Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I Done Goofed, Need Help Please!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey guys, I got a WD 2 TB Passport to use for my Xbox One. Well I realized you have to make a partition for the Xbox to recognize it so I looked up how to do it on my PC. Anyways I made it as far as shrinking volume in Disk Management but I put the wrong amount to partition. So in trying to figure out how to delete the created partition I tried deleting the volume which ended up in deleting the whole drive and now my PC won't recognize the external drive.

Please let me know if there's a way to fix this so my PC can recognize the drive again!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dave_Tacitus
    an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By an_ancient

I don't know of any graphical tool to make that super easy and user safe, but using the commands outlined in this article should do the trick.

However make 100% sure that you select the correct disk lest you format your boot drive or some other plugged in usb device. http://www.howtogeek.com/235824/how-to-clean-a-flash-drive-sd-card-or-internal-drive-to-fix-partition-and-capacity-problems/

If you have data you want to recover from that drive, then stop any kind of write operation to it and report back, someone will surely know of some good tools you can use.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@an_ancient: It's a brand new drive. I'm just trying to get Windows to recognize the drive again so I can actually partition again. I'll take a look at your article

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd try a third-party tool like @dave_tacitus suggests. I don't think you can actually damage the disk using Disk Management, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Probably just something weird with Disk Management.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Xbox One will just do whatever formatting is required to us it. Have you tried plugging it in there?

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Going off of memory right now, I think you have to go into Disk Management and "initialize" it again.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@an_ancient: Was able to keep going till I cleaned the drive from the command prompt. Wasn't sure how to proceed from there. I went ahead with @dave_tacitussuggestion and used the program. I had to guess on whether to use MBR or GPT when setting it back up ([picked GPT) and it seemed everything was ok with being able to partition the drive but this only worked because the drive was only recognized in the freeware program or in the command prompt. It still didn't show up like a drive normally would on PC but whatever for now because the Xbox is recognizing it now.

@cameron said:

Also, I'm pretty sure the Xbox One will just do whatever formatting is required to us it. Have you tried plugging it in there?

I would have thought so because that was my first step but nope

Thanks guys!

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By szlifier

@colourful_hippie: Sometimes Windows 7-10 stops mounting the drive i.e doesn't assign a letter and it won't show up in My Computer. You have to assign a letter by right clicking the partition in Disk Management. That is unless Xbox formats the drive in a weird way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.