Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX 780ti now or wait for 800 series later?

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Keirgo

Hello everyone,

I think the time has finally come to replace my 560ti, its been good these past 3+ years, but its starting to show its age for the level of graphics settings I like to play at (as high as possible @ 1080p & 60 fps.)

So here I am, the title of the topic pretty much says it all. I have the budget for a top of the line card, I'm not in a hurry but I also don't want to wait possibly another year, and I don't buy new cards very often so I would like one to last for quite a while.

What do you all say, take the plunge now on a 780ti or wait for an 880 with the new architecture?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Well, I'm personally waiting for the 800 series, it might be a while, but I'm not in a huge rush.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R9 290 :)

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Based on what you've said, you may be best just going for the 780Ti now, if you're not wanting to wait too long. Looks like there might be a significant delay on the next range of cards.

I'd say if you're happy to spend the money now, go for it. 780's are still great cards, and will remain so for a good while.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'm waiting for the 800 series, but only because I waited to this year to upgrade to em and then they got delayed. That combined with Broadwell still not being out yet.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By VACkillers

To be honest, the 880s are only going to be about 10% faster than the 780ti's anyway as it doesn't look like the once rumored ARM processor that was going to be onboard with the new 880s is un-true. As TechPickle already stated looks like to be a huge delay anyway for the 880s which is why we have still heard jack shit about em from Nvidia. I think waiting untill after E3 might be wise, as Nvidia is going to be at the show, whether or not they'll have anything to announce thats hardware related is another question though, most likely to do with upcoming games and more stuff on the Nvidia Shield. Rather hit or miss really.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

Honestly if I was in the market for a GPU right now, I'd be going with a used R9 290x. Basically, it's a $500 part which is currently being dumped off in the post coin-mining craze for around $300 on a site like Ebay. Otherwise, I'd try to hold out until a new batch of PC games which is bolstered in requirements as games start to take advantage of current-gen console hardware.

I do prefer an Nvidia card for the software support, but when it comes to throwing raw horsepower at something, you can't go wrong with the price/performance of a competitive market.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I read about the rumor of the delay into 2015 on the 800 series, I was hoping it was just that, a rumor, wishful thinking maybe, but it is the reason I am contemplating on getting a 780ti, soon-ish. I have looked at the 290x from AMD, great price but I didn't have a great experience when I tried an ATI/AMD card in the past, mind you that was a 4890 many years ago. I have just preferred Nvidia since then, though.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, and like I said earlier, I'm in no rush, so I think I will take VACkillers advice, wait to see what happens at E3.

Cheers!

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Creme

Wait for the 800 series, major power savings, if you care about that.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Keirgo

Hello again, well I took the plunge and went in on a 780ti during one of the recent sales. Pricey, but its been worth it so far. Now I'm able to max out my games, like AC4, Far Cry 3, Metro Last Light, Skyrim with tons of high res texture packs, plus flora overhaul, plus ENB, everything at max settings, smooth framerate all around, pretty much tripled my performance over my old 560ti.

Some quick benchmarks, for anyone interested:

Unigine Heaven 4.0, extreme setting @ 1080p

GPUFPSScoreMin FPSMax FPS
    560ti21.453412.647.0
    780ti64.0161328.2133.0

Unigine Valley 1.0, extreme setting @ 1080p

GPUFPSScoreMin FPSMax FPS
    560ti26.6111417.346.8
    780ti71.8300632.8141.3

Cheers! :)

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would personally wait for some benchmarks on the 800 series before deciding.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@staticmigrant: Well he did decide so...

There's also like 6 months till the first actual specs on the 800 series come out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Dude...you dropped all the way down to 28.2 on Unigine Heaven extreme? TIME FOR AN UPGRADE.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

Never mind....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.