Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Here's why PC Gaming is Dying. (Topic 5 years old)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

Warning: Rant Incoming:

My 4 year old rig can hardly play today's games such as The Witcher 2 and the BF3 beta. 4 years ago, it could play pretty much anything at highest: C2D E6400 @ 2.1GHZ, 2GB RAM, and a 7600GS that I upgraded to an 8800GT. This rig cost about $1200 after taxes in total. 4 years later, it can barely play games at Low settings. Even BC2, a 2 year old game, had to be forced on Low. GTA4 wasn't even playable then. Crysis 1 could run on Medium High. Crysis 2 ran sub-30 at low.

PC's have such a high turnover rate compared to consoles that it's crazy. The reason that we don't have the NextBox and the PS4 yet is because of the economy, yet shoddy PC ports (yes, BF3 is a port, Witcher 2 is an exception), force PC players to spend aprox. $1000 every 3-4 years to run the latest games without having them look like Doom 1 at 25 FPS. That's why PC gaming is dying: they are way to costly to keep in line compared to consoles and unless you need a powerful PC for work, then it's $850+ for practically a "console". This is compared to a $100 Xbox (on sale nearly every week), and a $300 PS3...

This also contributes to piracy, because the first question people ask about a PC game these days is: "Will it work on my Rig?" And shoddy ports/varied configs discourage people from dropping 60 clams on it, rather first preferring to "test" it (this ain't XBLA, most games don't have demos, just shoddy "betas" where you fall through the floor).

I wish consoles could have mouse/keyboard configs, then I'd convert to them for my FPSES.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By prestonhedges

And you think this wasn't true back when PCs were flourishing? Pffft. Whatever.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Your 4 year old rig is actually a 7 year old rig with a 5 year old graphics card.  PC gaming isn't dying, you're just being extremely unrealistic.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mcfart

@gladspooky said:

And you think this wasn't true back when PCs were flourishing? Pffft. Whatever.

The economy wasn't shit while PC's were flourishing. I'm saying that's the problem: PC gaming still costs a shitton to get into (unlike consoles), even though the current console gen has adapted to the failing economy.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Still_I_Cry

That is one of the main reasons I am hesitant to become a member of the Aristocratic PC gaming group as opposed to my current plebe status. (I have used this a lot but I like the word "plebe" so shut the fuck up)

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Floope

My PS2 can't play my PS3 games. Console games are dying.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@RobbleWobble: But your PS3 can play some PS2 games so only Xbox is dying!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mcfart

@Still_I_Cry said:

That is one of the main reasons I am hesitant to become a member of the Aristocratic PC gaming group as opposed to my current plebe status. (I have used this a lot but I like the word "plebe" so shut the fuck up)

Yeah didn't think about that, haha. PC players probably feel entitled to being elitist since they spent triple the price on their rig compared to consoles.

@SeriouslyNow said:

Your 4 year old rig is actually a 7 year old rig with a 5 year old graphics card. PC gaming isn't dying, you're just being extremely unrealistic.

And what about the current "Prepare for BF3" rigs their advertising? Sandy Bridge is already a year old, yet is being marketed as current gen, and AMD's new CPU didn't put a dent to Intel.

So if I buy Sandy Bridge I'm already outdated? There's only been a few gens since the C2D. Lots are still rocking Socket 775's. And there's still graphics cards for $120 that are slightly better 8800GT's (I spent $300 on it).

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Wraxend

@Mcfart: This is the one thing that has always put me off from getting into PC gaming the constant need to keep upgrading. Which is why I'm happy to buy a console and be satisfied knowing it will run all the games that come out on it with out the need to upgrade.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Mcfart: I tried upgrading my PC recently but it turns out it is a "slim" one so none of the really good graphic cards fit in it because it is too small. So short of paying $1000+ for a custom one I can't do anything about it.

Had to return the card I bought.

My PC can't even run Medieval II on high settings.

It can barely run Full Spectrum Warrior.

It runs Sniper Elite OK though.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mcfart

@Wraxend said:

@Mcfart: This is the one thing that has always put me off from getting into PC gaming the constant need to keep upgrading. Which is why I'm happy to buy a console and be satisfied knowing it will run all the games that come out on it with out the need to upgrade.

Yeah, I wonder if BF3 on the PS3 will work with a mouse/keyboard. I always play Rush so I won't miss the PC exclusive 64 player Conquest.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

You don't need to spend a dime more than $600 to get a good gaming PC. Unless of course you're one of those pathetic graphics whores who just won't play any PC games unless it has a "Super Mega Ultra Alpha Omega" setting in the Graphics menu and they can use it

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mcfart

@ZeForgotten said:

You don't need to spend a dime more than $600 to get a good gaming PC. Unless of course you're one of those pathetic graphics whores who just won't play any PC games unless it has a "Super Mega Ultra Alpha Omega" setting in the Graphics menu and they can use it

US maybe. That would be about $700 CDN, which would make it approx $800 since our goverment rape us through taxes.

My ass hurts :(

Still hella more then a console, and it won't even last 2 generations. Those shitty console ports that require shitloads of CPU power to make up for the shittiness won't work well on that $150 budget AMD cpu.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wraxend

@Mcfart: I don't think it will support Mouse and Keyboard, which is strange because UT3 did and I thought more games would have taken advantage of this on the PS3.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adamsons
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    Your 4 year old rig is actually a 7 year old rig with a 5 year old graphics card.  PC gaming isn't dying, you're just being extremely unrealistic.
    Pretty much this all over.

I'm actually surprised at how decent a 5 year old system would be today. Something like a Q6600 / 4GB / 8800GTX.

What resolution are you trying to play at?
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mcfart

@Wraxend said:

@Mcfart: I don't think it will support Mouse and Keyboard, which is strange because UT3 did and I thought more games would have taken advantage of this on the PS3.

Fuck. That would've sold me a PS3. Too bad =(

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Mcfart: You're being incredibly silly with this rant.  My system is pre Sandybridge and it ran the BF3 beta @ 1080p on high to ultra (Ultra with 2 x FSAA) perfectly smoothly.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Mcfart said:

My 4 year old rig could play pretty much anything at highest...Crysis 1 could run on Medium High.

Nice way to contradict yourself.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE

This thread is improperly titled. It should read, "Why PC gaming isn't for me." Since you know, you have to be pretty retarded to think PC gaming is dying.

@Mcfart said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

Yeah didn't think about that, haha. PC players probably feel entitled to being elitist since they spent triple the price on their rig compared to consoles.

@SeriouslyNow said:

Your 4 year old rig is actually a 7 year old rig with a 5 year old graphics card. PC gaming isn't dying, you're just being extremely unrealistic.

And what about the current "Prepare for BF3" rigs their advertising? Sandy Bridge is already a year old, yet is being marketed as current gen, and AMD's new CPU didn't put a dent to Intel.

So if I buy Sandy Bridge I'm already outdated? There's only been a few gens since the C2D. Lots are still rocking Socket 775's. And there's still graphics cards for $120 that are slightly better 8800GT's (I spent $300 on it).

All you need is a quad core CPU and a 560GTX Ti to run BF3 on high settings. Every part in my PC, except my video card, is like 4-5 years old, yet I ran both the beta and alpha at high settings at a really smooth framerate.

jsuuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By jsuuun

People have been saying pc gaming is dying every year for the past 10 years.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By tekmojo

Well until I can create maps and mods, connect to steam for consoles, use teamspeak/vent, play Blizzard games and quality MMOs, up the settings, multitask with many apps and music, stream games live, and so on. That's just for gaming, I use my PC for about 60% of other related tasks such as video editing and graphic design. If you want to play games buy a console, if you want to do everything buy a PC. Nothing major has changed.

*I spent $800 on a pc I built off of newegg 1 year ago, it plays BF3 on high settings

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PillClinton

This is more than a bit sensational, and plain untrue imo. Also, Sandy Bridge is 9 months old, and still current-gen.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McShank

@Mcfart said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

WTF are you talking about pc players being elitist because we pay alot for something that can play games on higher settings then what a console is set at and can do anything else? Let me see what my 1year old Qosmio can do that my ps3 can not which was a 700$ cheaper then my pc.. It can 1. Emulate any console from ps2/xbox and below. 2 - It can DL any movie / tv show that I feel the need to watch. 3 - It is alot easier to transport around then any of my console's. 4 - It will last just as long as ANY of my consoles will with the settings that they can play at,PC's dont get worse as time goes by, it just means things have to be set to a lower setting which if you notice, will never be lower then a console if you dont build one weaker then a console which atm is about a 300$ rig if not cheaper. People with big, expensive computers build them for something to do and spend their money on. They can last anywhere from 2years to 6 years with very very minor changes after a few years like Graphics card. What people like you (Everyone who thinks pc gamers are "elitist") dont understand is a powerful pc is meant for more then just gaming. Maybe if you would stop hating pc's because you suck at building them and look at what they are meant for (not just gaming) then maybe you can see why people like gaming on them more then a console. And your last statement about buying something that is already out of date. Obviously you have not been around computers much as Anything and everything is outdated within a few months of its release. The whole point of out dating something is that it gets cheaper for everyone else and only the select few who wish to spend the top dollar for something that will not even be able to be fully utilized at that time will get.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch3burashka

*yet another "PC Gaming is dying" post*

For the love of God, everyone shut the hell up. At the most, PC gaming is shrinking, but people will, for the near future, continue to buy and upgrade their PCs. The day Nvidia and Intel are no longer household words is the day PC gaming dies, and that's not happening.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Animasta

I bought a computer for $800 3 years ago and it still plays most games on high

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By guanophobic

So you're saying a whole platform is dying 'cause you can't play two really technically demanding title on your way overpriced, old hardware?

The rate of how fast things are getting upgraded from manufacturers now, seems to have slowed down the last 4-5 years and games aren't as demanding on PC anymore. PC developers spend more time on art direction nowadays, than on fancy engine tech, since they're either developing to consoles simultaneously or aim for a wider target audience (with lower tech specs).

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Deathshroud

I understand your feelings on this , But I don't think PC gaming is dead.

. I have a 4-6 year old PC and can play Witcher 2 on Med settings Ok ..probably 30 frames If I am lucky. My big problem at this time is I have Skyrim pre--order for PC because that's how I played all the others and I like Mod support. But now I am questioning if I will be able to run it at all . I cannot decide if I should bite the bullet and get PC version and see what happens. Or just say F-it and get the PS3 version.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By dtat

@Mcfart: I agree that that's a problem. If you can't afford to upgrade just for games then it's not a viable option. But remember that PCs are used for a lot of things. So if I'm the kind of person that wants a desktop for school/work (I am) I can spend a few hundred dollars more to make it game-worthy. That's exactly what I do. The extra money I spend on graphics cards and other upgrades is roughly analogous to what I would pay for a console. But as you say: not everyone wants to do this. That's why it's becoming more niche. But it's not dying, and that's an important distinction.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bybeach

Pc gaming just wants to go home and take a nap. It's not dying, PC gaming is just so tired of ppl. wanting it to croak. As far as I am concerned, PC is dying /dead/gone is just beat to death Fighte'n words.

Yes, I do have sympathy for the op over the cost of upgrading/building, but actually this is the time to do it if you can afford it, because despite all that noise about those PC ports,..pc gaming is still outstriping consoles badly as we post. Thats the reason I take a chance and wait for the windows version of Batman AC. I myself also look forward to the new exciting consoles that have not even peeped over the hill. But to their emergence and beyond, I have this wonderful PC system to do a stellar job presenting my games to me. Long live pc gaming and PC gaming systems..it's just plain exciting to use and tweak, so much more than a console can be.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Franstone

Did you just say Battlefield 3 is a port??

Ssssssslap!!

About every 5 years or so many a stupid people start talking about how PC gaming is dying yet I've been enjoying it for over 20 years.

Sorry to say, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Reminder: People back in the 60s swore pot would be legal soon.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Mcfart said:

Warning: Rant Incoming:

My 4 year old rig can hardly play today's games such as The Witcher 2 and the BF3 beta. 4 years ago, it could play pretty much anything at highest: C2D E6400 @ 2.1GHZ, 2GB RAM, and a 7600GS that I upgraded to an 8800GT. This rig cost about $1200 after taxes in total. 4 years later, it can barely play games at Low settings. Even BC2, a 2 year old game, had to be forced on Low. GTA4 wasn't even playable then. Crysis 1 could run on Medium High. Crysis 2 ran sub-30 at low.

PC's have such a high turnover rate compared to consoles that it's crazy. The reason that we don't have the NextBox and the PS4 yet is because of the economy, yet shoddy PC ports (yes, BF3 is a port, Witcher 2 is an exception), force PC players to spend aprox. $1000 every 3-4 years to run the latest games without having them look like Doom 1 at 25 FPS. That's why PC gaming is dying: they are way to costly to keep in line compared to consoles and unless you need a powerful PC for work, then it's $850+ for practically a "console". This is compared to a $100 Xbox (on sale nearly every week), and a $300 PS3...

This also contributes to piracy, because the first question people ask about a PC game these days is: "Will it work on my Rig?" And shoddy ports/varied configs discourage people from dropping 60 clams on it, rather first preferring to "test" it (this ain't XBLA, most games don't have demos, just shoddy "betas" where you fall through the floor).

I wish consoles could have mouse/keyboard configs, then I'd convert to them for my FPSES.

So what you're saying is you had a PC that you overpaid for and was sub-current gen console 4 years ago and now you're mad cause it won't play modern games....

Okay....

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's why you're wrong:

PC gaming isn't dying.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Franstone

@Still_I_Cry: Buy a new case, $50-$60 would be all you need to spend.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By captain_clayman

PC gaming isn't dying. 

you're dying.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xdaknightx69

so PC gaming is dieing u say ?? thats news to me, there are hundreds of games on steam alone but i guess those must be console games

thanx for the update and i guess i'll log into my xbox360 and download games from steam for it

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Franstone: Really?

What about the hardware inside?

Seems to be uh, fused with the case?

(Excuse my PC ignorance)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Franstone said:

Did you just say Battlefield 3 is a port??

Ssssssslap!!

About every 5 years or so many a stupid people start talking about how PC gaming is dying yet I've been enjoying it for over 20 years.

Sorry to say, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Reminder: People back in the 60s swore pot would be legal soon.

They really are a stupid people.  Collectively.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Afroman269

I thought this was going to be a sarcastic thread that shows the very opposite of that silly "pc is dying" statement. I'm disappointed and the OP should be ashamed.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45

I never get the "you have to constantly upgrade your PC!" arguments. The only time I ever upgraded my PC was 2 weeks ago, when I got a new GPU. Other than that, I just got a new pc every 4-6 years. And even when I got a new pc, my old one was still capable of playing new games, just on medium/low. And I never purchase the absolute high end, either. I've never spent more than 300$ on a graphics card and my total computer costs are always below $1200 (Canadian). Significantly less now, too, since hardware prices are pretty low these days.

If you're buying a PC and it stops being capable of playing games after 2 years, or even 4, you're doing something wrong. You're either getting terrible hardware, or you're buying prebuilt machines (awful). 

"it's too complicated, then" isn't an excuse when there's so many avenues that make it easier for you. Hell, make a thread here saying "recommend pc parts for me!" and someone will do it, or anywhere else on the internet, or google. Benchmarks, too. Bigger Bar = better. Higher cost = bad. Combine the two to find a good card/cpu for you. Look at what other pieces the benchmarks used. 

Anyway, yeah, calling user error on this one. I upgrade my PC no more, and probably less, than consoles cycle. 

Also, saying PC gaming is dying is simply provably wrong. If you're frustrated with one aspect, fine, but that doesn't mean it's dying. That's about as stupid as me saying I hate having to pay for Live every year so therefor xbox 360 is dying.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deathshroud

Shopping around right now on various sites I can purchase items to upgrade my PC for around or under 500 bucks. you just have to take the time to look and research really . I just don't have any extra spending money at this time.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Franstone

@Still_I_Cry: Last time I saw a PC that you couldn't take apart was probably a Packard Bell back in the early 90s.

You need to build one yourself or have some1 do it for you.

Can build a nasty machine for $600 and add whatever grade video card you want at any time.

I also have had just about every console since my older brother's colecovision so don't try the PC snob shit with this guy. (That isn't meant specifically for you, just putting it out there.)

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FengShuiGod

PC gaming is doing great and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Franstone: I genuinely meant that I was ignorant of the inner working of a PC. Was not being sarcastic.

I'll have to look into that and find someone that can build me one.

Thank you for the information.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Commisar123

Well this is the struggle for pc gaming

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

PC gaming is doing the best it has done in years.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I would like to point out that the 360 was around $600 CAD and the PS3 was around $800 when they came out. I'm sure I could buy a 6 year old PC for next to nothing right now, but that would be stupid.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Jazzycola

@Mcfart said:

@ZeForgotten said:

US maybe. That would be about $700 CDN, which would make it approx $800 since our goverment rape us through taxes.

Still hella more then a console, and it won't even last 2 generations. Those shitty console ports that require shitloads of CPU power to make up for the shittiness won't work well on that $150 budget AMD cpu.

1) You're not just using your pc exclusively for gaming with a console you are. Xbox 360 199.99 - 299.99 mostly used for gaming(if you include live membership it's +$60 per year), PS3 299.99-349.99 mostly used for gaming, and PC $800 for a upper middle-end pc that can be used for gaming plus everything else that a PC is capable of.

2)A shitty console port doesn't mean it uses more CPU power. It means that the same usage that would otherwise be used to increase performance is going to waste because the game doesn't take advantage of the architecture of the pc.

3)Hate to break it to ya but you can get a I5-2500k for $200 which is the second best CPU of this generation of CPUs. There's no reason to get a budget AMD cpu unless your building a dedicated streaming and web surfing PC for under 400 bucks.

And lastly PC gaming is not dying it's evolving. Steam has reinvigorated Indie developers and banished the idea of "You need ____ millions of dollars" to create a game. There's a lot of crazy things Gary Whitta says but he is right about the future of PC gaming. PC gaming is no longer the Crysis titles, Battlefield titles, or Unreal Tournament titles. PC gaming is now games like Machinarium, World of Goo, VVVVVVVV, Magicka and the hundreds of other great indie games. There will be those 'old school' hardware pushing titles like Metro 2033 but they'll be few and far between and usually coming from the Eastern Block.

Edit: Oh and why is this in off-topic. Isn't this a PC board thread?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TomA

@Mcfart said:

@ZeForgotten said:

The Canadian dollar is worth 1.0213 USD as of this writing. I think your math is off just a little bit bud.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Seedofpower

Man these threads need to stop.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.