Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Heading in another card shortage now with RX 6000s due to miners?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

From what I'm hearing the hot new "mining card" is now RX 6900 XT. That mean all the prices and availability of RX 6000 card will be affected. Those that wanted a 6900 XT will now look harder for a 6800 at an inflated price. The markets that was looking for decent 6700 will see them scooped up by people who now can't find or afford a 6800. And, of course that won't mean Nvidia card will be easy to find, because scarcity and MSRP + pricing will cause everyone to scramble for ANY card. This will even jack up the prices of Nvida RTX 2000 and AMD RX 5000 cards on eBay.

I was looking at buying a 'system integrator' computer with a RX 6700 in mid-Dec. Because while laugh at buying a pre-built, I built my last two PC and built three others. I'm tired of building PC. I'd rather spend and extra $500 to have and SI build my system and test it - time is money even for a leisures computer. But, I don't think I will see a system intergaters getting much RX 6700 stock. [Yeah, I am building around AMD - so sue me. This now I need to be shooting for mid-level AMD Ryzen 5 5600X that will match well with a RX 5700 XT.]

Sigh...maybe I should just buy a system with an RX 5700 XT. Getting a new 6700 XT soudn cool, but it seems like it will be a hassle.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By frytup

Sounds implausible to me. I'm pretty sure all the serious bitcoin miners moved to ASICs quite awhile ago.

Which is not to say that AMD cards won't be hard to find, but mining won't be the reason.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By sawtooth

I appreciate and share the sense of dread about trying to get a new pc with a Radeon 6000 series card. I'm sure they're doing shipments specifically for partners to do prebuilds though. I'm hoping to snag a 6800xt for a build I'm putting together. The rumblings I've been hearing is that stock should be there as long as you're quick on launch day. Best of luck on the new system!

Edit: Well, I was very misinformed about having a chance of getting one of the 6800's at launch. The release this morning was very nearly non-existent. Seems like the desire for gaming tech this year is at an all time high, and supply is dismally low. Considering the year we've been having, not that surprising, but still frustrating.

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knows? Miners and E-bay scalpers will be hard to beat out but I'm hoping to get a 6800XT reasonably close to release date, I have a 5900x cpu on order from B&H with a supposed ship date near Dec 21st and would like to build a new system around that. I can wait for stock to fill up and won't pay scalper prices for things, kind of like the Xbox and PS5 situation, I didn't get either console and apart from a few feelings of FOMO I can see that having them wouldn't make much difference for me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, it is January 11th and still nothing is "in stock" - unless you want a 2 year old card or one for under $100 he doesn't do much. It is almost comical how many cards up and down the price stack are "out of stock".

I hope this only last a few more weeks, but I fear it will be a few more months for the most sought after cards. I'm kinda glad I went with an 'system integrator'. Maingear actually managed to ship my system by Dec 24th...like they built it, shipped, an and had it to my door in four days. Its worked like a 'swiss watch' out of the box.

Good luck everyone.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't because of miners but there is a total graphics card shortage, and I mean total, last gen and this gen. I am hopeful it will improve by February though.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If EVGA is any guide, the board vendors are taking this opportunity to jack up their prices. Guess they saw what people are paying scalpers and got jealous.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

@frytup said:

If EVGA is any guide, the board vendors are taking this opportunity to jack up their prices. Guess they saw what people are paying scalpers and got jealous.

Actually, it's because of the US embargo on China. (not sure if they are also bumping prices in other regions too though).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.