Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help: Looking for the best PCI-Express card for under $50

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lebkin

I buy new PC hardware just often enough to know I am completely unqualified to pick out anything myself.  So some help would definitely be appreciated it.  I recently picked up a cheap ($400) pre-built computer that has just a standard integrated video card.  I would like the best PCI-Express card I can get for around $50, though price is a bit flexible.  My own research has lead to this as the leading candidate: Radeon HD 3650. Here are the computer's specs for reference:

Core 2 Duo E7400 (2.8GHz)
    3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
    300W Power Supply
    Integrated Video GMA X4500HD
    (1) PCI Express 2.0 slot open

Thanks in advance for the help.  Let me know if you need anything else about the computer.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By subject2change

3650 would of been my recommendation off of price alone. Say it'll run on a 300w but then again it may not, that PSU and onboard video are your weakest links. May want to invest in a decent powersupply of at least 500w with a decent 12v amperage.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By oDawg
    @lebkin: i'm pleading with you to spend more and consider a 4770. (100 bucks, maybe 80... low power)
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lebkin
    @oDawg: Why do you recommend the 4770 so strongly?  What makes it worth the extra money?

Also, where do you recommend buy it?  I can't seem to find anywhere that has it in stock.
    Alberto777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Alberto777

I agree with oDawg, the 4770 is a great value going for around $100 (trust me its way better if you spend $100 on this card than $50-70 on a crappy one). I would recommend to buy it off of newegg.com only for thier great return policy and they usually sell a product for its lowest price around. So I would go with newegg.com, only problem is that every 4770 card is sold out there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106792627+1067947628&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lebkin

So it seems like I should go with the 4770 in order to get the best value for my money.  And while they are out of stock, Newegg lists them all as coming back on the 29th.  The link to Newegg shows 6 different companies:

MSI
    Asus
    HIS
    Powercolor
    Sapphire
    Diamond

Are there any that I should avoid?  Brands that are superior?  Again, thanks for the help.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oDawg
    @lebkin: I'd go for whichever is cheapest. Very few manufacturers change anything when the card is launched. it's only when you get silent or overclocked versions and such that the different brands matter.

I tend to research the quietest model with google before i buy... but hard to say on a new card.. safe to just go with the cheapest. the 4770 uses less power than most cards which is key to your build. If you upgraded the power supply for 50-100 bucks I would recommend even better cards of course... but then the budget goes out the window!

okay... on thinking this through, there is no way you can run a good card on a 300w power supply. I am really trying to trick you into ordering a decent card (4770) at which point you'll have to upgrade to a 400w or 500w power supply (cost -> 30 to 100 bucks)... Then you'll have a real gaming station to appreciate.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lebkin

The power supply will definitely be the next component to get upgraded.  After a new video card, the 300W power supply will be the weakest link in the system.  I just have to take things one step at a time due to finances.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

I'd say the powersupply should be replaced first, so you can ensure you can run a more powerful card. But that's me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.