Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Heard Any Plans of New IE DnD Games?

senturion86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By senturion86

I have found myself recently replaying Baldur's Gate 2 (this time Enhanced Edition) and I am remembering how much fun a classic isometric RPG can be... especially when it is as challenging as BG2 can be. Since EE supports the game on many nee resolutions and works decently on touch, and with the cloud save option, I a, finding myself playing frequently on my Windows tablet and on my PC. I actually enjoy the game so much so that I forget about the older graphics and such.

I saw the team at Beamdog created the Baldur's Gate bridge game, Siege of Dragonspear and I intend on getting it as well. Thinking ahead now, has anybody read or heard at a conference if Beamdog or any other company plans to create a new IE based, DnD licensed game (that uses Dungeons and Dragons rules)? I have Pillars of Eternity and was an early supporter of it and love the game... but the graphics are so good that it would not run on an Atom tablet, and I like the DnD style game play.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

This is a topic for @arbitrarywater!

...but no, I don't personally know of any and I think the best luck you'll have is playing Pillars of Eternity-esque games "inspired by" the old IE DnD games, rather than Infinity Engine DnD-based games proper.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hayt

Actual Dungeons and Dragons games with the license? Not so much. Maybe Beamdog will make another one but reaction to Siege of Dragonspear was a bit mixed, although I think they'd do better with their own original game rather than touching on peoples memories of a 15+ year old game.

If you want games that are LIKE those old IE games then it's the best time to be playing video games. Pillars of Eternity is out, with a sequel all but confirmed. There is also Tyranny which is a different setting but runs on the same engine as Pillars did. You've got Tides of Numenera coming as well, although I believe that is true turn based unlike the real-time with pause systems of Pillars and other infinity engine games.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not if this fits the bill but Obsidian is releasing Tyranny in a couple of weeks.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Beamdog has stated in the past that they want to make a Baldur's Gate 3 of some kind, though Siege of Dragonspear was definitely... divisive; even if some of that divisiveness came from weird hateful corners of the internet. I guess I'd recommend Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition if you want more Infinity Engine on a tablet (I think it's on tablets?) and haven't already played it. Yeah, it's just the first Icewind Dale with the BG2 class kits shoved in like it was a ROM hack, but I happen to think the first Icewind Dale is pretty great.

If you want isometric RPGs with some spin on the Infinity Engine's style, there are a decent number of those. As mentioned above, Tyranny definitely seems like it will fit that bill to some extent.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Well, there was Sword Coast Legends, but that's not quite the same, and it wasn't quite well received anyway.

senturion86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked out Tyranny and it does look good! I'm a huge fan of PoE and Obsidian does a great job with the writing in the game too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.