Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I am sick of it

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By The_Laughing_Man
     For those who do not wanna read all of this. It boils down to. I was lied to quite a few times. And assured my laptop would be repaired and WAS repaired. And had it returned to me in the same broken state.

A little wile back my laptop's fan started to act up. Making a very loud and annoying humming sound. It drowned out anything on this site and quite a few games. I also got a virus from a friends email.

About three weeks ago I sent in my laptop for repairs. After about 3 days it arrived at the HP repair center. After about 20 back and forth emails I was told to contact phone support for something that was found. 

After spending about 20 mins on hold I was put though to a Indian women I could not understand at all. After asking nicely to speak to someone who spoke English she refused until I gave my account info (Ticket num and email) Of course After another 30 mins I was put to a super visor who I had just a hard understanding. Where in I just hung up. 

The next day I called during normal business hours and got a nice women who told me there was " Spillage" Dected under the keyboard. Course right away I knew it must be from when I cleaned the keys before I sent out the laptop. She said it would cost 300 odd bucks to fix this since it was not covered by the warrent. I said no. And asked if my warranty did cover the Fan repair and OS reinstall. Again I assured that "YES" it was. So happy I thanked her for the help and asked that the fan and OS be fixed. She said ok and that was it.

Another 10 emails into the customer support I asked" Was the fan and OS fixed?" In which I got

Dear Nick,
    Thank you for replying back tous.
    From your recent email I gather that you want to know about repairdetails.
    Nick, in response to your query I would like to inform you that as we have seen in our database and there is showing that fan has been repair and operatingsystem has beenreload as well. Ifyou are facing any issue with Notebook then please feelfree to let us know so that we can assist you in a better way.
    If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.
    For information on keepingyour HP and Compaq products up and running, please visitour Web site

I shit you not...the entire email chain was filled with horrible grammar and spelling issues. But again. They said it WAS fixed. After this I thanked them and waited for the laptop to be returned (This was on the 9th. Strangely the laptop was not shipped till the 13th.  Wondering why this happened I message support again asking what was up. They said the laptop went though a "VIGOROUS" quality test. And that the fan and OS worked fine now. 

So I happily awaited my laptop. About 30 mins ago I got the box. Opened it and turned it on. Right off the back the humming returned and I saw that my desktop had not changed at all. Unhappy I called support and after sitting though a nice long hold I was told.

"Your warrenty was voided because of the "Spillage" And no repairs can be made. We returned the laptop to you in the condition we got it" 

So now I am here..with a laptop with a near broken fan....no warrenty...and a virus that might reactivate at anytime. 

I have lost all hope in HP....Their " Superior" customer care is bull and I am at a lose. Thank you for reading.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
     For those who do not wanna read all of this. It boils down to. I was lied to quite a few times. And assured my laptop would be repaired and WAS repaired. And had it returned to me in the same broken state.

A little wile back my laptop's fan started to act up. Making a very loud and annoying humming sound. It drowned out anything on this site and quite a few games. I also got a virus from a friends email.

About three weeks ago I sent in my laptop for repairs. After about 3 days it arrived at the HP repair center. After about 20 back and forth emails I was told to contact phone support for something that was found. 

After spending about 20 mins on hold I was put though to a Indian women I could not understand at all. After asking nicely to speak to someone who spoke English she refused until I gave my account info (Ticket num and email) Of course After another 30 mins I was put to a super visor who I had just a hard understanding. Where in I just hung up. 

The next day I called during normal business hours and got a nice women who told me there was " Spillage" Dected under the keyboard. Course right away I knew it must be from when I cleaned the keys before I sent out the laptop. She said it would cost 300 odd bucks to fix this since it was not covered by the warrent. I said no. And asked if my warranty did cover the Fan repair and OS reinstall. Again I assured that "YES" it was. So happy I thanked her for the help and asked that the fan and OS be fixed. She said ok and that was it.

Another 10 emails into the customer support I asked" Was the fan and OS fixed?" In which I got

Dear Nick,
    Thank you for replying back tous.
    From your recent email I gather that you want to know about repairdetails.
    Nick, in response to your query I would like to inform you that as we have seen in our database and there is showing that fan has been repair and operatingsystem has beenreload as well. Ifyou are facing any issue with Notebook then please feelfree to let us know so that we can assist you in a better way.
    If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.
    For information on keepingyour HP and Compaq products up and running, please visitour Web site

I shit you not...the entire email chain was filled with horrible grammar and spelling issues. But again. They said it WAS fixed. After this I thanked them and waited for the laptop to be returned (This was on the 9th. Strangely the laptop was not shipped till the 13th.  Wondering why this happened I message support again asking what was up. They said the laptop went though a "VIGOROUS" quality test. And that the fan and OS worked fine now. 

So I happily awaited my laptop. About 30 mins ago I got the box. Opened it and turned it on. Right off the back the humming returned and I saw that my desktop had not changed at all. Unhappy I called support and after sitting though a nice long hold I was told.

"Your warrenty was voided because of the "Spillage" And no repairs can be made. We returned the laptop to you in the condition we got it" 

So now I am here..with a laptop with a near broken fan....no warrenty...and a virus that might reactivate at anytime. 

I have lost all hope in HP....Their " Superior" customer care is bull and I am at a lose. Thank you for reading.
    Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Chandu83

Although this does not happen to everyone, generally if your call is routed to an Indian customer service center, chances are a lot of frustration awaits you. 

I faced a lot of this when I had ISP problems. Its unfortunate that American companies have to go overseas for tech support.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Chandu83 said:
    " Although this does not happen to everyone, generally if your call is routed to an Indian customer service center, chances are a lot of frustration awaits you.    I faced a lot of this when I had ISP problems. Its unfortunate that American companies have to go overseas for tech support. "
    It does not matter. HP has refused to repair my laptop. And only offers "Sorry" For their support lieing to me. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Chandu83 said:
    " Although this does not happen to everyone, generally if your call is routed to an Indian customer service center, chances are a lot of frustration awaits you.    I faced a lot of this when I had ISP problems. Its unfortunate that American companies have to go overseas for tech support. "
    It does not matter. HP has refused to repair my laptop. And only offers "Sorry" For their support lieing to me.  "
    That's no good. I have an HP laptop too.

You should buy an ipad...
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Whisperkill

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody. If anybody wanted to tell me something, they'd have to write it on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life    

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JJWeatherman said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @Chandu83 said:
    It does not matter. HP has refused to repair my laptop. And only offers "Sorry" For their support lieing to me.  "
    That's no good. I have an HP laptop too.  You should buy an ipad... "
    What really angers me is that I was lied to more then once.  And it took two weeks to get back my broken laptop. Wasting a massive amount of my time.  

Now they are telling me "Spillage" got though the key board and into the fan....which damaged it...
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

I had the same problem with a Dell laptop I had a few years ago, in fact maybe even worse. The shitty thing overheated from just some light gaming (as is expected from Dells) and I'm guessing either the mobo or hard drive got fried. The plastic actually melted around the bottom. According to the guys at the factory I spilled Coca Cola into it (lulz, I only drink fruit juice and energy drinks, and I would never in a million years spill soda on a laptop), and there was no arguing with them, so they essentially made something up in order to avoid honoring the warranty.  

That's what you get from buying from mainstream OEMs I guess.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Geno said:
    " I had the same problem with a Dell laptop I had a few years ago, in fact maybe even worse. The shitty thing overheated from just some light gaming (as is expected from Dells) and I'm guessing either the mobo or hard drive got fried. The plastic actually melted around the bottom. According to the guys at the factory I spilled Coca Cola into it (lulz, I only drink fruit juice and energy drinks, and I would never in a million years spill soda on a laptop), and there was no arguing with them, so they essentially made something up in order to avoid honoring the warranty.   That's what you get from buying from mainstream OEMs I guess. "
    They claimed i spilled quite a bit on the laptop..which is bull. I keep all drinks at least a foot and a half away. Yet they will not listen. I intend to send them a letter. And contact a much higher up. However i have accepted that I wont get it fixed. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Next time you should look for an Asus. They made some of the sturdiest and most reliable computers I have ever come across.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ninjakiller
    @Geno:  Huh, I bought a Dell and I've been happy with them.   They've had to fix it twice, I paid for the @ home service stuff when I bought it and they came to my house and I have been pleased with the guys they sent. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xyzygy said:
    " Next time you should look for an Asus. They made some of the sturdiest and most reliable computers I have ever come across. "
    O yes. I am dropping HP Like a bad habit. I do not like being lied to at all. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
    @The_Laughing_Man: Yes, Asus and Toshiba are the best brands among laptops. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Geno said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Yes, Asus and Toshiba are the best brands among laptops.  "
    A few people told me to sue HP for lieing to me lol. 

They said to print out all the emails an take them to a lawyer. 

Most of the emails have horrible grammar and spelling 

If anyone wants to see a few of them please message me! 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geno
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Yes, Asus and Toshiba are the best brands among laptops.  "
    A few people told me to sue HP for lieing to me lol.   They said to print out all the emails an take them to a lawyer.  Most of the emails have horrible grammar and spelling  If anyone wants to see a few of them please message me!  "
    Suing a large company when it's justified sounds pretty good to me. You might even be able to get a decent sum out of it. If it's like you're describing I think you have pretty good grounds. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Geno said:
    " @Geno said:
    A few people told me to sue HP for lieing to me lol.   They said to print out all the emails an take them to a lawyer.  Most of the emails have horrible grammar and spelling  If anyone wants to see a few of them please message me!  "
    Suing a large company when it's justified sounds pretty good to me. You might even be able to get a decent sum out of it. If it's like you're describing I think you have pretty good grounds.  "
    Do you want a peek at the list of emails? I was assured many times I would have my laptop fixed and was told it WAS Fixed. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Geno
    @The_Laughing_Man: I think I got the gist of it from your post. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Geno said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: I think I got the gist of it from your post.  "
    Sadly I do not have the money for a lawyer. 
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JoeyIA

Ugh, fuck those Indian call centers.  You can reinstall the OS yourself; if you're lucky you can burn your own discs using a pre-made harddrive partition (1 of my HPs had this & the other didn't) otherwise you can order restore discs from HP.  You can replace the fan yourself too, just open up the bottom of your laptop and see what size fan you need, then go to Best Buy.  Its not that hard at all and you'll save yourself more frustration.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Coombs

Engrish asbeen sekund langgidge  four HP emproyees

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JoeyIA said:
    " Ugh, fuck those Indian call centers.  You can reinstall the OS yourself; if you're lucky you can burn your own discs using a pre-made harddrive partition (1 of my HPs had this & the other didn't) otherwise you can order restore discs from HP.  You can replace the fan yourself too, just open up the bottom of your laptop and see what size fan you need, then go to Best Buy.  Its not that hard at all and you'll save yourself more frustration. "
    Can you fin me a guide for replacing a fan?  

And that is sort of not the point *Fully* I do not like being lied to for 4 damn weeks. Its sad but this has put me though the most stress ive been though in years.  

@Coombs said:
    " Engrish asbeen sekund langgidge  four HP emproyees "
    One of the women got real mean when I said I could not understand her and pass me to another person. 
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoeyIA
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Flip the computer over and unscrew it.  When you remove the bottom case you should be able to see the fan.  The fan should either be screwed down or be attatched with some kind of tabs.  There should also be a wire that runs from the fan to the mother board.  Just unplug the fan, its really that simple.  Then take that fan to a store and find one that's the same size. 

Its hard to find a specific guide for that stuff, especially with laptops because that's all proprietary.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JoeyIA said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Flip the computer over and unscrew it.  When you remove the bottom case you should be able to see the fan.  The fan should either be screwed down or be attatched with some kind of tabs.  There should also be a wire that runs from the fan to the mother board.  Just unplug the fan, its really that simple.  Then take that fan to a store and find one that's the same size.  Its hard to find a specific guide for that stuff, especially with laptops because that's all proprietary. "
    Thanks 

And at all who helped thank you. From what everyone says it does not look like I am over reacting. 
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By jmrwacko
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Geno said:
    I mean if you have an actual case and you've got time to waste, take it to a lawyer. Maybe they'll at least settle with you and you can get a better laptop.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @JoeyIA said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Flip the computer over and unscrew it.  When you remove the bottom case you should be able to see the fan.  The fan should either be screwed down or be attatched with some kind of tabs.  There should also be a wire that runs from the fan to the mother board.  Just unplug the fan, its really that simple.  Then take that fan to a store and find one that's the same size.  Its hard to find a specific guide for that stuff, especially with laptops because that's all proprietary. "
    Thanks  And at all who helped thank you. From what everyone says it does not look like I am over reacting.  "
    Be careful opening the thing yourself and tinkering with it, as that may violate your warranty further and leave you even further high and dry. They'll have ammunition against you. Save that for after you know nothing else will be done.

I also highly doubt you'll be able to replace the fan yourself, as most laptops I've ever seen use very specific-made fans that are sometimes even hard-wired to the system. Unplugging it will probably make your system overheat unless you leave the case open at all times, which kind of defeats the purpose of a portable laptop.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AndrewB said:

" @JoeyIA said:

Thanks  And at all who helped thank you. From what everyone says it does not look like I am over reacting.  "
    Be careful opening the thing yourself and tinkering with it, as that may violate your warranty further and leave you even further high and dry. They'll have ammunition against you. Save that for after you know nothing else will be done.  I also highly doubt you'll be able to replace the fan yourself, as most laptops I've ever seen use very specific-made fans that are sometimes even hard-wired to the system. Unplugging it will probably make your system overheat unless you leave the case open at all times, which kind of defeats the purpose of a portable laptop. "
    I was told my entire warranty is gone. That its fully voided for repairs at all. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB
    @The_Laughing_Man:  Ah... my bad.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AndrewB said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  Ah... my bad. "
    I have one more thing I can try. Gonna talk to the people I bought the laptop from 

I am going on the " They lied to me about 40 times" Thing. 
    Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chandu83
    @Coombs: Lol. That was funny.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Ferginator4k

Man that sucks, you attempt to maintain you laptop and it voids your warranty.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ferginator4k said:
    " Man that sucks, you attempt to maintain you laptop and it voids your warranty. "
    They claim I spilled a lot on it. Which I did not. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.