Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

i7 vs. Xeon

MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MacEG

Anyone have legit benchmark statistics comparing the two? Tried Googling it and just got a bunch of forums comparing them but nothing that seemed too legit.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Xeons are for servers and workstations, and i7's are more for performance and gaming.

That's all you need to know, really. You probably want an i7.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

The Xeons are the highest end batches of whatever is the current desktop series. Spec-wise, they are the same as their corresponding i7s. However they're meant to run for much longer periods of time (max load 24/7 for months) and also carry a high priority high quality tech support channel with Intel (or so I've heard). Their superior steppings also reduce heat and voltage requirement, allowing for maximum overclocking, which is why most PCmark and 3Dmark world records are set on Xeons. They are also capable of going multisocket, or they may have more cores (up to 8 or 12 at the moment compared to the conventional 4 in the desktop variants). There are also hardware coded features such as ECC (error correction coding) that are beneficial in high throughput environments. The price is obviously much higher for all of these features though.  

Other Xeons might be exactly the same as their desktop counterparts, e.g. W3520 and Core i7 920 and are simply marketed differently. 

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mosdl

From what I've seen, the difference between an i5 and i7 is very small.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ColMirage
    @mosdl: It has nothing to do with Xeon vs i7?

But yeah, you don't want a Xeon unless you want to run a high end server or something.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By spaceturtle
    @mosdl said:
    " From what I've seen, the difference between an i5 and i7 is very small. "
    For gaming, yes. But the i7 is overall faster and better. Obviously I mean, really. :P
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#7  Edited By citizenkane

Moved topic to the PC forum.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mosdl
    @ColMirage said:
    " @mosdl: It has nothing to do with Xeon vs i7?  But yeah, you don't want a Xeon unless you want to run a high end server or something. "
    My comment was cut off, sorry bout that, meant to add that if you are looking at an i7, you should also consider an i5.
    MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MacEG
    @Geno said:

" The Xeons are the highest end batches of whatever is the current desktop series. Spec-wise, they are the same as their corresponding i7s. However they're meant to run for much longer periods of time (max load 24/7 for months) and also carry a high priority high quality tech support channel with Intel (or so I've heard). Their superior steppings also reduce heat and voltage requirement, allowing for maximum overclocking, which is why most PCmark and 3Dmark world records are set on Xeons. They are also capable of going multisocket, or they may have more cores (up to 8 or 12 at the moment compared to the conventional 4 in the desktop variants). There are also hardware coded features such as ECC (error correction coding) that are beneficial in high throughput environments. The price is obviously much higher for all of these features though.  

Other Xeons might be exactly the same as their desktop counterparts, e.g. W3520 and Core i7 920 and are simply marketed differently.  "

Hey thanks Geno and others. I'm a PC guy myself but a variety of factors have more or less forced me to work on Macs and learn the ins and outs of OSX. Not too bad although I'll still recommend a PC to anyone who asks. Now that OSX supports i7 processors I've started experimenting... Anyways, thanks again all.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By korwin

Have a mate who ran a server chip for a while (Opteron), overclocked like a beast.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

I think the problem with going with Xeon is that the memory is hella expensive.   So it's probably not practical for the normal consumer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.