Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX 275 55 C idle, 95 C 100% load. Safe?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

If not, any suggestions on to improve temperatures? I have been recommended the Accelero GTX Pro as a replacement, but I can't afford it at the moment. Would a TIM change help? Credit card method? Pea method? Rice method? Line method?

I do not have air conditioning in my home, so our temperatures are usually range from 75 F to 85 F depending on the day. I leave my case open.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Open your case and put it off the ground, and put it near some fans.

If you can't do that, put moar fans in case.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By defaulttag
    @KaosAngel: I'll try that. thanks.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Turn up the fan with msi afterburner, or buy a new heatsink for it.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Adamsons

The max temp is 105C for a GTX 275, so you're not fully in the danger zone, but id want to try and back it down by at least 10C.

Whats your airflow like?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

My EVGA GTX 275 also ran kinda hot. Not that hot, about 40-50 idle and anywhere from 65-70 up to almost 90 under load. Download Rivatuner or equivalent and turn up the fan to 70-85% before you start up a game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

get MSI Afterburner, change your fan speeds so that they spin faster the hotter the GPU gets.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Wipeout
    @Marz said:
    " get MSI Afterburner, change your fan speeds so that they spin faster the hotter the GPU gets. "
    This or Rivatuner to do the same thing.  I wouldn't worry about it, the thermal shutdown on most nvidia cards isn't until 114 C.  
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Wipeout: um msi afterburn is a newer and better version of rivatuner.
    Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Wipeout
    @HitmanAgent47: I'm old and behind the 8-ball :P
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Wipeout: yeah I can tell by some of your pc advice your posting.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Juvarial

GTX 260 is 100-105 @ load. Still has not melted yet. Somehow.

Since youre also in the 200 series I would say start looking for a new card : P

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Open your case and put it off the ground, and put it near some fans.If you can't do that, put moar fans in case. "
    Wouldn't leaving the case open make it worse because you need the vortex of sorts to keep the cool air circulating?

Not saying for sure, just seems logical.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

It's safe but not ideal. Just checking for dust is usually the best option for reducing temperatures on a graphics card. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contro

I would look at cooling options, you could also tidy things up inside to aid air-flow. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Ineedaname said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " Open your case and put it off the ground, and put it near some fans.If you can't do that, put moar fans in case. "
    Wouldn't leaving the case open make it worse because you need the vortex of sorts to keep the cool air circulating?Not saying for sure, just seems logical. "
    Your right. Unless the case is literally just a metal box with no ventilation, then taking the side-panel off will just make things worse. 

Invest in a GPU fan and/or better ventilation.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By defaulttag

I kept the case open with a regular fan (for people, not PCs) directly on the case. My temps are now 43 C idle, 75 100% load. this is only a temporary solution though.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By defaulttag

my gpu fan is always set to 100% as with those initial temps on my first post.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's fun taking your gpu apart and putting this thing on it. Believe me, I know. Or simply get a new pc case if your pc case can't keep your card cool.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By salad10203

Whats your case?  Some proper ventilation should do the trick.

Edit: With those temps and your fan at 100%, your card either is broken, has broken fans, or your mobo is broken.  There is no way it should be 55c idle with 100%.  I have a 280gtx stock and it idles at 49c with automatic fans (<30%) 

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By defaulttag
    @HitmanAgent47: that looks like a beast! it's about $60. gotta save up for it though. it has thermal paste on it already, right?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @defaulttag: yeah, they usually have this grey shit on it. But what pc case are you using right now?
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By warxsnake

What is your fan speed/GPU temp ratio?

GTX2xx series has notorious fan settings. Like 40% at something like 60C, which is stupid. Set up an nvidia FANSpeed/GPU temp profile

50C = 60% Speed
    60C = 75% Speed
    70C = 85% Speed
    75C = 100% Speed

My "rule" is to never have anything go above 80C. On my old GTX260, at 80C the card would start artifacting and crash. 
    eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By eezo

OR! Just do like i did (not on purpose though) i destroyed my GTX280 because of heat, and i got a brand new 570gtx for free on my warranty

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By defaulttag
    XION Vantage Mid-Tower
    my GTX 275 is the evga superclocked edition. i've tried overclocking, but performance improvement was only 4 fps difference at the highest stable clocks. 

btw, my house temp is about 85 F. No A/C here    
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @defaulttag: Is there an intake fan from that front or is that just like some plastic decoration? I don't think there is good airflow going on in there. Sure the gtx 200 series runs hot and doesn't overclock that well, but you need to vent the heat out. I like the side window, but maybe you should move to a new case with better cooling.

I still recommend you get a new pc case, that doesn't have enough airflow.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Juvarial said:
    " GTX 260 is 100-105 @ load. Still has not melted yet. Somehow.Since youre also in the 200 series I would say start looking for a new card : P "
    You are kidding, right? The only thing our cards can't do is DX11. And maybe full-load AA'd Crysis. I can play every game I own maxed with AA...

I always thought you're supposed to upgrade every two to three generations or once your card is struggling on the second-highest settings.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juvarial
    @Aus_azn: Friend of mine spilled a liter of beer on my card. The fact that it still works is baffling. Let alone the implications for actual performance. 
    Personally I just like to upgrade when it feels right. Right now with the state of the GPU and CPU market it feels right. I might wait for the next gen graphics cards though.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#29  Edited By Kidavenger
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Wouldn't leaving the case open make it worse because you need the vortex of sorts to keep the cool air circulating?Not saying for sure, just seems logical. "
    Your right. Unless the case is literally just a metal box with no ventilation, then taking the side-panel off will just make things worse. 

"
    You guys still believe in Santa too?

P.S. taking the side panel off will improve your cooling unless for some reason your room temp is higher. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kidavenger said:

" @GetEveryone said:

" @Ineedaname said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "
    P.S. taking the side panel off will improve your cooling unless for some reason your room temp is higher. 
    "
    That's the problem. If you take off the side-panel, you lose air-flow. Where before there was a fan, you now have essentially static air.

The system still gets hotter, and assuming your room isn't an ice-box, the air-flow is minimal and unlikely to actually cool anything.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kidavenger
     @GetEveryone said:
    " @Kidavenger said:
    " @GetEveryone said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"

"
    That's the problem. If you take off the side-panel, you gain ventilation, but without cooling. 

The system still gets hotter, and assuming your room isn't an ice-box, the air-flow is minimal and unlikely to actually cool anything.
    "
    When I take a sauna, I leave the door open, makes it hotter, don't tell them my secret guys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The air temperature isn't changing around the computer because the fan isn't able to regulate it. 

In a sauna, the steam may be allowed to escape with the door open, but, bar the initial influx of cool air, the heat emitting object would not cool. It is still giving off the same amount of heat, though the air around it isn't as efficiently heated. Your comparison doesn't fly. Well, certainly not in your favour.

What an obnoxious, ignorant ass.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kidavenger
    @GetEveryone said:
    " The air temperature isn't changing around the computer because the fan isn't able to regulate it. 

In a sauna, the steam may be allowed to escape with the door open, but, bar the initial influx of cool air, the heat emitting object would not cool. It is still giving off the same amount of heat, though the air around it isn't as efficiently heated. Your comparison doesn't fly. Well, certainly not in your favour.

What an obnoxious, ignorant ass.
    "
    When you open up that case, you remove a layer of insulation between the inside of the case and the room allowing free airflow which equalizes the temperature between the two.

The heat generated inside the case is much higher than that of the room, so by removing the door, you are lowering the ambient temp inside the case.

The gpu fan is now drawing from this lower temp air inside the case and passing this cooler air over the heatsink, there is also less resistance to the fan as you are drawing from a larger, less restricted volume of air.

You stating that this will not only make no change, but stating that it will actually make it hotter is absolutely asinine.

If you don't believe me, open your case and try it out yourself.

Don't get mad at me for correcting obviously bad information.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Kidavenger said:
    " @GetEveryone said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"

"
    That's the problem. If you take off the side-panel, you gain ventilation, but without cooling. 

"
    That is utterly wrong.  Learn your basics when it comes to air pressure and heat dissipation.  Every pro benchmarker runs their gear on a open, caseless system. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kidavenger: I'm speaking from the perspective of having a decent cooling system. I have six fans supplying constant, cool air inside my case. At the moment, my bedroom is probably about 60 degrees. If I took off the side panel, the inside temp would increase. Granted, even if you have one case fan, it's going to be better than just removing the side-panel completely.

I never said it would get hotter (with regard to your sauna comparison), I only said that the components would remain at the same temperature without proper cooling. That is, taking the side panel off, and reducing the air-flow is less effective than having a fan. Obviously, if you have a hot component in a tin case, it's going to be worse.

@SeriouslyNow: From what I know of benchmarking, pro-benchmarkers use crazy cooling solutions, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Kidavenger: I'm speaking from the perspective of having a decent cooling system. I have six fans supplying constant, cool air inside my case. At the moment, my bedroom is probably about 60 degrees. If I took off the side panel, the inside temp would increase. Granted, even if you have one case fan, it's going to be better than just removing the side-panel completely.

I never said it would get hotter (with regard to your sauna comparison), I only said that the components would remain at the same temperature without proper cooling. That is, taking the side panel off, and reducing the air-flow is less effective than having a fan. Obviously, if you have a hot component in a tin case, it's going to be worse.

@SeriouslyNow: From what I know of benchmarking, pro-benchmarkers use crazy cooling solutions, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.
    "
    Then you don't know what you're talking about.  They do use Dry Ice pots but the always have their gear mounted OUTSIDE of a case.  Look up any benchmarking vids.  Also, there are Skeleton Cases which are made by Antec which are produced especially for the kinds of high performance gaming systems which need extreme amounts of ventilation.  Honestly man, you're way out of your depth and you shouldn't be arguing with people about things you barely understand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: I understand exactly what you are saying, and I'm quite capable of doing so. My earlier posts have been taken out of context, though. If you look at my very first post, and then the last one, I was only arguing against removing a side panel in cases where regulating and ensuring a cooler temp. with fans was favourable.

Surely the use of dry ice backs up my point. It's used to lower the temperature at will, which can't be done outside a case. They aren't just overclocking sans cooling. If it was done inside a case, they couldn't ensure the cooling they require, but, comparatively, doing it with no cooling out in the wild isn't what they do either.

In fact, I am beginning to feel totally lost at this point. Given the concepts, and we aren't actually talking about benchmarking (so this has gotten totally out of hand), I can't even see where you're coming from anymore. Why would keeping the side-panel off the case, when it does not provide substantial cooling, be favourable to a case which does provide substantial cooling? 

"Unless the case is literally just a metal box with no ventilation, then taking the side-panel off will just make things worse." My first comment - which to put in context, was to contrast having a case with fans.

So, just to tear this, obviously incomprehensible, comment apart: if you have a metal box with a computer in it, taking the side off will benefit you. If you have a computer with sufficient cooling, it won't... and just in case I haven't been absolutely clear: I have a fan on my face - my temperature decreases. I take the fan away from my face - my temperature increases.

Edit: Bear in mind, also, that PC's don't run in lab-like environments. Should you run it without the side-panel, it's going to gather far more dust than it would with one. Dust provides insulation, insulation leads to heat...
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone:   Or you can just stop babbling and Google the words "Skeleton Case Antec".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: No need, I know quite well what it is... and it's covered in fans.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: No need, I know quite well what it is... and it's covered in fans. "
    It has ONE fan and isn't covered in anything much but air.  You quite clearly do not know what it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: It actually has two fans. It has an HD cooling one as well.

What's your point? You were arguing, what? That a case doesn't need fans, from what I can gather... but the one you did bring up still has a fan.

:O
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone:   You said it was 'covered in fans'.  it's not.  You're wrong.  You argued that opening the side of a case would be worse in terms of heat dispersion than closing it.  It's not.  You're still wrong.  The reason for my response to this thread was that you've acted like an arse in trying to counter someone's productive advice with really poor science coupled with a smarmy attitude.  Just accept that you were wrong and move on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: It is covered by a giant fan; there is a second fan. Plural. Therefore, it is covered in fans. Though, semantically, 'by' would have been more appropriate.

Regardless, as I've said umpteen times now, before being taken out of context, (paraphrasing) 'unless the case is a metal tin, then removing the side fan won't benefit you.' Why won't it benefit him? Assuming he has a fan on the side of his case, it's going to be providing more efficient cooling than it would without. As you so kindly pointed out with the Antec's Skeleton case, a fan is necessary.
    My last post hammered this point home, but I'll try once more:

If his computer has little cooling, removing the side panel IS BENEFICIAL. If it has cooling, IT IS NOT. My actual advice was to invest in a GPU fan.

Regarding my apparent piss-poor attitude, I actually thought until my last post I'd been pretty in line (bar my ignorant line). Reading through them, I could see why I may have come across poorly. You on the other hand, come across terribly throughout the forums as a whole (and I'm fairly certain I've had more than one run in with you before).

I still can't actually see what you're arguing with. I've already stated that I see exactly where you're coming from. Taking the side-panel off can be beneficial. See? All you've managed to muster against my comment, is that you can take the case away and stick a fan on top... which is akin to what I said initially.

I'm willing to explain in even more excruciating detail if you want.

Disclaimer: Smarm has been piled on heavily in this post.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone:  You're still wrong and still being a fuckhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:
    " @GetEveryone:  You're still wrong and still being a fuckhead. "
    Cases. Fans. Hot rooms. Dust. Skeletons. Side-panels. Air-flow. Conductivity. Heat dispersion.

It's all relative, man. Let's be friends.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone:  Don't apologise to me.  That dude on the previous page deserves the real hug.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By dagas

As a general rule, if your PC doesn't randomly crash or you get artifacts and such, it's fine. Sure in theory the life span can decrease, but who keeps their PC parts for a decade anyway?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.