Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I need a new video card. I know nothing. Help.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By development

Yep, another one of these. I'm getting paid soon and I need to blow this money fast. I know absolutely nothing about video cards, other than for some reason manufacturers spend a lot of time making these things look cool. Why do you care what your video card looks like?

Anyway, help me out. Here's my current video card: Intel HD Graphics 4600

I want something that can play Dark Souls 2 at 1080p with an uninterrupted 60fps. The cheapest card that can do that is what I want. In return you will have my hearty thanks.

Oh yeah, and my computer tower is pretty big and roomy... is that the main limiter in regards to what cards I can get? Or are certain cards only applicable to certain... other parts... or something? Help.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BigBoss1911

Can you post the rest of your specs? Need to know what kind of motherboard/ powersupply you have and such to see what your pc can support.Im going to assume it's not the greatest, because Im pretty sure Intel HD is integrated graphics.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bigboss1911: Yeah it is integrated, his motherboard might not even have a slot for a graphics card.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The cheapest thing to get Dark Souls 2 at 1080 and 60fps huh, Probably a GTX 660 Ti or something.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

@corruptedevil said:

@bigboss1911: Yeah it is integrated, his motherboard might not even have a slot for a graphics card.

Or a PSU that would even power it or have the appropriate connectors to connect to a modern discrete GPU.

This is definitely not enough information to go on.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Rowr

Because of the thread title, i read the OP like this guy is on the bus in the movie speed.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you post the rest of your specs? Need to know what kind of motherboard/ powersupply you have and such to see what your pc can support.Im going to assume it's not the greatest, because Im pretty sure Intel HD is integrated graphics.

Intel HD is integrated, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have a high end CPU that has an Intel HD iGPU, I just have it disabled. Of course, some machines run solely on that iGPU and don't even have a PCI-E slot for a discrete graphics card, so there's that.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By development

@corruptedevil said:

Those assholes gave me an integrated card? I don't know much, but I know that isn't something you want.

Anyways:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz

ManufacturerIntel
    Speed3.1 GHz
    Number of Cores4
    CPU ID
    Family06
    Model3C

Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

ManufacturerIntel
    ChipsetIntel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Dedicated Memory256 MB
    Total Memory1.7 GB
    Pixel Shader Version5.0
    Vertex Shader Version5.0
    Hardware T & LYes

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Service Pack1
    Size64 Bit
    EditionHome Premium
    Version6.1.7601

Anything else you need?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

@development: The Intel HD Graphics 4600 is part of your CPU, it isn't a separate "card".

What is needed is the manufacturer and model number of this PC that you have, which sounds like it may be a Dell. I'm going to go out on a limb early on here and say that you are pretty much screwed, but let's see that model number and what can be done with what you have.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Yeah, the PSU and the motherboard. I'm guessing you bought a prefab computer so if you give us the system model that should be enough.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

Those assholes gave me an integrated card? I don't know much, but I know that isn't something you want.

Anyways:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Anything else you need?

Power Supply and motherboard info

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

We need to know the Power Supply, it probably should be around 600 watt with 30 amps and a 12v Rail. You find this out by opening the case and reading the side of the Power Supply; which is the thing that the cord going from your wall to the computer is plugged into (just in case you aren't sure).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike

@gnomeonfire said:

We need to know the Power Supply, it probably should be around 600 watt with 30 amps and a 12v Rail. You find this out by opening the case and reading the side of the Power Supply; which is the thing that the cord going from your wall to the computer is plugged into (just in case you aren't sure).

You're also assuming that the thing he bought has a power supply with free PCI-E power connectors. A lot of them simply don't - which is why we asked for the model number. There are all kinds of problems to consider when trying to upgrade an off the shelf PC.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This helps! I need directions like this. I know nothing. An embarrassing amount of nothing, really.

It's not a prefab computer. Went to a computer shop; told them what I wanted; they made me a cheap computer that did what I wanted. They said it was "totally upgradable" so at this point it sounds like they lied right to my face (they knew I wanted it for game-related things).

Power Supply ID (I think): sl - 8320BTX

BRB trying to find motherboard ID...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gnomeonfire said:

This helps! I need directions like this. I know nothing. An embarrassing amount of nothing, really.

It's not a prefab computer. Went to a computer shop; told them what I wanted; they made me a cheap computer that did what I wanted. They said it was "totally upgradable" so at this point it sounds like they lied right to my face (they knew I wanted it for game-related things).

Power Supply ID (I think): sl - 8320BTX

BRB trying to find motherboard ID...

It can still be totally upgradeable even if they didn't slot a discreet GPU in it. If they built you a computing for gaming things and it was serving you well until just now, it sounds like they did their job perfectly fine.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike

http://www.soly-tech.com/00resserver.php?pid=40&mid=69

It's a 300w bottom of the barrel OEM PSU, doesn't even look like it has a single PCI-E power connector on it. It won't be enough to power any modern respectable GPU.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: Well okay, then. I'll take your word for it.

I think I found my Motherboard: It's this: ASRock H87M. If there's a more specific number on this thing I'm not seeing it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: You're giving piecemeal information but not the basics...is this an off the shelf prebuilt like from Dell, a custom built, did someone build it for you, or what? Is there an overall model number or manufacturer?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By development

@mb: Like I said above it was custom built by a computer shop; it's not a prefab like a Dell.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mike

I think you may be able to run an entry level card like the GTX 750 Ti. Anything more than that is going to involve replacing the PSU. That thing is a piece of no-name bargain bin garbage.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: If I wanted to take a decent step up and get an adequate power supply, what would you recommend? The GTX 750 Ti looks plenty powerful for what I wanna do, but I don't like that you said "may be able to run."

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mike

You could go with the Corsair Builder Series CX600M. You should be able to run almost any GPU with that thing, and it's the exact same physical size as the POS PSU that the shop built your PC with so it will install quite easily. (I checked the specifications on both PSUs to be sure)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Corevi
    @development said:

@mb: If I wanted to take a decent step up and get an adequate power supply, what would you recommend? The GTX 750 Ti looks plenty powerful for what I wanna do, but I don't like that you said "may be able to run."

I highly recommend the Seasonic SS-660XP2, it's more expensive than the one @mb linked but a higher wattage and it's one I have experience with.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTX 750 TI is made for PC's with OEM 300w power supply's. That card would be overkill for DS2 at 60 fps. You can almost get solid 60 in DS2 with a shitty Asus 440 gt.

If you plan on keeping this PC for a long time, then look into upgrading your power supply. Otherwise, just get the 750 Ti.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By development

@mb: @corruptedevil: @71ranchero: Awesome, thanks guys. I'll probably get the power supply MB linked. Assuming I do, would it be dumb to still get the GTX 750 Ti (I want to be able to upgrade it if I so choose)? I like the price of the 750 Ti and I'm not really planning on playing anything too demanding in the immediate future (seriously, I pretty much only play Dark Souls 1 & 2).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: @corruptedevil: @71ranchero: Awesome, thanks guys. I'll probably get the power supply MB linked. Assuming I do, would it be dumb to still get the GTX 750 Ti? I like the price of the 750 Ti and I'm not really planning on playing anything too demanding (seriously, I pretty much only play Dark Souls 1 & 2).

If that's the case you should just get the 750 Ti first and see if it works. It probably will. If it does, you don't need to bother with the PSU.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By cornbredx

@development: 750 ti is fine, but you could do better if you wanted. That being said as well DS2, as surprising as this is, is not that difficult to run so you could probably get a lesser card if you wanted.

It's not a bad card, though, either way and it's fairly inexpensive regardless. I think you'll do fine with it.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: That is a good and sensible point. I'd have thought of it myself if I wasn't so bedazzled by all these serial numbers and specifications. Case closed. Thanks for the help!

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hmoney001
    development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001: Thanks for that. I remember ending up on a similar Tom's Hardware list when I was doing this hunt a while back, but I ended up getting it built for me. I'll keep it bookmarked.

So I have one last question:

Why do these look different?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3753-KR

Obviously one is directly from the manufacturer, but they're also the same exact price while one seemingly only has 1-less fan. Is that the only difference worth noting (other than the implicit size decrease)? I'm looking at the details, and -- while I have no idea what these things mean -- they seem the same.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corevi

@development: The first one has 2 fans, the second one only has one. That's it really. More fans means less heat which decreases the chance of overheating and allows you to overclock it further (don't do that).

They are the same price because the first one is on sale for $20 cheaper than usual.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001: Thanks for that. I remember ending up on a similar Tom's Hardware list when I was doing this hunt a while back, but I ended up getting it built for me. I'll keep it bookmarked.

So I have one last question:

Why do these look different?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3753-KR

Obviously one is directly from the manufacturer, but they're also the same exact price while one seemingly only has 1-less fan. Is that the only difference worth noting (other than the implicit size decrease)? I'm looking at the details, and -- while I have no idea what these things mean -- they seem the same.

You want to make sure you get a 750 ti that does NOT require additional power for fans. You want a reference model or equivalent.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: Or he could just get this combo and be set.

Fuck it, I'm doing this. MB made me hate my power supply so this seems like a deal. Thanks for the help, everybody.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.