon as you get good it lasts more than 1h easily for each run.

Papers, Please.

Spelunky.

Downwell.

Ziggurat.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Shadow Warrior 2, each mission takes about 30 minutes tops.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.