GTX 1080 Price drop... suggested builds please

#1 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

Title says it all. I was looking at GTX 1070 builds for 1080p gaming on a TV but now the GTX 1080 has had a decent price drop, decided to look a little deeper into it since a GTX 1070 would need an upgrade anyway in preparation for my next big purchase - a 4K TV.

Budget is £1300 for the PC Only, no Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse and I am set on the GTX 1080 despite only (Currently) having a 1080p TV on which I will be doing all my gaming. I intend on getting a PC which will last me for 5/6 years with a TV and possibly a cheaper 1440p monitor being the only upgrade I need during that time. (Yeah I know I'm dreaming but work with me...) Would be sweet to have change for a STEAM controller but not essential.

Pre-built links from PC building companies also accepted with thanks if it is under budget and runs as well as a home build would. Never built before but relish the challenge!

Final note:- looks aren't everything... how it works is my priority.

Thanks in advance

#2 Posted by dgtlty (589 posts) -

Not sure if you've checked out PCPartPicker before but it's an incredibly useful resource for pricing your components and viewing completed builds (you could filter by your budget and GTX 1080 to get an idea of what's possible).

#3 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@dgtlty: Yes I have, but I'm so new to this I am more looking for friendly advice as to what is most compatible with what, and what will last over what won't! But will definately go back and check out existing builds to compare to, thanks.

#4 Posted by nnickers (261 posts) -

I'm not familiar with the price drops so I don't know how the 1070 and 1080 compare at this point, but you may be better off getting a cheaper GPU now (that will still handle your current 1080p tv fine) and then later put the money you save by buying a cheaper card toward the next generation of GPUs. Either the 1070 or 1080 will be hugely overpowered for 1080p, but most reviewers still don't think the 1080's are quite up to par for native 4k output. So if you're looking for a 4k machine that will last you 5-6 years, the parts required may simply not exist yet.

Per Anandtech's GTX 1080/1070 review:

With all of that said, let’s get down to the business of numbers. By the numbers, GeForce GTX 1080 is the fastest card on the market, and we wouldn’t expect anything less from NVIDIA. I’m still on the fence about whether GTX 1080 is truly fast enough for 4K, as our benchmarks still show cases where even NVIDA’s latest and greatest can’t get much above 30fps with all the quality features turned up, but certainly GTX 1080 has the best chance.

#5 Posted by Falconer (2053 posts) -

If you don't fully intend on getting a higher resolution display, you'll be throwing money out the window. Period.

#6 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

Are you going 1440p or 4k? 1440p the 1080 will be what you want, but 4k you want a 1080ti. The 1070 is great too though, but wont last you 5 or 6 years 60fps at 1440(maybe none of them will lol).

My EVGA ftw is great, but it supposedly had heat issues. I am satisfied with it.

#7 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@nnickers: This was my original thinking, my basic understanding being that the 1080 was good for 4k gaming. However If it isn't all it's cracked up to be... and I will be wanting to upgrade it just as soon as I go 4k then your right, there isn't much point in pushing the boat out now and I can settle for something which will last me 3-4 years. Thanks for the input. I will go ahead and assume I will be gaming at 1080p for the foreseeable future... and plan to upgrade to an as of yet unreleased card when I finally go 4k. Will look and see what the 1070 does over the next couple months as I approach the 'Build Date'. Thanks guys.

#8 Posted by Cameron (864 posts) -

A 1070 is fine for 1080p and 1440p gaming. If you want 4K, then you'll need at least a 1080 and be willing to turn down settings. No graphics card is going to last 5-6 years and still be good. Look at the GTX 680 now to see how a 5 year old card holds up. It's usually a better idea to buy a XX70 series card now, then another XX70 series card in 2-3 years. The cost is similar, but you'll get better average performance over the time period.

As for other parts, I'd either get an i5 7600K or a R7 1700, depending on your budget. A high-end CPU could potentially last 5-6 years, but I doubt a four core CPU will hold up very well in a few years. The i5 will be totally fine for games today, but if you're really set on keeping it for a long time, then I'd go with the R7 just because it has double the cores.

Motherboards are a nightmare because there are about a billion of them with tiny differences. My suggestion is to figure out what features you need (overclocking, SLI/Crossfire, max RAM) and then read reviews. Just about anything will work just fine, but finding exactly what you want might take a while.

RAM doesn't make a huge difference. Faster and lower latency is better, but it doesn't matter much for games. Just buy whatever is officially supported by your motherboard.

Get an SSD, not matter what else you have to give up. It doesn't make a huge difference in games, but for everything else it is a must.

For a case, again, just about anything will work. The number of HDD bays and the clearance for graphics card length and height are things you'll want to check. Other than that, expensive cases are usually just for looks, though some have additional sound-proofing for those who are very noise sensitive.

#9 Edited by rocketskates (9 posts) -

This feels weird, but, I think I can offer some food for thought. So, I built a PC for the first time recently (to replace an aging MBP), and it's mostly easy work with some scary/stressful moments thrown in. I had originally settled on a 1060, but then Amazon had a sale on a well-reviewed 1070 for not much more than my budget, that was a no brainer. If I spec'd for my basic af 25" 1080p monitor, the 1060 would've been enough, but since monitors are one of the few things not going up in price atm it's probably ok.

I don't normally recommend Reddit, but if you have some patience and time, a good place to lurk is /r/buildapcsalesuk. It's not extensive, but useful regardless. Also, I bought most of my parts through Amazon, and some of those were Warehouse deals. FYI, I have a 1070, i7 and 32GB's of memory and a single 480GB SSD and it came to just under £1300 (the original budget was £700). Building around a 1080 and keeping it under that budget might not be possible? You could save a bunch of money on an i5 buying it second-hand from a place like CeX, I've heard that's an okay route to go.

And no, looks aren't that important, but it's difficult to not get into PC building without feeling inspired by build photos at some point :p

#10 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@cameron: Thanks Cameron, will definitely have a good think about the motherboard. Already planned on getting a 250gb Samsung SSD + a 2TB hard drive... guessing that's a standard way to go? More than 4 core's... go tit thanks. Regarding case once I have chosen components I will get a case that fits it all in, if it can be a small form PC (I was eying up the 'Bulldog 2.0... going to look into the components it comes with) I may go for it... or I may go big so I can take your suggestion and just double up on the number of GPU's I have.

#11 Edited by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@rocketskates: Food for thought accepted. And by the looks of it that's quite a rig you have there! 32GB RAM is a lot, I'm just looking at 2x16GB sticks. I would personally rather always buy new when it comes to hardware, you never know when that manufacturer's warranty will come in useful! Will suck up some courage and delve into Reddit later, it's been a while and quite often I feel like I'm just reading code but as you say, I will likely get something useful out of it! Decided if I'm going to downscale on GPU with a view to replacing/upgrading in a few years I may as well get a GPU to last so will look at what's new, has more than 4 cores and keeps me in budget. The I7 and R7 1700 being my top choices right now.

#12 Edited by Big_Denim (308 posts) -

@bpcupid: Honestly, if you're thinking of going 4k, I'd bite the bullet and get the 1080Ti, or just play at a slightly lower resolution and get a 1070. The 1080 falls a bit shy of being able to produce smooth 4k gaming. Unless of course you're okay with dropping game settings down to MED/HIGH.

This is coming from a 1080 owner btw.

Just my two cents, at least.

EDIT: And some hate it, but I highly recommend you spend the $35 for a Steam controller. I absolutely love that controller (I actually own 3 since I love it so much and got tired moving it from room to room depending on where I'm playing).

#13 Posted by Cameron (864 posts) -

@bpcupid: Sorry, to be clear, I'm not suggesting going with SLI. That's usually only a good idea if you have money to burn since it doesn't work in every game. I'm suggesting buying a 1070 now, then getting a 3070 (or whatever they call it) in a few years to replace the 1070. That's a better bet in the long run than buying a 1080 now and trying to make it last for 5-6 years.

Also, if you can swing it, I'd go for a 500GB SSD. 250GB will be fine, but I like having the breathing room. Don't sacrifice on the GPU or CPU for this upgrade, of course, but if the price difference isn't much it's nice to have the space.

#14 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@cameron: Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense to me... and means I can go small form factor now and (hopefully) not regret it later. So you suggest no second HDD at 2TB? I will only really be storing games on it and nothing else other than the odd document.

#15 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@big_denim: Thanks. My entire thinking behind a GTX 1080 now was 4k gaming in future, but I am now happy to take the advice given here, and just upgrade my GPU in 3 years (Maybe 2) when I upgrade my TV to 4K. So will focus on Motherboard & 8 core processor for the initial build. Thanks Duders, keep it coming it's all great and very appreciated.

#16 Posted by nnickers (261 posts) -

@cameron: Hell, I got a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (generally the top rated) for something like $200-250 on sale from Newegg last year. And that was almost exactly a year ago, so I'd imagine that you could find them even cheaper now if you keep an eye out. For me having everything consolidated on a single super-fast drive is very worth it.

#17 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@nnickers said:

@cameron: Hell, I got a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (generally the top rated) for something like $200-250 on sale from Newegg last year. And that was almost exactly a year ago, so I'd imagine that you could find them even cheaper now if you keep an eye out. For me having everything consolidated on a single super-fast drive is very worth it.

Noted - I would likely get confused as to what was stored where... will have a shop around when the time comes

#18 Edited by rocketskates (9 posts) -

@bpcupid: 32GB (2400mhz) is a lot, but memory prices are weird atm. I got mine for £165, this was the absolute cheapest I could go £/GB. I considered going for 16GB for around £100, but then with the video work I do, I would probably need to upgrade eventually. It made more sense to buy it now and have a complete set rather than wait and just end up paying more.

Prices in general are just unpredictable atm. I recommend if you see a good SSD on offer (I picked up my 480GB Transcend drive for £95 on Amazon less than a month ago, it's now £163 there) to just buy it!

#19 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@rocketskates: Yeah will find 3 or 4 well rated SSD's and find the best deal I can over Easter. 500GB should do it but if there is a good 1TB going will go for it. Thanks

#20 Edited by MonetaryDread (2765 posts) -

@nnickers: You know this is just totally anecdotal evidence, but I have been building computers for almost 30 years now and I have never understood that reasoning. I prefer to use my computer till it grinds to a halt (5 years or so before upgrades), and every time I go for the card that is one step down I regret it after the first two years. That is because even though the top card is usually only 5-10fps faster than the mid card, after two years and a bit I find that games tend to be 5-10fps shy of what I would consider to be optimal performance.

I have a GTX 1080 and on a 1080p screen there are a half-dozen games that run at sub-60fps and even fewer new games run at 144fps (great for competitive games), all I can think of is why not spend the money if you can afford it? Especially if you are planning to own the PC for a while.

As for the buy a $300 card and upgrade in two or three years, the $300 card 2 generations from now usually performs as well as the $600 card from 2 generations ago, so its not like you are actually gaining anything. Hell, if you went from a 680 to a 960 you are actually losing a significant amount of performance.

#21 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@monetarydread: Not anecdotal evidence - very relevant personal experience and worth me having in mind while I work through the shopping list. Looking at my budget (which I don't want to inflate too much, New house + Stay at home wife & 2 kids = Sensible spending... this is my treat for getting them a nice house!) it looks like I have to sacrifice either the CPU (i5 instead of a lovely new Ryzen 7) or the GPU (1070 instead of 1080). From what I am seeing from this conversation and other research, an 8 core CPU is more likely to do what I want it to in 5-6 years than any GPU on the market. I know I am living in the 'best case scenario' world, but right now I am leaning towards forking out for a CPU and having great 1080p gaming for 3 years.

However, if I can get all the parts I need for a good deal over easter (Or summer at the rate I keep needing to buy stuff for the house...) then your advice is noted, and if the budget allows I will definitely bump for a 1080.

#22 Edited by MonetaryDread (2765 posts) -

@bpcupid: Well then that is settled then. Ryzen is terrible for gaming and according to reviews https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X-Review-Now-and-Zen/Power-Consumption-and-Conclusions or http://www.pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review/7/it runs around 25% slower for gaming than an i5 from two generations ago and is the same price as the current i7-7700k Z (8-threads so you are futureproofed). The only real uses for Ryzen is if you spend ALL your time doing workstation stuff like encoding video and were considering the $1500 intel part, or you are one of those activist types that would rather spend money on any non-intel part. Though the use for VR and 4k looks promising, still, if you have to make a choice between CPU and GPU GPU is usually the better investment.

#23 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@monetarydread: Thanks for the input. Reading this in a few places, but also reading for gaming it 'holds its own' against I7 at 1080. No major improvements right now, but 8 core for the price is not bad. Putting together builds for both I7 and Ryzen 1700x on PC part picker and will see what feels right at the time of build. Will be doing precisely 0 workstation stuff with it so seriously considering going for the I7. Have time to see how further bench tests and updates affect the Gamers view of the Ryzen 1700x vs I7. For me I just want to futureproof my CPU as much as possible since my GPU will need upgrading for 4k in 3 years despite how much cash I throw at it.

#24 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

@bpcupid: The thing about AMD cpu's is they were budget, the new ones seem to be higher priced and still not up to par(gaming wise) with their intel counterparts. These could be firmware and driver issues that may or may not get addressed, but if you are going ryzen then get the budget cpu's if not then go for intel. It's been over 6 years and i haven't seen 8 cores be all that useful for gaming so i wouldn't worry all that much about that, I use an i5 with my 1080 and it is great.

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (7478 posts) -

So much conflicting advice in this thread :(

An i5 is absolutely fine for gaming. You don't need a 1tb SSD to store everything on unless you never delete games after finishing them.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#26 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (1864 posts) -

@bpcupid: I'm also considering a Ryzen build for my next PC later this year. There's conflicting opinions on whether it's good for gaming (nowhere near a consensus) but I've seen some benchmarks that were impressive. And it's not even fully optimized yet. It's a situation to keep an eye on. Seems like a jack of all/master of none type cpu but could be good if you ever planned to stream. Keep us updated on what you end up buying. I'm still up in the air on a GPU myself.

#27 Edited by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@alexw00d: conflicting advice is just a lovely difference of opinon for me to pick through and find out what works best for me :). I pick apart what a market see''s wants for a living so this is all great. The Ryzen argument is slightly thinner at the moment but in terms of longevity (which is what I am looking for) IF the updates are up to expectations it could make the difference of a couple years of life. The key is checking out the support it gets over the next few months. Or waiting for Intel to announce their massive 'f$#k you' to the market. Regardless the choice of CPUS out there right now is very rich and whichever way I go it will feel like the right choice.

#28 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

Maybe i haven't researched enough but the consensus seems to be pretty clear from what i read, ryzen is best for video production and not as great for games? They aren't bad but not as good as an i5 or i7 from what i have read. Granted driver updates and developer support could changr this, but judging from history that ia unlikely. I say get whatever is the best value for performance

#29 Posted by bpcupid (40 posts) -

@oursin_360: I would be inclined to agree. But not only is the Ryzen barely matching performance right now (I personally dont care aboit a few FPS at 1080p roght no so like for.like = fine) for my CPU I want something which will handle gaming long term at 4K. Otherwise I might as well go extra cheap now and upgrade both CPU and GPU in 3 years... and CPU's don't upgrade so easily thanks to motherboard's. The argument for Ryzen which is keeping me interested is that the extra cores and threads will do well once fully optimised... AND for future games developed with the architecture in mind, particularly at 4K where Ryzen shows some muscle. 4 core Intel cpu could easily be overshadowed by the 8 core Ryzen for 4K and VR gaming, and since that is the future (and my intention in 2/3 years) I have to consider it. How true this argument is will be apparent in the coming months so we will see. I know lots of people believe more cores makes no difference, but thats an outdated argument which needs to be properly reassessed, and Ryzen gives game developers that chance to see what can be done... in my opinion. I sell night vision for a living and have never built a PC wtf do I know!

Thanks for your input much appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.