HDMI audio vs optical / maybe stream?

#1 Posted by gamb1t (1011 posts) -

Quick question. Which is better and why? I have a denon receiver with Klipsch 5.1 speakers. id like to get the best quality. I do have a sound card as well but since it grabs audio from HDMI, Should i get a digital optical cable to utilize the sound card or is HDMI good enough to where it would be pointless to be running an extra cable from the pc. Also is there a way i could have it with no hdmi cable and stream to the tv?

#2 Posted by bybeach (5670 posts) -

I would consider HDMI to be better. At least, my PS4 hdmi sounds better than my optical-out PC, though not really much. This would be through my 5 or 6 year old Pioneer Home theatre.

BUT, my Home theatre is only 1080 pass through, and my TV a 4K. So optical it is. And the optical sounds well good enough I am not rebuying a new receiver.

In fact I made sure my newly built business/media PC has optical in case me and my gaming pc end up out of the living room. No present reason why, but just looking ahead.

#3 Edited by korwin (3841 posts) -

Optical operates on the old (MID 90'S) SPDIF signal format which is limited to a maximum of 2 channels of uncompressed 192/24-bit audio or bitrate compressed 5.1 encoding via DD/DDplus or DTS.

HDMI supports full uncompressed pass through for 7.1 at the same maximum bitrate as optical and support for file level compressed encoding via Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, and DTS-HDMA.

HDMI is better by miles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.