Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I was thinking about getting some PC games

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Ever since I went to college in fall '07, I simply stopped investing into a PC gaming.  Simply put, I had less money to spend on PC parts, less time to invest into research and made a propriety to have a Laptop for portability (at the time, I was traveling to school and back 4 hours a day).  In addition, My father was paying for my Laptop, and simply put, he hates desktops.

So my old computer broke, died, and was replaced under my old warranty policy.  The computer I have now actually makes for a pretty good gaming PC, in addition of some nice extra features such as a Blu-Ray player and a few other things.  While there are some games it can't play at all (such as Mass Effect 2), there are quite a few games I can still play.  That being said, anyone care to help form my list.  Also, please help filter bad, overrated games.  I'm not a Graphics whore, I prefer gameplay.  In fact most of my old computers I used to build were minimum specs. I'm also tolerant of controls, but I am not looking for something to be completely fucked up.  But I do want something that works out of the box.

List
    -The Orange Box
    -BioShock
    - BioShock 2
    -Civilization 1, 2, 3, 4
    -Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    -Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 (Steam Version)
    -Warcraft BattleChest
    -Starcraft Battlechest
    -Diablo Battlechest
    -System Shock 1 and 2
    -Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, Pandora Tommorrow, Double Agent, Conviction
    -Crysis
    -Dragon Age Orgins
    -Fallout 3
    -Black and White
    -Empire: Total War
    -Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
    -Guild Wars
    -Rise of Nations
    -Battlefield Bad Company 2
    -Age of Empires, 1,2, 3
    -Doom 3
    -MechWarrior 4
    -Thief 1, 2,3
    -Gears of Wars
    -Halo 2
    -Boarderlands
    -Torchlight
    -Prey
    -Crimson Skies
    -Aquaria
    -Napoleon: Total War
    -Quake 1, 2, 4
    -Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
    -Rome: Total War

More Suggestions are welcomed.

Also Here are my specs for those looking.

CPU:   AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620  
    CPU Speed:  2.49 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.6065 GHz  
    RAM:  3.7 GB
    Video Card:  ATI display adapter (0x9712 
    Video Ram:  1.9 GB 
    Pixel Shader: 4.0
    Vertex Shader: 4.0 

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Good list! :)
    I recommend that you also get X-COM: UFO defence, all Sam & Max episodes and Dawn of War 2

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By yinstarrunner

Pretty good list. Here are a few games I'd recommend you check out:
    -Mount & Blade: Warband
    -Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague
    -S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    -Tropico 3
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum
    -Killing Floor
    -Plants vs. Zombies
    -Trine
    -Braid

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Posting your specs would help a little. I just finished DA:O on the PC (played on my partitioned macbook) and yes its pretty buggy in some parts (Awakening especially) and yes everyone has wooden teeth but its totally worth a look. Im just going to reccomend Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 3, Empire Earth 4+, Civ 4, and (if your computer can handle it) Dawn of War. Mostly I'm reccomending these cus they're PC exclusive. There are a lot of console ports on the PC that technically look better but are also kind of a mess so you might want to stick with the console versions for them. Try and narrow your scope to games made for the PC and you can avoid a lot of headaches from sloppy ports like GTA4. In a perfect world the PC version of every game would also be the best version but its not a perfect world.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Godwind
    @ryanwho said:

" Posting your specs would help a little. I just finished DA:O on the PC (played on my partitioned macbook) and yes its pretty buggy in some parts (Awakening especially) and yes everyone has wooden teeth but its totally worth a look. Im just going to reccomend Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 3, Empire Earth 4+, Civ 4, and (if your computer can handle it) Dawn of War. Mostly I'm reccomending these cus they're PC exclusive. There are a lot of console ports on the PC that technically look better but are also kind of a mess so you might want to stick with the console versions for them. Try and narrow your scope to games made for the PC and you can avoid a lot of headaches from sloppy ports like GTA4. In a perfect world the PC version of every game would also be the best version but its not a perfect world. "

I was using System Requirements Lab to test my specs against the game.

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx

But if you need to know my specs.

CPU:   AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620  
    CPU Speed:  2.49 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.6065 GHz  
    RAM:  3.7 GB
    Video Card:  ATI display adapter (0x9712 
    Video Ram:  1.9 GB 
    Pixel Shader: 4.0
    Vertex Shader: 4.0

Also, what makes these ports suck so much?  I've had sub-par versions of games before on console and I seem to be able to manage with that.  Are these games really that bad?  Is it people being really picky?
    HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By HaroldoNVU

You might want to check the Humble Bundle as it includes Aquaria that you listed and Penumbra Overture that  yinstarrunner recommended. Also, by getting the humble bundle you get a discount code to get all three Penumbra games for 5 bucks.  And remeber to log into Steam to get Portal for free.

A few recommendations:
    - Braid
    - Trine
    - World of Goo
    - Sam & Max (all three seasons)
    - Torchlight
    - Altitude 
    - Dragon Age: Origins
    - Machinarium

Also, don't get Splinter Cell - Conviction if you don't have a stable internet connection.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust
    • Theme Hospital 
    • F.E.A.R.
    • Clive Baker's Undying
    • Lucidity
    • Deus Ex
    • Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
    • Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
    • Knights of the Old Republic
    • Knights of the Old Republic 2
    • Fallout 1 and 2
    • Sanitarium
    • Mount and Blade
    • Sid Meier's Pirates
    Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

Company of Heroes, Red Orchestra: Ostfront, Beat Hazard, Command & Conquer Series, Dawn of War (Will definitely run on your laptop), Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Warlord, Dawn of Discovery and Flotilla. 

Company of Heroes, is the only one that might be a stretch but there is a SP demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.