Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX 1080 Just Announced

• 110 results
    Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

NVidia just has a little presser event that showed there new video card with the new Pascal technology. Spouting numbers showing that it is twice as powerful as a Titan X at 3 times the efficiency. With all the specs they showed is this gonna make anyone wanna upgrade? Is this huge and super exciting for anyone?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Depends on the price, i just got a 980 last year and it's fine at 1080 but i just got a 4k tv though.....If it can get 60fps max at 4k then i'll probably try and upgrade and sell my old card, if it's anything lower than that i'll wait till the next batch regardless.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@zurv I'll give you 50 bucks for one of your Titan X's.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spence_5060

They priced it at $599 MSRP and will be released on May 27

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By vortextk

....Not this year. I don't think I can do it. But next year, this 7950 is going to get a massive upgrade.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The 1080 is too rich for me, but I'm eyeballing that 1070... waiting for reviews to determine if that's a worthwhile upgrade from my 970.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1070 looks to be beast mode for 1440p, and supposedly faster than a titan x as well(but not as much) and at the same price as a 970....and they are both going take less power than a titan and a 980ti.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By conmulligan

I hope OEMs are quick to market. I'd like to get a 1080 soon as, but NVIDIA's reference coolers tend to be piss poor.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By John1912

Wow that sounds pretty fucking amazing! And $599 isnt too bad, not fucking cheap, but not insane either. Im kinda tempted to get a Vive at some point, and my GTX 770 wouldnt cut it for VR. Though kinda sucks as I bought that card couple years ago. It is really tempting to get one, but Id prob tough it out with the 770, least till the end of the year. That is a crazy improvement in performance!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

I was seriously debating dropping 600 on a 980ti so this sounds delicious. And holy crap that is soon. Mein poor wallet.

Fucking 8350 better not bottleneck it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Why do they call it the 1080? Because when you see it, you turn around three times and walk away.

Err, but seriously, I'll probably build a new computer sometime within the next year. So, I'll probably get one these then.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok well, i'm thinking about that 1070 now. 379 vs 599 I'll have to see how these things benchmark!

I was seriously debating dropping 600 on a 980ti so this sounds delicious. And holy crap that is soon. Mein poor wallet.

Fucking 8350 better not bottleneck it.

8350 at 4.2ghz bottlenecked my 980

:-(

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: FUCK.

i keep hearing conflicting reports, that it can't possibly be a bottleneck vs always bottlenecking. My r9 290 tends to hover at around 30-50% usage though.

Maybe wait a few months save and upgrade the whole damn thing would be the best move.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: thats what i ended up doing, i got a 6600k and 8gb ddr4. games that used to drop to 30-40fps randomly now run at 60 or close to it. It did work fine with most games though, it was just anything that had anything demanding on the cpu. It always felt like a crapshoot to know what performance i would get.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Franstone

Totally shocked on the price. Real curious to see what AMD has up their sleeve before I start making choices though.
    Exciting times!

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As someone with an almost-year-old overclocked 980ti, this seems too soon and not enough. But, that just means when the 1180 comes out and I'm ready to upgrade, it will be even more amazing. Hell, at that point it'll run five games at once instead of three! (Nobody needs to do that!!!)

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone with an almost-year-old overclocked 980ti, this seems too soon and not enough. But, that just means when the 1180 comes out and I'm ready to upgrade, it will be even more amazing. Hell, at that point it'll run five games at once instead of three! (Nobody needs to do that!!!)

A single card that runs faster then two 980s in SLI is not enough? Thats an insane bump in performance.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a 970 last year and I'm not yet seeing games where it isn't enough. My gaming upgrade in the next year or so will probably be looking into getting a PS4 or an NX, then I'll look into bolstering my PC gaming again. I had a 660Ti from 2012 to 2015, so I'll probably use the 970 from 2015 to 2018. Good to see these Pascal cards are finally coming out though.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm going to get a 1080 for my first PC build, what is the best place to start to get a viable build together where everything works together and such?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I knew how to build PC's, I might think about it. I'm surprised by the price. Putting out a more powerful GPU that costs less than one that's less powerful? They're also doing the 1070, which seems like a fine choice as well.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to get a 1080 for my first PC build, what is the best place to start to get a viable build together where everything works together and such?

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Franstone
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: This works well in letting me know if things are compatible and shit?

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a Vive this week and I don't think my 460 is going to cut it. Getting a 1080 or 1070 for sure.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't recall the twice as powerful as titanx part but this is mostly what was expected. Devalue last gen, worse and worse the more you paid, and drop power consumption. I'm a little surprised by the sub 200w tdp for the 1080 though, that's pretty impressive. Depending on how things turn out sli 1070's might be really cool.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: This works well in letting me know if things are compatible and shit?

Yea, pick a item, and it will pull a list of items that work with what your buying.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait until the Australian prices come out. If the price on the 1070 is reasonable, I foresee myself selling my 970 and buying myself one of those.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

It was a good thing I waited a bit before I became super serious about building my next gaming PC. That looks like a fine card.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By VooDooPC

I don't recall the twice as powerful as titanx part but this is mostly what was expected. Devalue last gen, worse and worse the more you paid, and drop power consumption. I'm a little surprised by the sub 200w tdp for the 1080 though, that's pretty impressive. Depending on how things turn out sli 1070's might be really cool.

The "twice as powerful as a Titan X" is just for VR because of the new multiscreen stuff they mentioned. According to the chart they showed (with no real numbers) a Titan X is about a 3.5 in normal games and a GTX 1080 is about a 4.5. That's like, 25% faster? If those numbers actually mean anything.

I'll have to see the real benchmarks before I decide to get one or not. It's this or an Oculus Rift.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It all comes down to final benchmarks - I'm still going solid with my R9 290 from a couple of years back (it's old but still performs as well as a 970 and meets VR spec), so the 1080/1070 have to really do well in the 4k / Ultrawide-1440p space to get me to pick one up instead of waiting for the 1080Ti or Titan.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the support for it. Why bother replacing my 780 if none of the upcoming games look that appealing?

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mirado

Remember to wait for actual game benchmarks before cracking open your piggy banks; these cards are going to be better than the last gen, obviously, but until I see hard FPS/timing numbers, it's tough to say if we're looking at a 10% bump, or more like a 25-30%, and if a single card can hit a breakpoint like 4k/60. Don't determine what you need beforehand.

@franstone said:
    @voodoopc said:
    @maginnovision said:

The "twice as powerful as a Titan X" is just for VR because of the new multiscreen stuff they mentioned. According to the chart they showed (with no real numbers) a Titan X is about a 3.5 in normal games and a GTX 1080 is about a 4.5. That's like, 25% faster? If those numbers actually mean anything.

I'll have to see the real benchmarks before I decide to get one or not. It's this or an Oculus Rift.

Just sent this to a buddy of mine because I doubted the accuracy of what I said to him about the 2x performance of Titan X.

https://www.facebook.com/TweakTown/photos/a.100709854941.112819.49650744941/10154835742849942/?type=3&theater

It says VR on the left side of the image, right next to the guy's head.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NeoCalypso

Forget the new cards, I'm actually really hoping this means sub $200 970s now.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By maginnovision

Ok yea, for VR that makes sense. The multi viewport is really cool, I wonder how they're managing that. If only someone had the code... Or a design spec or something. I kind of doubt it affecting normal multi-monitor users the way they showed other than for VR though. You need to do measurements for that, maybe you could just implement as a slider where it translates along cos,sin, still just an estimate then. Who knows.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm about to build a completely new rig so this is fantastic news on that end. The annoying part is this means I'm gonna have to wait an extra month to actually build it.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see benchmarks as much as the next guy. But coming from a GTX 750Ti, the 1070 alone looks like a huge upgrade for me at a price I'm willing to shell out for a new GPU.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:

@gruebacca said:

A single card that runs faster then two 980s in SLI is not enough? Thats an insane bump in performance.

I'd sure hope it's faster than two of those. It's been almost 20 months since the 980 released.

But to answer your question, I can't afford to buy a super video card every year, especially one that isn't even twice as powerful as the one I have. Also, I'm still pretty satisfied with it. I'll hold out another year or two for a card that's quadruple the performance before I spend another $600-$700 bucks.

That said, the power efficiency and the new software for these cards sound very exciting, all the more so when the 1180 comes out!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The 1070 is $379 and out in June. I'm betting performance isn't far off my 980ti in non-VR stuff and at a fraction of the price.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, now i feel stupid for buying a 980ti just last month.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By rethla

Heres an maybe not 100% reliable benchmark but its showing 1080 roughly 25% faster than a stock 980ti. Not superimpressive considering its just barely faster than the third party overclocked 980ti cards. Its also running at super high frequenzy so it basicly just looks like an hugely overclocked 980ti.

http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks

BigSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BigSpoon

I'm curious as to the price drop (if any) on the 970. I really need to upgrade from my 270x.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Twice the performance of Titan X at half the cost? Hot damn.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

Heres an maybe not 100% reliable benchmark but its showing 1080 roughly 25% faster than a stock 980ti. Not superimpressive considering its just barely faster than the third party overclocked 980ti cards. Its also running at super high frequenzy so it basicly just looks like an hugely overclocked 980ti.

Then theoretically an OC'ed 1080 would be much faster, no?

I thought the whole idea behind the pascal was better performance that uses a whole lot let less power, meaning OC potential should be pretty damn high. Also this being a post VR card means it's been designed to work much better with the hardware should you care about that sort of thing.

Personally i'm still waiting for something epic to really blow me away before I invest in any of this stuff. (and i've had bad luck lately buying PCs)

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ivdamke

Can't wait to see the benchmarks because this is what I'm gonna have to hand over for it. My 970 is still working perfectly fine for the moment though, but that 1440p at a decent framerate is mighty enticing.

No Caption Provided

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'm still using a bloody 560ti, so it's definitely time to upgrade. That 1070 looks like the thing to get, but if I can get a used 970 or 980 on the cheap I might go that way as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a
    deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This means i can finally buy a 980 as they should drop to mid tier price now \o/

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By newmoneytrash

@adequatelyprepared: yeah, same here. i can see it being a lot closer to 1k which is half of what the rig i got ten months ago is

i only have a 970 but I'm glad i didn't pay the extra now. that 1080 looks insane

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to buy it so badly but I just can't justify it for myself right now. My OC WC 980 is doing dang well for me with every game I play, and until I start noticing any subpar FPS with stuff I play, my brain won't let me spend that money.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@boozak said:
    @rethla said:

Then theoretically an OC'ed 1080 would be much faster, no?

I thought the whole idea behind the pascal was better performance that uses a whole lot let less power, meaning OC potential should be pretty damn high. Also this being a post VR card means it's been designed to work much better with the hardware should you care about that sort of thing.

Personally i'm still waiting for something epic to really blow me away before I invest in any of this stuff. (and i've had bad luck lately buying PCs)

Well yes but its still hardly better than cards that is already on the market, Just $100 cheaper and thats it. Also if 1000Mhz (2000 instead of 1000) extra only gives them 20-25% more performance it remains to be seen how good the GTX1080 OC cards will be and how easy it will be to overclock. It seems much less efficient per Mhz than GTX980/980ti. But this is after all an performance benchmark from an unconfirmed source so its just speculations ;)

"Designed for VR" seems like something the marketing division come up with and i wouldnt bet on that particular slogan being more than words.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.