Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Hidden Gems on Steam

• 67 results
    GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders, happy holidays!
    I'm looking for some suggestions for games to download via steam, old or new, I just want something to play.

What are you playing right now?

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat Spec Ops, and I was really surprised by it. It's a really interesting psychological take on the shooter genre. Great ride. A really f***** up game. Playing Binary Domain right now, and it's really awesome so far. Got both for around 10$ on steam.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Matthew Rorie's Alpha Protocol is only $3.74 right now!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brink is 5 bucks.

Don't judge.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@ch3burashka: He asked for hidden gems, not hidden hot trash

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: He asked, and I delivered.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Giant_Gamer

Right now, i'm playing Dark Messiah. The game is from the same team who made Dishonored and it also shares the same concept of Dishonored. That's why it's considered by some players a spiritual predecessor to the game.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By TreeTrunk
    No Caption Provided

OK serious, you have a pic from the Wolf Among Us, have you played Tales from the Borderlands? I recently finished that, it's really good.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Dungeon of the Endless

Never got much buzz, but it's a really good game that is challenging. every move you make matters. It's about balancing risk and reward, deciding which resources you need at which time etc.

Pix the Cat

A neat little arcadey game in the vein of Pacman Championship edition DX.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Lackluster roster , but the actual gameplay is actually pretty awesome. A good amount of well designed tracks. Pick ups on the track are more fair than the mario kart series. A lot of fun to play online with friends.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I actually really like that new Rise of the Triad game and it's only 5 bucks right now.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clairvoyantvibrations: Will definitely give it a shot, hard to go wrong for 5 bucks!

@onemanarmyy: Thanks for the suggestions. I played Pix the Cat when it was free for PS Plus members but haven't heard of these other two. Thanks for the suggestions!

@treetrunk: Tales From the Borderlands seemed like a silly idea to me when it was announced, but having just finished season 2 of the walking dead I wouldn't mind filling that telltale hole that's in my heart now. Thanks for reminding me of this!

@giant_gamer: Hm never played Dishonored but I've heard good things I'll give it a look thanks!

@ch3burashka: I remember when this game was released I really excited for it but never got around to playing it. It's mostly an online game right?

@mike: Thanks! I've never heard of this actually will definitely check it out

@asilentprotagonist: Ha funny you mentioned Spec Ops I picked it up a couple days ago on sale and just beat it tonight. Kinda why I'm at a loss of what to play now. And phosphorus, man, phosphorus :( I'll check out Binary Domain thanks for the suggestion : )

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dfl017: Wow that's a crazy deal I recognize some of these titles seems like it's worth the $10 price tag

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@grizzledwolf: Yea it seemed silly to me too which is why I waited until a sale to get it. But I actually really enjoyed it. I am just about to start Walking Dead season 2.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By handlas

Dunno if these are "hidden gems" but I think they are games that look like fun but I only wanted to buy if they were heavily discounted.

Sniper Elite 3 (80% off)

Picked up Sniper Elite 3. Kind of get a Metal Gear V vibe from it in some way but not as good of course. I guess just the open area, take out all the soldiers kind of gameplay is where that comes from.

Lords of the Fallen (80% off)

Also been waiting to pick this up for cheap since I like Dark Souls but never really felt compelled enough to spend more than $20 on this knock-off type game. So 10 bucks did it for me.

Pid (80% off)

Happened upon this one but haven't played it yet. I remember the Quick Look of it a long time ago. Has a nice art style and looks like a fun 2D side-scroller.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to suggest it here cause nobody played it when it came out. Tachyon: The Fringe, Main character voiced by Bruce Campbell. http://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nime
    InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been into Mini Metro as a relaxing puzzle game lately

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

toltendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toltendo

Toki Tori 2+ (95% off) | Totally different from the last game, not like Lemmings anymore, but borrows some and makes it into a platformer.

Retro Game Crunch (90% off) | A complication of 7 retro-based NES-like games, borrowing elements from Metroid, Donkey Kong, Felix the Cat, Adventures of Lolo, etc.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn

Insurgency!

It's an amazing multiplayer First Person Shooter which has been continually added to since release and even received additional content a few weeks ago, despite being a 2014 release! It's realistic which can make it intimidating but it controls smoothly and the shooting feels superb! You'll learn fast I promise! (Control wise it's no more complex than COD, you just take and give realistic damage.)

It's also super-on-sale now! Buy it!!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@internetdotcom: Mini Metro is indeed an excellent game. It looks so simple, but every time you're game over, you find out what works and what doesn't work. Getting a more efficient network working is so satisfying.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Swapper generally flies under the radar, but it's the best puzzle game I can think of in recent memory.

Frozen Synapse is a very fun turn/squad-based shooter. Great option for asynchronous multiplayer.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I bought Hacknet during the steam sale and I've been really enjoying it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Marz

valkyria chronicles, it's a pretty good port and it's only around 7$.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Lisa, is pretty dope and interesting. The crew did a quick look last year.

Kentucky Route Zero, was talked about when the first episode came out. If you want a really odd adventure game it's for you.

Cradle, Is superb. Someone did a quick look at some point.

Also it's not as small as these 3 but the day I stop telling people to play The Banner Saga is the day I die.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Relic Hunters is a good free game similar in feel to Nuclear Throne. The gameplay is quality and they keep adding to it.

Running With Rifles is a game that got a Quick Look but I hardly see anyone bring up. Interesting game with a tactical RTS viewpoint.

Chroma Squad is a fun SRPG for $9. Not that well balanced and the pacing is a bit off by the end but it's a lot of fun for it's fresh setting.

Iron Fisticle is a fun little Gauntlet type game that's on sale for I think 1.50.

I don't see people talk about any of those but all pretty fun.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Wadjet Eye's Blackwell and Technobabylon are pretty great. I also really recommend Dream of the Turtle and its sequel. You can probably ignore the first Runaway game.

acsct3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lethal League is only $4.75. Decided to finally buy it, and it's seriously one of the best competitive multiplayer games I have ever played.

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SuperVHS
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'll add another one. Omerta is way more fun than it has any right to be. It's a blend of light city management with a turn-based combat system not entirely dissimilar to something like Jagged Alliance (it's much simpler, but still, the basics are there).

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

Insurgency!

It's an amazing multiplayer First Person Shooter which has been continually added to since release and even received additional content a few weeks ago, despite being a 2014 release! It's realistic which can make it intimidating but it controls smoothly and the shooting feels superb! You'll learn fast I promise! (Control wise it's no more complex than COD, you just take and give realistic damage.)

I love how the hipfire aiming works in Insurgency. Laser sights actually have a practical purpose, they don't just magically improve the accuracy of the gun. It's so satisfying to slap a laser on an mp5 and go rambo.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OurSin_360

Victor Vran - Cool ARPG similar to Diablo but way more control and movement, stars Gerald of river

Vermintide - Extremely fun left4dead style co-op meets a diabloesque loot system

Ryse - Sure it's simple and short but it's fun while it lasts and less than ten bux. Plus it's a very pretty game

That's what i've gotten so far this year, The talos principle is on steam for 10bux and i may check that out as i've heard good stuff about it.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38  Edited By Cav829

Just a head's up for people on Kentucky Route Zero, the third episode of that game came out in May of 2014, so it's been almost 19 months between episodes. The author claims the next episode will be out "soon," and I'm not passing judgement on it, but people should be aware of this before diving in.

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom is a mere $1.24 right now. If you don't own that game, buy it. It's a pretty rad puzzle game with a wonderful art style. And pie!

Valdis Story: Abyssal Cityis $7.49 (50% off), and is a pretty great lesser known Metroidvania that has an interesting combat system. I think Jason has either mentioned it a few times or played it on stream.

The Fallis $1.99, and was a well-deserved winner of last year's "Best Story" category.

@irvandus said:

Lisa, is pretty dope and interesting. The crew did a quick look last year.

Kentucky Route Zero, was talked about when the first episode came out. If you want a really odd adventure game it's for you.

Cradle, Is superb. Someone did a quick look at some point.

Also it's not as small as these 3 but the day I stop telling people to play The Banner Saga is the day I die.

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
    Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys.

Jeff was right. Pinball is the best. I am addicted.

Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX 2 are amazing. If you think pinball is for dweebs, thing again. It is fun, addicting and with a wicked sense of humour!

Also, both are free with one table but they both have sales on right now for all the additional tables!

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mikemcn said:

Insurgency!

I love how the hipfire aiming works in Insurgency. Laser sights actually have a practical purpose, they don't just magically improve the accuracy of the gun. It's so satisfying to slap a laser on an mp5 and go rambo.

Yep! Laser Sights are cool, but not unbalanced, since they cost more and are very small, Insurgency makes all the attachments worthwhile in one way or another!

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to echo somebody's Binary Domain recommendation.

It's a pretty standard Third Person Shooter elevated by good production values and fun and lovable characters. You do nothing but shoot robots and the lighthearted, cheesy japanese tone is a breath of fresh air from the all too often way too serious and violent western shooters.

I believe it's made by the same guys who do the Yakuza series, supposedly it flew completely under the radar and became a massive flop. If you didn't get it in the Sega humble bundle then for 4 dollars its a total steal. Highly recommended.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also a Binary Domain vote from me. It got very little buzz for some reason but it's a super fun third person shooter with some great characters and fantastic ending. I played it right after Mass Effect 3 and was more excited about that game's ending part.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got Chroma Squad and it's fantastic so far. Suprised there wasn't a quick look here, maybe when the console versions come.

Thomas Was Alone is great and is 70% off. It's got better characters than 97% of other games and they're just blocks. Unqiue platforming as well because you have to switch between the characters.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By betterley

@grizzledwolf:
    Read that you didn't play Dishonored. I just go that on Steam for $4.99 because I hadn't played it either. That game feels real good!
    I also echo what many others have said, Binary Domain!

@handlas:
    Thanks for the shout out on Lords of the Fallen. I was in the same boat as you- wanted to try it, but didn't like the price.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the suggestions, got a few lined up to keep me busy over the next while and will be checking out the majority of these. Thanks again duders

metricchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orbital Gear is currently 99 cents and well worth it if you can actually find people playing. It's sort of dead but it's a side-scrolling twin-stick shooter that focuses around planetary bodies that each have their own gravitational pull ala Mario Galaxy... you know what, just watch a video.

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Symphony

Savant Ascent

Death Goat

Consortium

Heavy Bullets

Viktor

Stray Cat Crossing

Particulars

Basket Belle

Lisa

Teddy Terror

All are super cheap right now.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the most obscure thing but Duck Game is great.

Duck Game has a really fun four player online or local multiplayer, has tons of levels and you can also generate your own levels to use. If you're looking for a fun game to play with 3-4 people then it's totally worth checking out. It's a blast.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to recommend Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It's Deus Ex if it was based around modern day vampires developed by some ex Black Isle folks.

you know i have been interested in playing this for years, how does it run on a modern pc? I have windows 10 and it seems like there is some issue for some, then again it's like 5 bux on steam so maybe i'll just try it anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.